What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    @takinitalloff
    Do you need to use special oats (steel cut?) or a special treatment to get that risotto like texture? Years ago I had an oat risotto in a fancy restaurant served with dashi stock, green herb oil, pan fried fish, and crisp fish skin crackling and loved it. I still need to try to re-create that dish.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,852 Member
    edited March 30
    Options
    @acpgee I used Bob’s Red Mill Protein Oats, they are smaller and harder than the Quaker Old-Fashioned that I usually use. Not sure if that’s helpful since you’re not in the US, maybe look for small rolled oats, or high-protein oats? I cooked them on the stove with veggie bouillon, no special treatment. That dish you had sounds fabulous!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Spaghetti with a little pot of artichoke/truffle we dragged back from a vacation in Bologna last year, stretched with a little sauteed Chinese chive and the last couple of cherry tomatoes lying around. Cheddar and broccoli crisps, and grilled courgette.
    8pnlox0e7678.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Bagna cauda followed by pan fried sea bream and tamarind sauce with some air fryer oven chips.
    qaslt5vtmcf1.jpeg
    z9gve1rfgvxb.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    edited April 1
    Options
    Once in a while, I cook something that is so atrocious, the only reason I tell people about it is to warn them not to make the same mistake. I present to you: Ginger-Turmeric Bone Broth with Greens

I don't understand what went wrong, because this seems like it should have been a nice comforting broth, and I usually love Yewande Komolafe's food. But it really is horrible. I used mustard greens, but the broth itself is so bad, it wouldn't have mattered what greens I used.
    tz3xhdpizj4m.jpg
    Honestly, the only good thing about this was that it was hot. Yuck.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Once in a while, I cook something that is so atrocious, the only reason I tell people about it is to warn them not to make the same mistake.

I don't understand what went wrong, because this seems like it should have been a nice comforting broth, and I usually love Yewande Komolafe's food. But it really is horrible. I used mustard greens, but the broth itself is so bad, it wouldn't have mattered what greens I used.
    Honestly, the only good thing about this was that it was hot. Yuck.

I don't understand why this broth would be so awful. That said, my husband hates it when I put ginger in this lazy broth for a simple soup with greens.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/favorite-soup-brothy-gingery-ready-160000810.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANZjwIQdNN7BfVV6QyxAiALlCQoWcZel_DmAAug9-pS21SJEPKUx7pXv1acgsHSNV0blz_iw2URS6iP0waPf2F55z5gzM1htm-kFrYBMdi2BqS18uUUuVU0k5IHHyh2eXNI5tAYCNnQYpO6KhbpeK4UcwqSAOQhilxVzvJ74oCoV&guccounter=2

• takinitalloff
    edited April 2
    Options
    Braised Lamb Shanks with Peppers -- hearty comfort food. I ate this in small servings throughout the week, reheated with some roasted Brussels Sprouts or topped with a handful of chopped romaine. It wasn't quite good to make it into my permanent rotation, but I did like it. I imagine it would be great with the potato noodles featured in the article, but since I'm eating low-carb, I didn't try those.
    ocweom71cqoy.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    edited April 2
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I don't understand why this broth would be so awful. That said, my husband hates it when I put ginger in this lazy broth for a simple soup with greens.
    Yeah, like I said, I don't understand it either. Maybe too much turmeric? I really don't know. I love this Spicy Pork and Mustard Greens Soup which has mustard greens and ginger, and I also enjoyed the Golden Chicken Vegetable Soup with Chickpeas which has plenty of turmeric, so I don't think it's any of those individual ingredients. (I've eaten all of them in other dishes of course.) The sum of that broth just didn't work for me at all. If you ever want to try it, let me know what you think... but like I said, I wouldn't recommend it :#
  • takinitalloff
    edited April 2
    Options
    One-Pot Braised Chicken with Coconut Milk, Tomato, and Ginger (good, though I forgot to add the cilantro garnish) plus a version of Callaloo which was not as good as other versions I've tried. The flavors are a bit off, and the texture was too watery, for lack of a better word. I don't think I will repeat either one of these recipes, but the chicken was the clear winner out of these two.
    yhnu4n3apori.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Brisket sous vide in a Korean marinade last month pulled out of the freezer. Air fryer roast courgette and Belgian endive. Potato pave.
    f5hpikktvaon.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Brisket sous vide in a Korean marinade last month pulled out of the freezer. Air fryer roast courgette and Belgian endive. Potato pave.

potato pave! i'm gonna have to try it. i did get a couple of celeriac bulbs, will try them by end of the week.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Stole a page from my mom's book who put 3 stir fries on the table every night by judicious use of leftovers. Leftover beef with garlic and pepper warmed up in the microwave, green beans sauteed in leftover bagna cauda sauce, pomelo salad using dressing from last week's batch, seitan stir fry made from scratch tonight. Brown rice.
    rh43chry35vv.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Gai yang drumsticks where I froze the chicken in the marinade. Defrosting overnight in the marinade is much quicker than first defrosting and then marinating overnight and gives similar results. Pomelo salad from the batch made earlier in the week, stir fried cabbage, Portuguese carrots, air fryer oven chips.
    or3s2wpuamik.jpeg
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 467 Member
    edited April 5
    Options
    Gai yang drumsticks where I froze the chicken in the marinade. Defrosting overnight in the marinade is much quicker than first defrosting and then marinating overnight and gives similar results. Pomelo salad from the batch made earlier in the week, stir fried cabbage, Portuguese carrots, air fryer oven chips.
    or3s2wpuamik.jpeg

As always, looks yumtacular!
    ~ gr8 marinate as defrosting tip, ty @acpgee. Will be using!

Q ~ made a quick 'n easy cup of stir fry sauce/marinade from broth, a fast food packet of soy sauce, packet of chili sauce, honey packet & corn starch. Froze excess, and noticed liquids separated in the freezing. Thoughts?
    p0jqmuvpztqn.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    [
    Q ~ made a quick 'n easy cup of stir fry sauce/marinade from broth, a fast food packet of soy sauce, packet of chili sauce, honey packet & corn starch. Froze excess, and noticed liquids separated in the freezing. Thoughts?

Whenever I make marinades, salad dressings and favourite stir fry sauces I make extra and store in the fridge in squeeze bottles. It’s easy having them on hand. I will use jars for sauces that contain lumpy ingredients such as chopped onions or chillies. Most are made with non perishable ingredients and even the ones containing yoghurt or coconut milk last longer than the raw ingredients due to high salt or sugar content.

v243w96qjgdc.jpeg

PS. I would expect corn starch to separate as this even happens within an hour of making stir fry sauces which need stirring to mix in the settled corn starch before tossing into the wok.