Ages 70+

Options

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is ok with my daily posts. I REALLY need to be accountable and acknowledge my slips as well as successes. For thus month my three goals are to make healthy food choices, exercise daily and get a good night's sleep

Day 1 ...
    Eating ... stayed within calorie goal, although that is not my main focus. Most important ... ALL of my food choices were excellent. Looking at nutrients, I suspect I am consistently short on iron and calcium so will supplement.

Exercise ... 4+ miles with dog over 2 walks. Need to add some strength exercises at home this mo. Hopefully add gym next month.

Sleep ... my goal is to have a sleep score of 80 or greater (using Fitbit). Last night ...85 😀

Off to a good start for April.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day. Very rainy day here in Indiana, so getting dog walks in may be challenging.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited April 2
    Options
    @jan110144 Excellent start for the month!
    I like to read everyone's posts. They keep me on track + I learn from others what might work for me.
    It's great to hang around like minded people; whether in this community or our neighbour community. For the month of April I am committed to NO late night snacking. This means no snacking after 6:00pm. Having stated this I will have to be mindful of my intake of healthy foods during the day.
    Today is a run around day doing errands; good way to get the steps in.

@nsk1951 Congratulations, sorry for not acknowledging you sooner; to help you celebrate your 6MO post surgical mammogram. I for one really understand the ups and downs of BC. This year will be my 33YR of being a BC survivor. You are not alone. My second life is much better than the first; and yours will be as well. The disease brought out the warrior in me. I became quite fearless. Keep calm. Carry on. <3
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @jan110144 ... You definitely are starting out strong. Congrats! Sometimes I eat over my calorie limit, but it doesn't bother me as long as the food was whole, healthy foods. As far as sleep, that's a huge issue. Trying not to take a sleeping pill but then it's sometimes 5 in the morning before I start to get sleepy. I can only exercise a little so I admire your 4 mile walk!

Keep up the good work!
  • anthol1740
    anthol1740 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I turned 70 a couple of months ago, and am recovered from AFIB. I decided that I'm not too old to be concerned about my health and mortality. In the past few months, I've lost some of the weight I gained in the COVID/post COVID times. I weigh my food and count my calories. I'm even going to the gym, doing some cardio and weights.

I think the trick is finding something that motivates you. It helps me to hear others' success stories, their difficulties, and learn about strategies and techniques to stay motivated.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Today is off to being a good day. I slept well last night, saw the surgeon for my post surgery mammogram and exam office visit and did grocery shopping. It was chilly and raining outside, but I didn't mind. The surgeon said my surgery area is healing as expected and that my mammogram showed no active cancer at this time. Then she reminded me that I need to be monitored for 5 years at 6-mo intervals and we set up the appointments for late September mammogram and early October office visit. ... So I was outwardly calm and serene, but inwardly tense. And thus I ate ice cream as my meal today. A pint of pistachio/almond, and a cup of vanilla with 2 Tbsp of peanut butter. ... That took all the calories that I had available for today. Hope it was worth it. I think, right now, that it was.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @anthol1740 ... Absolutely NOT TOO LATE! So happy you've decided to focus on your health. There's so much we can do even at our age. I've been working on my plan for 3 years and am sure I've added many more years to my life plus the past 3 years have been good ones, getting rid of kidney disease and diabetes. The doctors couldn't believe it!
  • jan110144
    Options
    Good morning! Day 2 went well. Healthy eating choices, good sleep. Made my 10,000 step goal, but it was a bit challenging. Rainy most of the day, so pretty much did the 10,000 in one long walk (in gale force winds😟) Today will be challenging as the lousy weather continues and ibam going out for dinner and theater tonight). Will try to make good choices.

@BarbMessimer Yes, never too late! I think one of the tricks to successful aging is to NOT use age as an excuse to stop trying new things ... to focus on what can ibdo and not on what I can't. BTW ... have you tried Melatonin for sleep? I find it very helpful, once I figured out the right dosage for me. I also find that the nights I struggle are almost always when I have had very little exercise during the day.

@anthol1740 Motivation is such a challenge for me at times.I can wake up feeling very motivated in the morning only to see it totally disappear by evening! I am really trying to build good habits to see if I can substitute some discipline for motivation. I am also trying to figure out the things that undermine my efforts. (For example, I know that poor sleep is a major factor). One of the reasons I am so excited about joining this group is that it will help keep me focused and, through this daily posting, perhaps I can discover what is going on when my motivation crashes.

@nsk1951 great news on your check-up. I can only imagine how stressful those check-ups are at this point. Wishing you the best going forward.

Have a good day everone!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jan110144 ... I'm really happy to see you posting every day. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep up the good work!

I've tried melatonin and it didn't faze me. I've got in the habit of staying up late, watching old black and white movies and sleeping in, but I manage to get 7-8 hours of sleep in the end. Most nights I don't take a sleeping pill but might take Nyquil to get me drowsy and help my sinuses. I guess as long as I'm getting adequate sleep then it doesn't really matter.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    I'm reading a book; on the benefits of bone broth by Dr. Kellyanne Petrucci.
    I thought I would share what she wrote:

"We are so much more than bodies. We are also spiritual and energetic beings. And our health and weight are directly related to the environment we are in"

I am guilty of spending a lot of time; concentrating on my physical body.
    I would like to balance my thoughts on being more spiritual and commit to spending more time expending my energies into my community.

Just for today off to the Seniors Centre 45minutes treadmill and 45 minutes stretch and light weights.
    Have a great day B)
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jonni82014 ... "We are so much more than bodies. We are also spiritual and energetic beings. And our health and weight are directly related to the environment we are in"

Thank you for that quote. I've written it down to remind me. I agree. For good health, it's necessary to balance the physical, mental and spiritual. When that's off balance, we often lose control and find ourselves over-eating and gaining weight.
  • jan110144
    edited April 4
    Options
    Day 3

Rain, rain and more rain yesterday. Tried 3 times to walk the dog, but only made it a block or so before having to come home. So, way under step goal.

Out to dinner and theater last night. Had a really nice time and made good choices at the restaurant. Excellent sleep.

Will be a grey day here, but should be enough hours between rain drops to get walks in. Hope to see the sun again soon. Su shine is a wonderful mood elevator!

Have a great day.

• jonni82014
    Options
    Dr Kellyanne : Just for today: We need to choose our inner circle wisely. People who carry our vision.The people who understand us and our life goals and will support and believe in us. People who will not undermine or sabotage us. People who will celebrate our successes.
    All people are important; however I know just a few in my inner circle, that I can count on to put me first and likewise. My cheering section.

Today I'm off to the Recreation Centre 50minutes stretch and light weight. 45minutes walk.
    Have a wonderful day!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jonni82014 ... Thanks for that quote from Dr. Kellyanne.
  • jan110144
    Options
    Day 4 ... good food choices, loooong walk with Abby, fair sleep. No real reason for poorer sleep that I can figure out.

One of my motivations for changing my eating habits has been to address inflammation. I have been focusing on an anti-inflammatory diet. While it is way to early to really know the effects, I think this is helping to reduce arthritis pain. Hope this not all in my head!

Have a good day!
  • jonni82014
    Options
    @jan110144 I hope the anti-inflammatory diet works for you. It worked for me. I was on the diet prior to my hip replacement. My hip got replaced (2019) and no osteoarthritis evident now.

Snowing here - no comment :/ I want spring

Today is my rest day.

• jan110144
    Options
    Day 5 - slightly better weather let me split my steps into 2 walks instead of one, which was nice. We are even supposed to have SUN today!! (It has really been grey here for the past couple of weeks.)

Food choices good, sleep ok but mot great.

Hope everyone has a great weekend
  • jonni82014
    Options
    Just for today. Are the words I have being using quite frequently over the last few days. They keep me on track.
    So "Just for today" I am going to the Rec. Centre 50-60 stretch, light weights. 45minutes walk on track.

Have a great day everyone. B)
  • jan110144
    Options
    Day 6 - was a BEAUTIFUL day here yesterday. Amazing how sunshine energizes. Got a lot done in the house, logged 15 000 steps, made good food choices, had a good time with friends watching Purdue win, and slept like a log. Pretty close to a perfect day!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jan110144 ... Very good! It's beautiful today too in Central Florida. I injured my knee so am using a cane and walker for a while. I want to do so much more than Ican right now. I hope and prsy it heals soon.

Sounds like Day 6 was as near perfect as it gets. Keep up the good work!
  • jan110144
    edited April 8
    Options
    End of first week. Results...
    SW 172.5. EW 168.2

Food - Good choices every day

Steps - over 10,000 6 of 7 days. 7 day average - 11835/day

Sleep - Using Fitbit scoring) in the mid 80s 5 of 7 days. 78 other two days

Pleased with the progress.

One of the problems I encounter when I make an effort to make me good food choices is boredom. Seems like I always doing a piece of baked/broiled protein and steamed veggies. New goal ... make at least one new healthy recipe a week. Last night ... spicy shrimp tacos. Definitely a winner🙂

On to week 2. For those in the eclipse path, wishing you good weather. We are about 45 min from totality, so taking a little drive. Weather is a bit iffy in terms of cloud cover.

Have a great day everyone.