Hello

Options
I’m new and would love to hear how this app has helped people trying to loose weight.

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,941 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited April 17
    Options
    Hi, @vargasyessika Welcome to MFP

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. But when I started, I read as much as I could on the boards, and as silly as it sounds, I just followed the instructions.

MFP is set up to be as simple as possible, but you do have to invest some time into learning the basics.

I ultimately lost 40% of my body weight, so it definitely worked for me, and still does. I’ve used it religiously during my three and a half years of maintenance so far.

I’m very much a full in the blank and data girl. Filling in the diary every day, recording workouts to MFP with a fitness tracker , both helped me to finally make the connection between calories in and calories out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    It won't be the perfect approach for everyone (we're all different), but for me calorie counting with MFP was the perfect approach. It let me eat foods I enjoy and find practical and filling, and work on tuning up my nutrition as well as getting my calorie level where it needed to be to reach my weight goals. I'm a data geek by nature, and steeped in a career culture that said you can't manage what you don't measure.

I was fat, overweight to obese, for around 30 years. I stayed fat even in the last dozen-ish years of that when I was very athletically active, training 6 days most weeks. (I thought I had a "slow metabolism" - aging, hypothyroid (medicated), menopausal, etc. Nah. I just ate too many calories of delicious food.)

Once I committed to losing weight, and joined MFP, I was at a healthy weight in under a year, and I've been at a healthy weight for nearly 8 years since. It surprised me how straightforward it was (though not psychologically easy every single second, I admit). Given the quality of life improvement that resulted, I could kick myself for not doing it years earlier.

I recommend finding tactics (eating and activity) that are relatively easy for you, rather than trying to lose weight fast. Successful weight management isn't a quick project with an end date, after which things go back to normal. (That's a recipe for yo-yo weight loss/gain, the least healthy option.)

Instead, IMO successful weight management is a permanent change in eating and activity habits. Those habits need to be simple and congenial enough to run almost on autopilot when other parts of life get challenging, because they will.

Best wishes - the results are worth the effort.