Protein consumption

Options
Jaytrot
Jaytrot Posts: 3 Member
I've been dialed in on calorie deficit for months, but I'm having trouble getting protein up to my goal. I've consistently been at about 70-75g. I should be closer to 140, but I'd be happy if I could reach 100 more than 2 days in a row.

As a midwesterner, fish isn't typically a 'go to' (yes I could prob do better there). There's only so much you can do with chicken (it's wearing me out), Beef is always good but gotta moderate a bit. Pork, Ham, and all of the fresh deli meats are so high in sodium - all good but gotta moderate a bit there too.

So my question to ya'all is... 1) if there's little to no benefit to consuming >25g, how do you even get to 100++ on 3 meals (my best stats days had protein smoothies)? 2) Seems like if I do get close to the protein goal, then cal goal is all but busted. 3) is consuming protein powder concauctions basically the only way to get there consistently without killing fats/carbs? Thoughts/ideas? Many thanks.

Also, I find more misinformation/disinformation than factual-meaningful-consistent informaiton out there about health/nutrition... where do you turn for the best (factual) advice?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    You might find some ideas in this thread, in case you haven't already seen it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Find foods you like on the linked spreadsheet, get more of those in your routine eating habits.

As context, I'm able to get a 100g minimum daily as a vegetarian, without using protein supplements (powders, bars, shakes), and usually hit more like 120g. I'm pretty sure there are options other than chicken breast! ;)

One question: How fast are you trying to lose weight, and at what current body size? Ultra-low calories, aiming for fast weight loss, make it tough to get adequate nutrition . . . and both too-low calories and under-nutrition will increase health risks. 140g of protein is 560 calories.

Another strategy we veg-centric people use, that can be helpful for omnivores adjusting to reduced calories, is to think about getting not just that one big protein per meal (your chicken, fish, or other main), but also choose sides and snacks and such that bring a little protein. Those extra amounts, though individually small, add up through the day. There are veggies, breads, grains, etc., with more protein than others; even some fruits have protein. That thread linked above can help you identify some.

Also, if you do the grocery shopping for your household, read labels at the store to chose products with relatively more protein for the calories.

A general strategy for improving nutrition is to review one's diary every day or few when starting out. Notice foods that have a relatively high "cost" in calories, but that aren't commensurately important to you for tastiness, other nutrition, or other reasons, and that in particular don't contribute to the nutrition goal you're working on (in this case, protein). Those foods are candidates to reduce (frequency or portion size) or even eliminate, and replace with other foods you enjoy eating that make a better nutritional contribution.

Do that review/revise process for a while, working on changing your routine daily eating patterns (so you don't have to consciously micro-manage forever). Once things are in decent shape with that nutrient, you can turn your attention to other things.

Best wishes!

• Jaytrot
    Options
    The spreadsheet takes a little time to digest (pun intended), but what a nice resource! Thank you for that. I'm at 315 currently, down from as high as 385 18mos ago. Goal is 250, with stretch goal to stabilize near 225. As far as timeframe goes... It seems like 12-18 months is a reasonable timeframe but time won't unravel what I've accomplished. As long as I'm headed in the right direction from here I'm good.... I already feel like I've alread won the biggest battles. Daily caloric intake goal is (i think fairly moderate) 1900 which may have to give a bit, based on next stages of exercise (we'll see). I've come close numerous occasions, but only really busted it once in the last 90 days - not too shabby. As I increase weights in my routine, I'm turning nutritional focus toward increasing protein to help support nutrition and build muscle. Your comment "140g of protein is 560 calories" seems so simple but adds perspective. Thx for your time and thoughts - sooo appreciated!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited April 12
    Options
    Obviously your consuming protein from sources that are not protein rich like most plant material except soy for the most part. Also we need a minimum of 90g's but generally more of protein a day with about 3g's of leucine in each meal spread as evenly as possible throughout our feeding time just to maintain and engage muscle protein synthesis so we don't use muscle up and for other bodily protein needs, which are many and this isn't even addressing the quality issue of plant compared to animal protein or the DIAAS score where if most protein is coming from plants then that person better up there overall protein consumption just to compensate for the difference and most authorities on that issue seem to think at least 30% is a good starting point. Jmo. :)
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    OP, yeah whey protein powder is an easy and cheap way to get the daily total up.

Or if you're doing more chicken, try different spices for variety.

You have got to get that 75g higher. You're in a fairly large deficit and lifting. The easiest thing you can do to help preserve muscle (and possibly build some) is have a protein shake. I mean you're doing all the hard work with the dieting and lifting, then slacking on the easy part of the equation.
  • meenaklaassen
    meenaklaassen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Oikos high protein yogurt. Usually 18g protein in a single serving. This is my snack with some fruit and it helps me reach my protein goal of 100. I can share your frustration - I’m having the same issue.
  • Sabastianni
    Sabastianni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you like tuna? 2 tuna patties for lunch can really bump your protein. Mix 3 Tbsp bread crumbs, 1 Tbsp parm cheese, 1 egg, 1 tsp lemon juice, chopped onion, pepper, and a can of tuna. Pan fry two patties.
  • Jaytrot
    edited April 14
    Options
    All good responses - thank you all! This was kinda burried in my original question, so I want to ask again. How do you'all resolve for this.... If a rough amount of 25g of quality protein per meal is ideal (beyond that, the more you consume, the less efficient protein synthisis is, until it starts to become unhealthy at a much higher amount), how do you justify and how do you get much above 75-90g/day? - Have I received bad info, do you disregard that 'rule of thumb', protein snacks, something else? Thanks again for your kind consideration! -JT
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have Premier Protein shakes for snacks. 30 grams of protein and few vitamins for 130 calories. That usually boosts me up close to where I need to be.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited April 14
    Options
    Jaytrot wrote: »
    All good responses - thank you all! This was kinda burried in my original question, so I want to ask again. How do you'all resolve for this.... If a rough amount of 25g of quality protein per meal is ideal (beyond that, the more you consume, the less efficient protein synthisis is, until it starts to become unhealthy at a much higher amount), how do you justify and how do you get much above 75-90g/day? - Have I received bad info, do you disregard that 'rule of thumb', protein snacks, something else? Thanks again for your kind consideration! -JT

I basically addressed these questions in my above post. Also the more protein a person consumes doesn't translate into less efficient protein synthesis it just the fact that there is a limit to how much protein can be used for maximum protein sythesis in one feeding and those levels for an average male is in the 30-50 g's per meal 3 times a day spread out over the day and each feeding also needs to have at least 3g's of leucine for any muscle protein sythesis to take place, basically 90-150 g's and the quality of the protein matters as well, as I stated above. Also there is no rule of thumb when it applies to the individual, everyone is different and have different needs but basically what I've posted here are minimums. A whey protein isolate or casein protein powder are decent and effective supplements which also have decent levels of leucine. imo :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I eat more than 25g at some meals (25g is perhaps more the "ideal minimum" vs. "ideal quantity"). I eat protein snacks (maybe only a little protein, 5-10g, but some and it adds up). Sometimes I even eat more than 3 meals (calorically smaller ones than when I eat 2-3, of course). Like I said, I'm usually at 120ish grams as a vegetarian, without protein power, bars or other supplements. Chip away at improvements in your habits, and you'll reach your goal. It needn't be instant success, and/or you can certainly use something like a protein shake as a transition aid, or long term.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I eat more than 25g at some meals (25g is perhaps more the "ideal minimum" vs. "ideal quantity"). I eat protein snacks (maybe only a little protein, 5-10g, but some and it adds up). Sometimes I even eat more than 3 meals (calorically smaller ones than when I eat 2-3, of course). Like I said, I'm usually at 120ish grams as a vegetarian, without protein power, bars or other supplements. Chip away at improvements in your habits, and you'll reach your goal. It needn't be instant success, and/or you can certainly use something like a protein shake as a transition aid, or long term.

Ann how do you do this (achieve 120 grams) as a vegetarian without powders or bars? Do you eat a lot of legumes and soy?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited April 14
    Options
    People sometimes over-complicate protein intake. The most important thing is get your daily total in (limited benefit above 0.7g/pound), and if it's from poorer quality sources then get a bit more. The amount per meal, the number of meals, the spacing of meals, yeah maybe that all has a tiny effect but it's small potatoes next to the big things like a) progressive overload and sufficient training volume + b) sufficient total protein + c) good recovery, good sleep, low stress.

https://examine.com/articles/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-one-sitting/
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 14
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ann how do you do this (achieve 120 grams) as a vegetarian without powders or bars? Do you eat a lot of legumes and soy?

I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I do eat dairy foods, including a fair amount of skim milk (hot, in my coffee), cottage cheese, and nonfat Greek yogurt (that latter both as a regular food with berries/oatmeal and such, but also as a sour cream or mayo substitute in some cases). I use certain other calorie-efficient cheeses I enjoy as ingredients in meals, though most of my "treat cheese" is higher fat and higher calories, just kept in reasonable portions. I don't eat all that many eggs, probably less than a dozen in an average month - not philosophical, just taste preference.

I do eat beans, including some legume snacks I enjoy (crispy broad beans are a favorite). I probably eat one serious serving of soy most days, in various forms: Tofu, tempeh, dry-roasted soybeans, tofu noodles, etc.

When I eat pasta, I sub red lentil pasta for wheat pasta (same calories, similar taste/texture, about twice the protein). I use chickpea "rice" for similar reasons. In Asian-style preparations, I enjoy the chewier but even higher protein soy or black bean pastas in skinny/thin shapes. There are some other types of higher-protein pastas these days, too.

Before any of the meat-centric folks drop in to say that those pastas often are not complete protein sources (in terms of essential amino acids, EAAs), I know that, and vary protein sources to somewhat compensate, and I do consider bioavailability. (I'm not going to try to give a tutorial about all of that, but while it requires modest attention, it's not difficult or complicated. I don't seem to have difficulty gaining strength/muscle, for my age/sex, when I put in the work on the exercise front.)

When I buy food products (bread, for example), I look for relatively higher protein types, but only continue eating them after a trial if I like them. Life is too short to eat yucky stuff, when there are plenty of IMO tasty foods that are reasonably nutritious. I did a lot of this kind of experimenting when I was starting out, trying to get adequate protein on lowered calories.

There are also flavoring ingredients that add a few grams of protein here and there, too. (Examples: Peanut butter powder, nutritional yeast, miso. There would be more such things for an omnivore.)

For things like salads at home, I usually use easy home-made vinegar-based or plain nonfat Greek yogurt based dressings (no oil), and no croutons, but add something like toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or nuts (in reasonable portions) to add a bit of protein as well as some nice crunch and healthy fats.

I do choose veggies, fruits and grains with a little more protein, too. The protein thread I linked above was helpful for that, for me. I don't count on veg/fruit for the core of my protein intake: I focus on the more EAA complete and bioavailable sources for that.

Like I said in my first post, in my mind this is more about a process than a prescription of "protein foods". We all have different eating preferences. Reviewing my diary thoughtfully early on, and changing my routine eating habits, gradually got my protein intake where I wanted it to be. Since I was focusing on routine habits/patterns, and on foods I enjoy, once I practiced those changes for a while, the habits now operate mostly on autopilot, not daily conscious micro-management of what I eat.

It does help that I have a higher calorie need than some other midsized li'l ol' ladies (I'm 5'5", 133 pounds, age 68), but my maintenance calories (1850+exercise) aren't far off from OP's current goal, and you/OP have the advantage of being omnivores. If you looked at that protein thread's linked spreadsheet, I'm sure you noticed that the top of the calorie-efficient proteins list is meaty/fishy. :)