WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2024

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    My son has replied to say that he and Edie can come over on Wednesday for roast lamb. It's the shoulder I bought for John's daughter, and too big for just the two of us, even with leftovers. I will do a Greek salad to go with it for Edie, which she loves, but haven't quite decided on other veg accompaniments. I like a tahini and yoghurt sauce with it. I might do the root vegetables again. The rest of the family are off to the other grandparents, but Edie has two days of football.

I've had a bit of a painful day today, but the last meds I took have helped. The worst thing about waiting is all these drugs. Hate it.

We love our pine floors and had them refinished a few years ago. It only takes a day, all in, for a couple of rooms. No dust. Easy to look after. I inherited carpet in my upstairs bathroom, and would love to replace it, but no cash. At least it's only me up there. Our whole house needs loads doing, but it's not a priority for John, so I just close my eyes and live with it. Yes, it's frustrating, but unless I win the lottery.......

Beautiful, warm, day here. I would have loved to go out for a walk, but no.

Salmon for dinner. Fresh spinach in crΓͺme fraiche, and a few home fries. I always put the fries (chunky chips in uk) in a separate bowl. Chilled white wine.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: Β»
    Yesterday, I dug up bulbs ... some of the bulbs. We have quite a large bulb bed so I only got about 1/3 of it dug. I haven't done a lot of digging in the garden just recently and my glutes are feeling it!

I also pulled weeds at the new place. It's been empty since January, so there are a few weeds around.

Question about flooring:

What is your preferred flooring?
    - carpet (thick, thin?)
    - vinyl
    - laminate
    - engineered hardwood
    - hardwood
    - tiles
    - stone
    - bamboo
    - cork
    - concrete

And why?

I'm thinking I would like to get rid of all carpet for allergy reasons and because I see carpet as dirty in the sense that it collects and hides all sorts of things.

Concrete wouldn't work where we are, but I also see it as cold and industrial.

Tiles have grout which (in my experience) ends up looking grubby over time.

Machka in Oz

I like bamboo or laminate. We put laminate in our first house and I loved it then and I still do. I have a friend with bamboo and it looks gorgeous and I suspect the care is similar to laminate.

I'd avoid hardwood because it scratches. I like the look of tile, but unless the grout is dark, it'll look grungy soon.

Tina in CA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    On flooring -
    This house has a mixture of hardwood (living room and formal dining, main guest bedroom and my office), bamboo (the master bedroom and master closet), tile (the kitchen, den, breakfast room, guest bathrooms, half bath, our master bath and the laundry room) and carpet in the other two guest bedrooms. I would love to replace ALL of it with one uniform flooring, but I don't want to spend the money to do it. We also don't agree on what to replace it with. Hub wants wood look tile planks, I prefer engineered wood (real wood but prefinished and you can sand/refinish 1 or 2X depending on the thickness of the product).

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies.

Terri, beautiful painting! You have a talent for sure.

Heather, so happy that you have your two surgeries set. I'm sure you will be glad to get rid of your pain.

Machka, on the subject of flooring I'm sure there are many different opinions and I'm sure you will select what is best for you. We have hardwood flooring in our living room and I had posted some pics of it after we sanded and refinished it. It has been down for a long time and is still beautiful. We have pets and I have allergies so we stay away from carpeting. The rest of our flooring is parquet in the 3 bedrooms and the hallway. We installed porcelain tiles in the kitchen, entryway and bathroom. We got the tiles and grout from Home Depot and it was very easy to install. I did it myself as hubby has a hip issue and finds it difficult to be on his hands/knees. It's been down for about 25 years and still looks very good. It was a fairly new product when we got it and was advertised as a floating floor....no nailing....no gluing. The tiles snapped together and then the grout was applied. When it first came out some "experts" said it would not stay down and would lift in time but it certainly hasn't. I'm sure there are lots of newer options out there.

We are going to have to replace our parquet flooring sometime in the future and I think we may go with cork flooring (plank or tile).

Joy
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Lisa - so are you able to get the extra mortar off? or is it just that style? I have never done anything with bricks except setting them in sand to make a walk way.

Kim in N. California
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Love the brick planter. I quite like the aged look that the mortar gives it.

Time for bed. I’m working on improving my sleep schedule, so shutting down tech.

πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€— and πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ» for those who need them.

πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri