Starting over alcohol free

Options

Replies

• darrynpinto
    darrynpinto Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 6
    Options
    I just want to add something positive to all this - I was never a huge drinker to begin (not daily) but regular enough for it to be unhealthy (weekly). Like most people, I grew up thinking "alcohol in moderation is harmless" but recently found out that is scientifically wrong. In fact, it's a class 1 carcenogen! Because of this, my outlook has changed to the point where I don't really crave it so I've cut back massively.
    Oh so here's the positive part - I am really enjoying the other parts of my life that I was giving up for it - regular exercise, eating well, sleeping well, going for long walks etc. I recommend letting that be a motivation, it helps you take enjoyment from the good sides of what your new hobbies are rather than dwelling on the bad side of what you're giving up!
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us and well done on taking the steps!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just want to add something positive to all this - I was never a huge drinker to begin (not daily) but regular enough for it to be unhealthy (weekly). Like most people, I grew up thinking "alcohol in moderation is harmless" but recently found out that is scientifically wrong. In fact, it's a class 1 carcenogen! Because of this, my outlook has changed to the point where I don't really crave it so I've cut back massively.
    Oh so here's the positive part - I am really enjoying the other parts of my life that I was giving up for it - regular exercise, eating well, sleeping well, going for long walks etc. I recommend letting that be a motivation, it helps you take enjoyment from the good sides of what your new hobbies are rather than dwelling on the bad side of what you're giving up!
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us and well done on taking the steps!

You're right, it's definitely not harmless. There is evidence that it increases your risk of a number of cancers - here's a link if anyone wants to read about it https://cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/alcohol/alcohol-fact-sheet
    I also tend to not exercise the mornings after I've been drinking. I really like your idea of taking enjoyment from the good instead of focusing on the fact that your giving something up.
  • lilith40
    lilith40 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well. @Darlene_Oregon - you mentioned numbers changing when you quit drinking. What I can't believe is how much drinking affected my base heart rate. When I was drinking daily my bhr was in the 80s. Since I've mostly quit (had two days since January where I had 1 Guinness) my bhr has gone down to around 61 -65 beats per minute. I had days of being unable to sleep when I first quit but that's better now.
    I was a daily drinker as well. When I was young and going to clubs/bars I would binge drink on weekends. As a got older I started day drinking and drinking daily. It got to the point where on weekends I was having a drink when I woke up and going all day. During the week I'd start when I got home from work. Last year I quit for around 4 months but then started up again when I went to visit a girlfriend over the summer. That slowly led back to everyday drinking until I quit January 2024.

For me drinking and smoking go hand and hand. So I had to quit both. I feel so much better. I've lost almost 30lbs now, I got to the gym and am getting stronger. But I'm scared. Because it would be so easy to go back to where I was. I've been craving a cigarette lately. If I have even one, in no time I will be drinking and smoking all day again. It is so scary.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 9
    Options
    @kjamieson64and4 I haven't checked in for a couple of days. I hope you are still doing well with your sobriety. Don't worry if you slip. Just get back on the horse.
    I'm still struggling. I was doing really well for a while. But it's gotten back to the point that I'm drinking from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed.
    For me it's more a physical addiction (which can be scary). But I will make it! I can't wait until I can make it to Day 1!
    Good luck to you and take care!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @lilith40 I hope you're doing well. I'm still struggling a bit. I'm retired. So, sometimes when I can't sleep, I get up and have a few drinks and then go back to bed. When I wake up, I start all over again. Although, I'm drinking very light.
    Please don't start smoking again. I quit smoking in 2007 and haven't had a cigarette since. Right now I don't think I could smoke a cigarette. But, if I did, I could easily start again.
    I'm starting to feel more positive about quitting drinking. It may be a little rough. But I'm just going to have to tough it out.
    I recently found this 5% challenge on MFP. I guess it is a 10-week challenge. I started chatting with others and everyone seems very nice. I believe it starts on April 6th. I hope to be alcohol free by then. And I think this group may give me inspiration. You have to pick a team and I think I will be on Positively Strong 4 Life.
    Take care!
  • lilith40
    Options
    Hi @Darlene_Oregon - you are so right about not smoking. I learned that the hard way. I had quit for five years and one day decided I could just have one. Well that led to 5 more years of smoking. The last two years I've been on and off but now I'm really off and I don't ever want to go back.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. My husband has the same issues with not sleeping and he does the same thing as you. I'm happy though to hear you are feeling more positive about quitting. I keep telling myself how much better I feel without it - I feel healthier and stronger. Funny how it is so hard to give up the things that make us feel so awful.

I will look up the 5% challenge and see what its all about. It sounds interesting thanks so much for telling me about it.

One day at a time....
    Take care
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @lilith40 Nice hearing from you. My Mom quit smoking for 7 years and then started up again. My husband and I both used Chantix to quit back in 2007. I'm not sure how it works. But neither of us have wanted a cigarette since.
    How long has it been since you quit drinking?
    Thanks for the support...Take care!
  • lilith40
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon - I quit Jan 1st but there have been about 6 or 7 days during that time when I've drank.
    Btw - I joined the 5% group. Positively Strong 4 Life was closed so I joined Rain Dancers.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @lilith40 - Sounds like you're doing good on the alcohol thing. Glad you joined the 5% group. I have no idea how it works. But, we'll find out.
  • CateAussie
    CateAussie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how it works either, but hopefully we'll work it out as we go.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 701 Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon, @lilith40 and @CateAussie, I used to participate in the 5% challenges and they're a lot of fun. I started when I was on an older website called Sparkpeople (it closed down in 2021); I believe that's were the challenge started.
    As I recall, it basically works like this:
    The main challenge is to lose 5% of your starting weight (hence the name :smile: )
    The leaders set up different destinations for the teams to virtually race to each week. You log two different things to help your team "land" at each week's destination.
    The first is the minutes of exercise you do each day/week. This does not have to be heavy duty exercise, it can be anything that is a "planned" exercise (as opposed to your normal daily movement).
    The second is what they call "Living the Good Life" goals that they set every week. These can be things like decluttering a space in your house, finding a new, healthy recipe, small things like that. These change every week.
    This is a fun challenge - you are expected to participate, but perfection is not required or even expected.
    Darlene, when I saw you mention it above, I went to rejoin (haven't been participating or about a year). I wasn't able to get on the Positively Strong 4 Life team, so I signed up for the Shape Shifters.
    When the start date gets closer they'll post a lot more info, and I'm sure will explain a lot better and in more detail than what I have here.
    Hope to see you all there!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 - Sounds fun!
    I haven't been exercising very much lately. I haven't mentioned it, but I've been having some vision problems in my right eye for about two weeks now. My vision is reduced and my depth perception is off. It's even hard reading these posts and replying. I'm using my desktop right now. Because when using my laptop, if I try to click on something with my index finger (touch screen), I end up clicking the link above or below the link I intended. My desktop have a regular mouse. So, it's easier to aim *LOL*
    I made an appointment with an Ophthalmologist. But I couldn't get an appointment until April 11th.
    I, of course, did a little Googling about my condition. But it's not always good to do that. One time, my neighbor said, "You have to be careful with Googling your symptoms. You may find out that you have an enlarged prostate". Ha Ha
    See you all later!
  • Born2Run1958
    Born2Run1958 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MONTH DIDN'T DRANK TOTALS
    JAN 31 0 31
    FEB 21 8 29
    MAR 10 4 14
    APR
    MAY
    JUNE
    JULY
    AUG
    SEPT
    OCT
    NOV
    DEC
    TOTAL 62 12 74

It's not sexy, but I update a simple excel spreadsheet every day. I just had oral surgery last week and drinking doesn't even sound good. Of course, being in pain and not drinking I have lost 3 pounds. So there is the upshot. Hope everyone is doing well.
  • lilith40
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 - thanks for the info, its good to know. I'm looking forward to starting it.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon I'm still doing well! Just terrible about checking in. I am still sober and now I'm down 25 lbs. Can't believe I'm still going strong. I've never been this far along on my own. I also was at my personal worst weight of 288 lbs (I'm about 5ft 8in) in January when I decided I needed to take my health more seriously (not just for my liver). I'm now 263 lbs and have just over a 100 to go to reach my goal. Have you had any luck reaching AF days yet this year?

For those that don't know me because of my absence I'm seeking sober life after drinking nearly every day since a few months before getting out of the military. I also drank nearly every day while I was in with the exception of a stint in rehab in Nov 2021 followed by mandatory urine tests to make sure I was on the wagon (I wasn't I just figured out how to get out of it). Up until Jan 17th I drank 3/4 to a whole fifth of rum every evening. Since the 17th I've had a couple slip ups, but have not had one since Feb 21st.

My biggest struggle continues to be sleep, but it is slowly starting to improve.

I wish everyone the absolute best and welcome if you're new to the thread! If you found it, chances are you're in the right place.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I used to be a daily drinker and didn't think much of it. Fast forward to today, I have cut way back on it. The reason for this is I was having some health issues. Alcohol and a bad diet was the main cause of them.
    I now see alcohol for what it really is POISON. Once you educate yourself on what is does you may change your relationship with it.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene - It's so good to hear from you again. You're doing great. Keep it up!
    I still do not have a single day alcohol free. I had planned on that day being today. But, living in Oregon, the liquor stores are closed on Easter. So I stocked up for the weekend. I bought two fifths on Saturday. And drank it all. So my husband bought me a pint this morning. Day 1 really needs to be tomorrow. I have to do my labs (blood work) next Monday for an upcoming Dr appointment. And I hope my liver enzymes aren't through the roof.
    Did the weight start coming off pretty easily once you quit drinking? I weighed myself this morning. And I weighed 205 lbs, which is my new personal worst. (I'm only 5'3") I know I'll start losing once I quit completely. And I hope I haven't destroyed my liver.
    @xbowhunter - Sounds like you're doing good. Keep up the good work!
    Take care everyone! And I hope to be back soon to announce Day 1!

• AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon I believe in you, but you gotta believe in you too. 100%. I'm afraid your liver enzymes will be bad, but I'm not sure about through the roof. Potentially they will because you and I have very similar drinking habits and mine were notably bad, and I'm younger so I have that healing edge going for me (for now haha). I understand about stocking up, I have done the same when I know of upcoming closures. If I don't I tend to "borrow" other people's liquor or at least I did up until recently. That being said, your liver can still get healthier if you allow it even if it's somewhat destroyed at the moment, but don't lean on that too hard or it'll be more difficult to quit in my experience.
    Yes the weight has come off easily. A fifth is over 1500 calories so cutting that out makes a huge difference all on it's own. A pound of fat is about 3500 calories so just two days of drinking, not including eating will make you gain pretty quick, especially if it makes you lazy the way it does for me.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene - Thanks for the support. I really need to do this tomorrow. Besides gaining weight, everyday activities are getting more difficult. Exercise is pretty much impossible. I need to listen to the old Nike commercial, "Just Do It!.
    I had a close friend back in the 90's (she's since moved away). We both drank quite a bit. Back then it was beer. The next day, I would get more beer. But she wouldn't. She would say, "You just need to tough it out!". I do believe that is what I have to do.
    The liquor store closes at 7 pm tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to post "Day 1" at 7:01 pm PST :)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!