WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    April-

Sorry to hear about your son's setbacks, sounds like the docs and hospital are on top of it. Praying for his continued recovery.

And hope your dad is responding well to his antibiotics.

Regarding shin splints - the ortho doc I went to a few weeks ago said calf raises help deter shin splints, perhaps they are part of your stretching routine. I have to remind myself to keep doing them as I've been more prone to shin splints lately too.

Ice packs are our best friend some days. :p I keep several in rotation.

You are having quite a bumpy start to the first couple weeks of spring! ((HUGS)) I hope things start to go smoother for you real soon.

Happy Easter <3

Lanette B)
    Sunny SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    what is everyone cooking for tomorrow??

Church is doing a fried chicken potluck(they provide the fried chicken and everyone brings sides and/or desserts.
    I will be baking a pineapple coconut cake plus some corn

At home(dh and ds aren't going to church with me)- I will bake some salmon to go with tempura shrimp, steamed asparagus(won't be as good as what I picked at mom's but better than nothing), macaroni salad, deviled eggs plus a choc. cake that I need to bake this afternoon.
    Most of the prep work is done- just need to bake the two cakes.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie - I'm glad you like the Country Girl Yoga - I would definitely start with just the yoga moves (that's why I highlighted them) and then just add the calisthenics in one at a time. That's advice for everyone, on any exercise beginning - add one thing, one minute, one repetition at a time. I've hurt myself more times than I can count bailing into exercise too fast.

April - Sorry things got even harder with your dad's issues added on, but well done for taking care of yourself!

Rita - Just keep coming back, darlin', we're here for you.

Annie - I'm sorry your dad fell, glad that he didn't break anything, and sorry that he probably won't remember how he got hurt. Glad to hear that you'll get to attend your reunion in Las Vegas, too!

Adventures in outdoor home improvement:
    Corey got the bottom half of his raised beds filled with the rotted logs from the various tree falls (woot for Hügelkultur! 😀). Then he plowed our old compost pile down with the tiller and moved all that over to finish filling in the bottom half.

After that, he took two massive bags of grass clippings from work (landscape company) and filled in another layer of his 16-foot-long beds. Another layer of dirt or two, and an arch of hog wire over the top, and he'll be ready to start putting plants in when it's time. He also chain sawed all the remainder of that last big tree fall and got what wasn't used in his beds over to the burn pile... busy man.

So...while he was doing all that, I did three and a half hours of brick-laying, and feel like I've been rode hard and put away wet! After I stopped laying bricks, I staggered through a shower, and my gut went completely sideways afterward for about an hour.

Once all that settled down, we ran up to Lowes and picked up enough sand for me to get another day of bricklaying in either tomorrow or Monday. Probably Monday the way I feel right now. I think it's only two more days on the bricks, or at most three, and I'll take a picture then, I swear.

We made dinner out of a whomp-biscuit pizza crust made into pizza pockets. About 300 calories for mine, all told, which makes me happy, and less than a dollar per serving. Works for me, and that way Corey can shove whatever he wants in his, very individualized. I'm parked in front of the TV for the rest of the night, with no intention of moving anywhere. Hope it's a great night for all, or a day just passed.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Debbie -

Just cooking for me. I will either have spinach lasagna -which I made yesterday or maybe coconut shrimp from the freezer. With asparagus from my garden. I am getting a 3 year old Goldendoodle who will be staying with me for 7 days -I'm dog sitting. The dog is arriving about dinner time tomorrow. So maybe I'll do shrimp tonight. Hmmmmm I also have a bunch of tangerines (a neighbors tree) so I may make Tangerine custard for dessert, it is healthier than some desserts....

Kim in N. California

Cooking for four but will be eating alone- how it is with all meals here.

Can you share your recipe for tangerine custard?? Sounds wonderful
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    The shortness of breath may be from being overweight. Or it could be anxiety...I don't feel anxious...but have had shortness of breath caused by anxiety before.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

You should get it checked.

The very first symptom on the list for Congestive Heart Failure is "shortness of breath"
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17069-heart-failure-understanding-heart-failure

But there are other causes that should be checked as well.

5yq24n5jv8aq.png

Dyspnea, or shortness of breath, is the feeling that you can’t get enough air into your lungs. It might feel like your chest is tight, you’re gasping for air or you’re working harder to breathe. Heart and lung conditions are common causes of dyspnea.
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/symptoms/16942-dyspnea

With concern,
    Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited March 31
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    what is everyone cooking for tomorrow??

Not a single thing!

We get time off for Easter, but an Easter dinner isn't a big thing here.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    javaplace wrote: »
    @Snowflake1968 I have use in the past and it has helped with the tension\ stress in my neck.

kaljwdak6t5x.jpeg

Interesting ... I'm tempted to see if I can get something like that over here.

One additional thing I do to stretch out my neck and shoulders in the morning is to stand in front of the bathroom mirror and try to stand as tall as I can, stretch my neck as long as I can upward, and drop my shoulders.

I try to do that periodically at work too because I find that my natural stance is somewhat scrunched with my shoulders up a bit.

Machka in Oz