Antibiotics & Alcohol

Options
ddsb1111
ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
Last Friday I had a small procedure done and will be on antibiotics for the next 10 days or so. Well, yesterday I had 2 celebratory drinks (a work thing) and today I’m a little annoyed at myself that I didn’t just say no. But, I didn’t want to explain to anyone why I wasn’t drinking when it was for me in the first place.

Anyway, is it more serious than I think, or is it fine and I can just move on? I’m realizing how much my work culture is around alcohol now, and how many more times I’ll be faced with this situation in the next 2 weeks. Pretty eye opening.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    What is your concern? That the antibiotics won't work? Because two drinks isn't going to change your response. Alcohol certainly doesn't help the body heal, though. It's a poison.

Also, I quit drinking many years ago and it's really no one's business. I've only run into just a couple people who pushed after I said no thanks...and those were people who I really don't care what they think.

"No thanks on the beer, but I'll have a(n) iced tea/water/coke/lemonade," etc.

The first person who pushed I just ignored. The second one I said, louder, "I said no thanks, but I'll take that iced tea." There are lots of ways to not answer that issue...you are an adult, you don't need to explain.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Call and ask your pharmacist
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Thank you, it’s good to know I didn’t derail too much. Because of my slight annoyance at myself I’m sure it’ll be easier passing the next time. Was just in my head about it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    get well fast...
    and don't drink whatever you don't want to drink!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Not that you owe anyone an explanation, but next time you can always say that you are on antibiotics and your doctor told you not to drink.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Deoends on the antibiotic. I've been on some where I was told do not deink as it would intwrfere with the antibiotic. I have no problem telling people I can't drink because of a medicarion I'm on. They don't need to know specifics and they usually leave me alone after I tell them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    At work events where one was "expected" to drink, I'd sometimes quietly order a soda water with lime, perhaps away from the table, and ask the waitperson to bring me the same if I asked for another drink. People tend to assume it's a vodka/soda or gin/soda. If I felt like a drink but not excess, I'd start with gin/soda/lime and quietly switch to soda/lime subsequently.

Yes, I know, shouldn't have to do this, blah blah blah. But it saves some friction in a work-related sodial setting. I wouldn't do it among actual friends because they wouldn't be jerks about someone choosing to skip alcohol.
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 2
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not that you owe anyone an explanation, but next time you can always say that you are on antibiotics and your doctor told you not to drink.

I think it was the context that I struggled with. They all went out of their way to see me and celebrate and I felt ….conflicted…. not accepting their celebratory drinks, I guess? I don’t know. I’m not the most comfy in social situations as it is and I froze lol.
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 2
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    At work events where one was "expected" to drink, I'd sometimes quietly order a soda water with lime, perhaps away from the table, and ask the waitperson to bring me the same if I asked for another drink. People tend to assume it's a vodka/soda or gin/soda. If I felt like a drink but not excess, I'd start with gin/soda/lime and quietly switch to soda/lime subsequently.

Yes, I know, shouldn't have to do this, blah blah blah. But it saves some friction in a work-related sodial setting. I wouldn't do it among actual friends because they wouldn't be jerks about someone choosing to skip alcohol.

This is really helpful, I’ll go this route for the next couple of weeks. It prevents more questions, assumptions, comments, and I’d like to have my energy directed on something more positive and away from me preferably. Thank you!