Replies

• BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @MaryBethB54 ... Welcome to our group
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I joined the NO Late Night Snacking Forum on MFP in March/22 so to date 31Mar/24
    I had 718days of NO Late Night Snacking after 6:00pm and 9 Days that I did.
    The community keeps me accountable.
    Catch up on house cleaning and laundry.
    DH is doing the yard work.
    Back to the Rec. Centre tomorrow
    Just for today: Be Present.
  • DianeSpenny
    DianeSpenny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm over 70 and glad I found you. I feel a little humiliated to say that because I should have lost this weight sooner
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @DianeSpenny ... Welcome and please don't feel embarrassed. We're all in the same boat. I've spent my life dieting and now have finally come across an eating plan/lifestyle that I can live with. Lost 68 pounds gradually over 3 years. Some came back on, but I'm getting it back off now. I feel so much better. I know my body is healthier and that I've extended my life. Best of all is the quality of life I have. Don't have diabetes or chronic kidney disease anymore.

I wish I'd lost the weight sooner too but better late than never.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    April 13

Finally a beautiful day here! AND we are supposed to have another one today🙂

On target for food, sleep and steps. Tried my third new recipe for the week ...Maple garlic salmon. YUMMY!! So, 2 out of 3 successes this week. I am finding adding variety to my menus is really helpful. Instead of feeling deprived because "I am on a diet" I am am really enjoying eating. I am sure there is an important lesson in this discovery.

Busy day today ending with dinner at a friend's house (who is a very good coo. Will focus on enjoying the evening and not on calories. Just make good choices!

@BarbMessimer congrats on your progress over the last few years."Best of all is the quality of life that I have" ... THAT. Not the number on the scale, is what counts!!

@DianeSpenny Welcome!! No guilt here!🙂 we are ready when we are ready.
  • jonni82014
    edited April 14
    Options
    I thought I would head out to the Rec. Centre; however I really outdid myself around the house yesterday. My last rest day was 05Apr. So Just for Today I will have rest day. A walk in the River Valley to connect with nature. Temperature high today of 15C/59F.

Rest days are so important.

Welcome to all! B)
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    I sprained my knee. There's swelling below the knee and towards the inside. Pretty sure it's the MCL ligament. It's very painful to walk on so I'm resting it a lot and using a cane and a walker to get around... even that is terribly painful. I hope this doesn't last long as I need to be active.
  • jan110144
    Options
    End of week 2!

Starting weight - 168.2, Ending Weight 165.1
    Sleep - 5/7 days at sleep score of 80+
    Steps - 7/7 days at or above 10,000, averaged 13,750

Observations ... I am DEFINITELY feeling better after two weeks of healthy food and activity. Am also finding that adding more variety to my weekly menus is very helpful.

Next two weeks ... As I mentioned when I joined, this is a very serious effort at focusing on changing how I eat into a healthy lifestyle. Eventually, I want to get to the point where I am eating "intuitive" way instead of being so focused on dieting to maintain a healthy weight. I am going to experiment with this over the next two weeks. So, for the next two weeks I am going to

1. Continue to log food and exercise, but I will do this at the end of the day to check on how I have done, instead of preplanning to make sure I stay at a specific number. This makes me a little nervous, but seems to be a good step toward my goal.
    2. The other thing I am going to do is focus on 'hunger monitoring' this week ... making a point to check in with my body periodically during the day, and particularly before and after meals, on how I am feeling (re hunger). I think I often confuse tired, bored, thirsty with hunger ... with food being my first go to.

So, I am a bit anxious going into this week, but also interested to see if I can intentionally move in the direction of intuitive eating (actually, hate this term because it has also been grabbed by the diet industry. Just don't have a better word to use.)

@BarbMessimer Oh my, I hope you knee improves quickly. I know that movement is so important to me that the thought of being immobile is really depressing. Any possibility you could explore something like chair yoga in the interim since it is non weight-bearing?
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jan110144 ... I like how you're progressing into "intuitive" eating. That's a far cry from being on a diet. You know what to eat.... Don't need to obsess over it and make healthy eating a chore. Good for you!

I found any movement hurts the knee so I need to completely rest it for a few more days. It's driving me crazy as I want to get outside and work with my plants... Knee seems a little better but don't need a setback.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    Just for today: Off to the Senior Centre 50 minutes stretch and weights. 45minutes treadmill.

@jan110144 Congrats on your two weeks success.
    @BarbMessimer Frustrating when we have a setback. However, one has to ride it out to recovery. Wishing you a healthy recovery.

Have a great day everyone ! B)
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted for a couple of weeks; but I have come to MFP daily to record my food, weight, and read the posts. Everyone seems to be progressing according to their plan, give or take 'Life Happens' type stuff along the way. For me also. I just finished a furious round of all sorts of medical specialities and an looking forward to the next month of medical free days.
    As for my April goal of getting outdoors every day, that hasn't happened so far as often as I'd planned. It's been miserable cold, rainy, and very windy. I did venture out even in the cloudy cold to witness the Total Solar Eclipse Event. We had deep cloud cover so couldn't actually see the eclipse itself, but did have a break in the clouds just thin enough that I was able to see the moon eating into the sun about 1/3 of the way in. And, the coming on of darkness and then light again was an event in itself. I was so happy to have experienced it.
    @BarbMessimer ... sorry you hurt your knee. I can relate to that awful pain you are going through. I hope you get relief and healing quickly.
    @jan110144 ... welcome to the thread group. Like you, I was interested in becoming accustomed intuitively to eat a healthy meal plan without having to count every item. I found, over time, that I tend to underestimate how many calories I consumed but didn't eat over the governments recommended daily amount except on rare occasions. However, that is not compatible with weight loss, were I need to be in a deficit. Good luck, I know we can both do this.
  • jan110144
    Options
    Tuesday ... yesterday went well. Sleep, walk and good all good. As planne, did not log food until end of the day. Was on target food wise. Fortunately (or sadly) I have spent so much of my life focusing on calories that I am a walking calorie counter.

@BarbMessimer I hope your knee is improving.

@jonni18204. Love your consistency going to the rec center. I am hoping to start integrating some weight workouts next month.

@Nsk1951 "I found, over time, that I tend to underestimate how many calories I consumed but didn't eat over the governments recommended daily amount except on rare occasions. However, that is not compatible with weight loss, were I need to be in a deficit." ... this is absolutely a concern! I may end up in the same place. I had a similar problem when I tried this once before. But that time I jumped into it with little to no preparation. This time I am trying to learn more about me and the processes and go step by step toward that goal. We'll see ...

• BarbMessimer
    Options
    I'm happy to say my knee is getting better. Much less inflammation and pain and only needing to use the cane. Once it completely heals, I'm going to be more careful with it and work on building up my lower body strength, Thanks for your concern.

I've been losing on the average of 1 pound @ week for the past couple of months, and I'm happy with that. My goal is to improve my health by eating nutritious whole foods on a regular basis with weight loss as a side effect. Diet mentality is out the window.

Basically, I follow these 5 rules: EAT WHOLE FOODS, EAT LESS OFTEN, EAT LESS THAN USUAL, KEEP ACTIVE and GET 7-8 HOURS OF SLEEP EACH NIGHT. It's working for me.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    @jan110144 I find that is so stressful for me as well to continuously focus on my body. Whether it be calories input or how I feel . I am continuously "checking in"
    Sometimes it leaves little room to focus on other important things. At the Rec. Centre I walked right past the Body Composition Scale today and experienced no guilt. :D

Just for today: Went to the Rec. Centre today: Yay! I increased the Low Row from 40# to 50# and
    the Vertical Traction from 30# to 40# My 3 Sets of 10per remain the same.

Celebrating good news: I also had a <.8 Scale Reading/13 Ounce Equivalent this morning.

Made a Tomato Olive Frittata: 2 servings for Wednesday and Thursday breakfasts.

All around a very healthy productive day. Though we are going to get some snow and colder weather for the next few days.

Enjoy!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Enjoying reading and catching up on this thread. It’s encouraging to hear why women our age feel it’s important to still try to lose weight when overweight.
  • jan110144
    edited April 17
    Options
    6:51AM
    April 16. Food, steps and sleep all good. Yesterday, i cut theccord on tracking. Decided I could do it Still doing a bit in my head, but it is a step in the right direction. I have to say it makes me a bit nervous! Will continue to weigh weekly and will go back to tracking if this turns out to be a problem.

I am definitely getting better at being able to monitor my hunger. Differentiating between tired, bored, stressed and hungry has always been a challenge for me. One step at a time!

@BarbMessimer sovglad your knee is feeling better! One pound a week is good, steady progress. I expect to level off to something like that soon ... that initial big loss for the first week or so is great, but levels off pretty quickly. Your three "rules" are pretty close to what I am trying to do.

@jonni82014 the frittata sounds great. I love egg dishes!

@melwillbehealthy Agree! Focusing on living a more healthy lifestyle is important ... and is a good indicator that you haven't given up on on life. I find the " I can't" attitude of many of my contemporaries very sad. It's amazing what you can do if you start with "I can" instead of "I can't"
  • jonni82014
    Options
    @jan110144 @mellwillbehealthy Agree that living a more healthy lifestyle is important - for me first. Then my fit body, mind + spirit radiates to my DH, family + friends; who do not have to worry or be concerned about my wellbeing. They can be confident that I am committed to my health and wellness.
    We can have other discussions of life instead of "How are you feeling ?" (with concern in their voices). Checking in to ask about health and wellness is good.

Just for today: Opted out of going to the Senior Centre.
    Making a cannellini bean & vegetable salad for 2 lunches Wednesday & Thursday
    Tonight Sweet Chili chicken stir fry.

We had some rain and snow. Good moisture, however looking forward to warmer weather.
    Have great day! B)
  • jan110144
    edited April 17
    Options
    lbfhyf1brwbs.jpg
    After reading @Melwillbehealthy comment this morning, this popped up on my FB feed

• BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jan110144 ... Loved your post!
  • jan110144
    Options
    April 17 ... all good. Was just thinking how nice it is to breed able to walk comfortably outside. While we have had quite a bit of rain. It is so pretty out. All the yards are a gorgeous green with trees and flowers I'm bloom everywhere. Also, it iscgreat to have a walking partner who is ALWAYS up for a walk.

@jonni82014 stir fry sounds yummy. Variety continues to be a game changer for me.

My walking partner

1z1ai2krmk0n.jpg