Gain Muscle Mass

Options
Hi, I recently came across my fitness pal, which has been immensely helpful in tracking calories. I have been working out for the last 1.5 years.

I have been in a strict 2000-calorie diet for the last 6 weeks and have shed 3kg weight. I weigh 74.5 kg with 13% body fat and 37.5 kg of muscle mass.

Now I want to gain muscle mass, so I am considering eating 200 calories more than my maintenance.

This is where I need help, a lot of online calculators give a varied value for maintenance calories so I am not able to get to an exact value.

Some help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    10% of your maintenance weight is recommended for bulking, yes.

If you've been in a strict 2000 calorie diet and losing weight then adding 200 may not be enough.

1kg of fat is 7,700 calories, you've lost 3 in 6 weeks. That works out a deficit of 550 a day. I'd start at 2500 for a few weeks and see how your weight goes. If you're still losing or maintaining weight then add more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently came across my fitness pal, which has been immensely helpful in tracking calories. I have been working out for the last 1.5 years.

I have been in a strict 2000-calorie diet for the last 6 weeks and have shed 3kg weight. I weigh 74.5 kg with 13% body fat and 37.5 kg of muscle mass.

Now I want to gain muscle mass, so I am considering eating 200 calories more than my maintenance.

This is where I need help, a lot of online calculators give a varied value for maintenance calories so I am not able to get to an exact value.

Some help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    A 500 calorie surplus along with a PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD and high volume program will lead to muscle gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Based on the numbers you've given us (a half kilo loss per week and your strict adherence to 2000 cal per day), your maintenance calorie intake is approximately 2550 per day.

Of course, that doesn't account for water weight loss.

If your loss was significantly more at the beginning of the six week period, your maintenance level is likely lower than 2550, but you could always start with thar (plus whatever surplus you want to add to fuel your muscle building).

Personally, I think 200 to 300 calories surplus is good if you want to minimize the amount of fat you add with the muscle, especially if you're not a young man.

Best of luck.
  • AnkitKumarMishra
    AnkitKumarMishra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, I have started having 2500 calories, will see how it goes.