Struggling to lose weight

Options
Hi my name is Raven and I'm on day three of logging. I notice at night time is when I'm fantasizing about carbs and sugar and then I proceed to get angry that I can't eat whatever I want without consequences.

I just wanted to say hi and that if anyone else is struggling I believe we can do this. Slowly but surely we will make better choices for ourselves. Right now I'm just focusing on allowing myself to feel those feelings and not judging myself.

Take care everyone. 💜

Replies

• TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason you're restricting carbs? Weight loss is all about calories; carbs don't have to be off the table.

I totally get the sugar thing. I struggle with that too. My goal is to reduce sugar, allow myself ONE sugary snack a day (as long as it fits my calories).

Fruit may help with sugar cravings. With whole fruits, you get the fiber. That is filling for me.

Whatever you choose, log both good and bad days. It may help you spot the thing that triggers this.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,934 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community, Raven!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    Maybe think about those night time carb cravings in a different light?

As we go through the day, last night's sleep gets more distant in the rear-view mirror. We start to get fatigued. When we're fatigued, our body starts to send us "need energy!" signals (via hunger and appetite hormones). Food is energy. Carbs (especially sweets) are quick energy. Voila: Carb/sweets cravings!

Don't try to lose weight super fast. The bigger the calorie restriction, the more likely that our fuel starts running out before our day is over.

If your sleep quality/quantity could be improved, work on that, to combat the fatigue.

If you could reduce stress, or manage stress better, maybe work on that: High stress causes fatigue, too.

If you've added a bunch of new and maybe intense exercise as part of your weight loss effort, consider slowing that down . . . either less intense exercise or less frequent/long exercise. Doing too much exercise or too intense exercise adds to fatigue. (You can gradually phase in more exercise later, as you get fitter, when it will be less fatiguing.)

Experiment with changing the timing of meals, or when you eat your biggest meals, or when you have snacks; and experiment with the nutrition or food choices in the meals/snacks. If you plan and spread your fuel (food) intake in ways that better support your daily energy needs, that can also potentially help reduce evening cravings. (Exactly how to accomplish this differs from one person to the next, that's why I say "experiment".) Figure out which foods, eaten at which times in which quantities, will keep you feeling more full more of the time.

Anything that can happen to minimize the need to white-knuckle our way through cravings is going to make weight loss more achievable. I don't know about you, but I want to not only achieve a healthy weight (which happened for me in 2016), but also stay at a healthy weight long term, ideally permanently. That's the big prize, and it depends on finding new, practical pretty-easy habits. I don't know about you, but there's no way I'm going to sustain motivation, willpower, or discipline for the whole rest of my life. I need easy, practical, enjoyable habits, or I'll fail for sure. (I'm roughly in year 8 at a healthy weight, after about a year of loss that was preceded by about 30 previous years of overweight/obesity. So far, so good.)

Best wishes - the improved quality of life is worth the effort!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    Ooo those cravings!

You’re not alone.

Are you getting enough protein? That can stave off some cravings. I like a little bit of cheese some days around 9:00 pm.

Also I have added fruit to my diet. A lot of fruit. Water chunks. Oranges. A rocket apple, or a Fuji. Really helps with sugar cravings.

The longer you stick with the process, the more these cravings will fade.
  • chefdonnaann
    chefdonnaann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I SO hear you. Every night my husband eats a bowl of ice cream in front of me. Sometimes I can ignore it, but then other times, like when I am plateaued or gain a pound back I am so pissed off that he can eat whatever. It's very frustrating.

I just tell myself I will be okay, the bowl will only last a few minutes, and to focus on something else. I need to do what is best for me and my health.

Best wishes in your journey!