Is it OK to have negative net calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks, McKayMachina! :smile:

Looks like you've been doing really well too! Keep up the good work!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised that no one has asked how you are calculating your additional calorie burn. If your target is 1400 and you are eating 1300, that's not so bad. But according to your journal, you are adding exercise and activity on top of that to give you an even bigger gap. Are you using an HRM? I know that I have found MFP calorie burns to be a bit higher than everything else out there, so I always go with a lower number.

For some perspective, for me to burn an additional 1400 calories, I would have to run a half marathon, do a triathlon, or ride a bike for a couple of hours or so. It takes lot of work and effort to consistently get that type of calorie burn and you need good nutrition to sustain it. Not to mention you said you have triplets...which I'm sure is a full time job in itself.

Which leads me to my next point, I would also encourage you to brush up on some basic nutrition: your diet should be based on whole grains, fresh/fruit veggies, healthy carbs, lean protein and low fat diary. And do yourself a favor and lay off the McDonalds.
  • crittytn
    Options
    Yeah, I would wonder how you were getting your calorie burn totals too. I know you burn more calories if you're carrying some extra weight, but that still seems pretty high for the activities you post.

And I would ask if you're consulting with a doctor too.

Good luck, dear. Do extra research and make sure you're doing things the proper, healthy way.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised that no one has asked how you are calculating your additional calorie burn. If your target is 1400 and you are eating 1300, that's not so bad. But according to your journal, you are adding exercise and activity on top of that to give you an even bigger gap. Are you using an HRM? I know that I have found MFP calorie burns to be a bit higher than everything else out there, so I always go with a lower number.

For some perspective, for me to burn an additional 1400 calories, I would have to run a half marathon, do a triathlon, or ride a bike for a coupe of hours or so. It takes lot of work and effort to consistently get that type of calorie burn and you need good nutrition to sustain it. Not to mention you said you have triplets...which I'm sure is a full time job in itself.

Which leads me to my next point, I would also encourage you to brush up on some basic nutrition: your diet should be based on whole grains, fresh/fruit veggies, healthy carbs, lean protein and low fat diary. And do yourself a favor and lay off the McDonalds.

I agree with some of this. But I wanted to comment real quickly on where our opinions differ.

Dietary fat is not the cause of obesity. Sugar is. So I would say skip the low-fat stuff unless you think it tastes better (like my 2% reduced fat sharp cheddar! yum!) Also, grains are unnecessary. It's an agricultural marketing myth. There is only one type of animal that does well on a grain-based diet and that's birds. Grains have evolved a defense mechanism to make mammals sick. I didn't believe it either til my buddy went Paleo and explained it to me. I stopped eating grains and simultaneously stopped feeling sick to my stomach 24/7. I don't totally omit them (because BREAD!) but I skip them most meals. Just wanted to put those out there for consideration.

:drinker:
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

For some perspective, for me to burn an additional 1400 calories, I would have to run a half marathon, do a triathlon, or ride a bike for a coupe of hours or so. It takes lot of work and effort to consistently get that type of calorie burn and you need good nutrition to sustain it. Not to mention you said you have triplets...which I'm sure is a full time job in itself.

I agree with some of this. But I wanted to comment real quickly on where our opinions differ.

Dietary fat is not the cause of obesity. Sugar is. So I would say skip the low-fat stuff unless you think it tastes better (like my 2% reduced fat sharp cheddar! yum!) Also, grains are unnecessary. It's an agricultural marketing myth. There is only one type of animal that does well on a grain-based diet and that's birds. Grains have evolved a defense mechanism to make mammals sick. I didn't believe it either til my buddy went Paleo and explained it to me. I stopped eating grains and simultaneously stopped feeling sick to my stomach 24/7. I don't totally omit them (because BREAD!) but I skip them most meals. Just wanted to put those out there for consideration.

That's really interesting, I never thought of it that way. I think I might try cutting them out as well. I don't eat a lot already, but less would be better!

Thanks for sharing that!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I was simply trying to make the point for eating a nutritionally dense diet. The food groups were not in any particular order. I don't eat a lot of grains either, but some people do fine with them. I did say low fat, not "no" fat, so I completely understand that it has a place in our diets. I have no problem using full fat versions of some things and I will add that coconut oil rocks!!
  • ashleymashley02
    Options
    I get my calorie burn mostly from the website of les mills because that is mostly the classes I take and the walking I get from my phone app called cardio trainer...I just bought a fitbit yesterday and hope that helps me be more accurate and I started today to try to make sure my net calories say 1200 min. Hope this helps and I don't eat a lot of carbs right now..just a few things. Mcdonalds is what I have to work with sometimes and I just get side salads and grilled chicken ontop that's it so its not bad. Thanks for all your advice!
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That is not good. I am on a 1500 calories diet. Sometimes with my work outs, I dip under 1200 calories. If I am hungry, I will eat or if I want a snack. Generally, I try to bring it to at least1200, but one day, I ended under 1200 calories, not in the negative. I dont think your body has enough nutrients from burning so much to be able to be healthy.

But as someone said, check with a doctor and make a regular visit if you are going to do so much. Because once you come off that diet, you will be hungry.