UK to USA Food Swap

Options
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post this or not...

I went round to a friends house last night and noticed that he had an array of American chocolate on his desk. I enquired about where he got it from and he said that he and his American pen-pal often exchange chocolate by post. Genius!

I keep finding amazing recipes and products that are available in the USA, that we can't get over here in the UK, so I wondered if anyone from accross the pond wanted to buddy-up with me me to do some food swaps. I can send you the best that our British cuisine has to offer - if you've never tried Marmite, you are missing out! And in turn you can send me some tasty USA treats (healthy ones preferably!)

If you're interested then just add me as a friend with a message :)

Thanks xxxx

Replies

• shannon121278
    Options
    Not sure if I would have much time to participate and be a good "pen pal" or "food swapper" with my life schedule right now, but I just wanted to say, this is a really cool idea you have. Maybe in the future if things slow down for me, I will look into something like this!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have one two words for you Graze Box..............why don't we have these over here!! We do get Marmite over here though I have never tried it............adding you to my friends list in 3...2....1 done.
  • prunella1066
    prunella1066 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sent you a message and what is Marmite anyway? ;)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    OMG, Marmite is one of those things you have to grow up on, I think. Horrible stuff. :devil:

I wouldn't mind some Lyle's, though.

I'm having trouble thinking of "American" stuff to send, though. I always have the same problem with my company's visitors from Japan.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Marmite...imagine a very thick, sickly gravy!

Hehe. The TV advert tagline is "You either love it or hate it!". I hate it personally! XD

I had a friend in the US once, and for my birthday she sent me the American Monopoly!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys :)

But I rather foolishly posted this at nearly midnight UK time, and I really need to get to bed! I will get back to everyone tomorrow :)

Nunight xxx
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

It's a mixture of melted rubber, brussel sprout, and ground down fish bones. Some people think it tastes good enough to spread on toast to eat, everyone else just uses it as a cheap alternative for tar.

It's revolting - don't go there.

(Marmite crisps, on the other hand are fantastic)

btw - it's a spread made from vegetable extract
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

It's a mixture of melted rubber, brussel sprout, and ground down fish bones. Some people think it tastes good enough to spread on toast to eat, everyone else just uses it as a cheap alternative for tar.

Vegemite is totally better. Just saying.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mmmm marmite!

A little goes a long way. Spread thinly on toast, cut into soldiers (thin fingers) and dipped into boiled egg...divine!
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Marmite is a by-product from beer brewing. It's the yeast left over. Not a fan!
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    marmite-404_685611c.jpg

Yeast Extract.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yeast Extract.
    Autolyzed yeast.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Yeast Extract.
    Autolyzed yeast.

Or, the more scientific term, "Crap" :P
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post this or not...

No
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Hello
  • thekaraokequeen
    Options
    mmmmmm i LOVE marmite-and yes, on toast. don't know whether you have Twiglets in the US? if you have it tastes like what's on those,yummy
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    marmite-404_685611c.jpg

Yeast Extract.
    Mmmm spread v thinly on hot toast!! But it is definitely an acquired taste!!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Vegemite is totally better. Just saying.

Totally agree.......Love Vegemite and cheese sanga........also yummy if you add lettuce to that.........
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Oh... I thought this post would be about what the eqiuvalent UK items are for some of the US foods mentioned (eggbeaters, cilantro(?), something(?) dash).... sorry, I forgot some of the names...

But I would be interested in this too....

I would love to try the skinny cow or high protein (Kashi ?) bars that everyone talks about.... or PB2 (I love peanut butter!)

I'm not sure what anyone would want from the UK though...
  • jooles0
    Options
    This is a GREAT idea. I am in the UK and have a MASSIVE list of things I would like from the USA and would happily put a box together from the UK to swap things.

Add me if you would like to play swaps.

By the way MARMITE RULES, full of B vitamins and yummmmmy