Hi, what have people found to be the best storage bag/container to freeze meals?

Options
2»

Answers

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    @Adventurista
    If you covet several bulky gadgets, I have a girlfriend who swears by her multipurpose Ninja. It slow cooks, pressure cooks, air fries, has a temperature range low enough to use as a dehydrator, and serves as a rice cooker. It was expensive, I think. So for people with more money than counter space.

Before modern sous vide set ups became compact to store and relatively inexpensive, the Serious Eats website use to promote using a beer cooler for doing manual sous vide regulated by a thermometer and an electrical kettle for topping up the temperature. A far cry from the set it and forget it ease of a sous vide wand (which contains a thermostat).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot ~ mmmmmm!
    -- freezing beer? Doesn't explode?
    - bonus bringing frozen food, and beer.

Not if you do it right.
    • Step one: Get beer.
    • Step two: Put it in the refrigerator for several days or a week. This allows the maximum amount of CO2 to dissolve in the beer and not be in the head space. You can even take the beer out once or twice a day and shake them and put them back. Let them sit at least a day after you do all that.
    • Step three: GENTLY move the chilled cans to the freezer. Let them freeze completely. Then you can store them in the deep freeze until you're ready to pack the cooler.
    • Step four: By the fourth day of your river trip, your frozen beer will be defrosted. I did a three-day trip one October, and I had to sit cans out by the fire to thaw.....

Deal is - gas is more soluble in cold liquids. If you think about it, you can put a beer out in 100 degree heat and it won't explode. There's a lot of pressure in the head space as the CO2 comes out of solution AND the beer itself expands as it gets hot. The cans are that strong.

So when you FIRST get as much gas out of the headspace and into the beer, you can have that head space be at a lower pressure. Then when the beer expands as it approaches freezing temperature, there's some room for that gas to expand without exploding the seal. If you put warm beer directly in the freezer, it will burst the can. The pressure in the head space gets too high. That's what does it.

I have had some beer split cans. I've had some cans deform. Typically those are higher level of carbonation beers, like cheap American light lager. If I freeze Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it works fine. You have to follow the process though.

To pack the cooler: The day before, add a bunch of cubed ice and let sit overnight to pre-chill the inside of the cooler. Dump out that ice and pack. I put two one-gallon jugs of frozen water in the bottom of the cooler and l fill in space between them with frozen beer and any other food that I want to stay frozen. I cover that with a sheet of Mylar bubble wrap. Non-frozen food goes on top of that. As room allows, I can add other small frozen bottles of water. On top of it all, I put another layer of Mylar bubble wrap. That way, as we eat our way through the food, there's always an inner lid to keep things close together in one thermal mass.

My cooler is a roto-molded model. Holds cold a long time. We have had ice at the end of a 23-day Grand Canyon trip if we practice good cooler management. Don't open the cooler during the heat of the day. Know what is in each cooler; open quickly and get what you need. For frozen things that need to thaw, pull them out the night before and put in a different cooler.

If you're someone who doesn't use jugs and instead uses block or cube ice, you can drain the very cold water from your cooler when you get to camp and use that to make ice-cold beer from the beer in your dry storage. Not draining the cooler means the inside will be at a colder temperature, but it may melt the ice faster. Mostly I don't want my food swimming in water - it's a food safety issue.

Multi-day river trips are great. I have a permit for the Rogue in mid May.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    edited March 24
    Options
    I like silicone food storage bags. They travel well and can be cleaned in dishwasher!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I like silicone food storage bags. They travel well and can be cleaned in dishwasher!

That's a great idea. I bought a couple of sylicon bags to reduce reliance on ziplocks for sous vide, but depending on the brand, the seal is not dependable enough for cooking sous vide. I now mostly use them in the fridge to contain condensation when defrosting meat in ziplocks. I must start using them in the freezer.

I do re-use ziplocks that are not too dirty or greasy by turning them inside out and draping them over a tall glass in the dishwasher.
  • EllaBella312519
    EllaBella312519 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    - which ones do you use, and have they been reliable?
    acpgee wrote: »
    I do re-use ziplocks that are not too dirty or greasy by turning them inside out and draping them over a tall glass in the dishwasher.
    - I also do this - doesn't work so well when the bags have had chicken ceylon, madras etc. inside them though unfortunately.

Some really useful tips and ideas within these replies :)

• acpgee
    Options
    I'm afraid I only have negative silicon bag experiences, but here are my warnings about the two brands I have:

"Stasher" bags have reliable seals, but one of them became brittle in the freezer and tore. I don't remember if I put a hot Stasher bag from the sous vide directly into the freezer on that occasion. I don't know if tearing was due to my low freezer temperature. Most domestic freezers are set to -18C but mine is set at -23C because I freeze to kill parasites in fish that is served raw.

"Fudy" bags have a totally unreliable seal, and just pop open at random.
  • acpgee
    Options
    No one else has mentioned freezing in aluminium takeaway trays that you can buy in bulk on amazon and go straight from defrosting in the fridge to warming in the oven or air fryer. Here are some cooked potato gratins and meatloaves cooling to go into the freezer. Keep in mind that any potato dish you freeze needs to fully cooked first, as otherwise the freezer will convert potato starch into sugar.
    4rvu9y7dc9sd.jpeg
    ymmluma2eywx.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I have been experimenting freezing meat in marinade, and I can report defrosting in marinade overnight has a similar effect to marinating overnight.
    Following a tip from the Serious Eats cookbook whenever I make marinades, stir fry sauces, and salad dressings I will make a batch to keep in the fridge in squeeze bottles so I always have favourites on hand.
    6rlf0yflvdax.jpeg
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I like tempered glass bowls with snap-on plastic lids. The round bowls do take up a bit more space in the freezer, but small square/rectangular dishes like that do exist and are useful. (I have a big freezer, so use a lot of the round ones. Since I live alone, it's mostly the 2-cup and one-cup bowls, but I do use larger rectangular ones for some things.)

What I like: Reusable (no single-use plastic), go straight from the freezer to the microwave (or even oven, with care), do double duty for storing leftovers or things like half an onion, cheese, etc.). They last practically forever. (A lid will break occasionally after long use.)

Downsides: When not in use, they do stack for storage, but realistically they do take up some space. Higher initial cost. They're not technically completely air tight (as vacuum-sealed bags can be), but they're fairly tight (especially the round ones) I haven't had problems with freezer burn.

I don't like microwaving in plastic. The tempered glass bowls go in the microwave with a small plate upside down on top. Works great.

The brands common here (just for reference, not because I'm compensated to mention them!) are Pyrex and Anchor Hocking.

I would agree with this. I am constantly trying to reduce my amounts of waste, so I prefer to use Pyrex. I've had my current set for years and I love them. Plus they don't get stained by food! :)
  • ChristieLynn777
    ChristieLynn777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m a country girl at heart…lol…so I use mason jars for everything from cups I drink out of to storage containers (I also store and freeze meals in them), I even use them as measuring cups…I originally started removing plastic containers from my house after my son was diagnosed as Type 1 since plastic affect your endocrine system. I also find they stack really well if you have limited space in your freezer. I even found jar jackets (it a silicone sleeve that fits the mason jars..I added pictures) on Amazon so I’m not bumping glass on glass and there is also so many interchangeable lids you can get for them for almost anything you can think of. Plus it has a rustic country look to them. lol

Hope this helps

3osv9x1duf38.jpeg

kb092t6q1jal.jpeg

0cyhxoj3du7k.jpeg

boolbmmqfmcj.jpeg

• Mmyers924
    Mmyers924 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just starting out…. This is all so new to me….
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Vacuum sealing is the best way to freeze anything for later use.

For liquids and/or soft foods, freeze them 1st in a suitable container or wrapping and then remove the item(s) and then vacuum seal them.

You can sous vide and/or defrost & cook vacuum sealed foods in whatever way you like.
  • yvonnemfp
    yvonnemfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I freeze in silicone souper cubes and then transfer to freezer bags or wrap in freezer paper.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited April 30
    Options
    A friend got me a bunch of ziploc square and round containers a few years ago when I was postop and needed single-serving meals readily available in my (not very big) freezer. I still use them, but I did get some glass ones after reading people’s storage ideas here. I ordered online, which was probably a mistake, because the lids are almost impossible to close. Luckily I only got a few as a trial run. So I went back to ziploc and got a 6-pack of 2-cup round containers, and they’re great and sturdier than my old ones. I most only cook things that freeze well: Chili with rice, various chicken dishes (current fave is an asopayo recipe from my SO’s recipe stash), etc. I don’t have a dishwasher, but the containers and lids clean well if I soak them.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    I bet the lids will get easier to use over time as they stretch. I'd rather have them start out too tight then end up leaky.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    A friend got me a bunch of ziploc square and round containers a few years ago when I was postop and needed single-serving meals readily available in my (not very big) freezer. I still use them, but I did get some glass ones after reading people’s storage ideas here. I ordered online, which was probably a mistake, because the lids are almost impossible to close. Luckily I only got a few as a trial run. So I went back to ziploc and got a 6-pack of 2-cup round containers, and they’re great and sturdier than my old ones. I most only cook things that freeze well: Chili with rice, various chicken dishes (current fave is an asopayo recipe from my SO’s recipe stash), etc. I don’t have a dishwasher, but the containers and lids clean well if I soak them.

Well, that stinks - the lids not fitting, I mean.

Running the lids under hot water may help, until they loosen up.

I haven't had this problem with Pyrex or Anchor brands, except for some Pyrex lids on Anchor bowls or vice versa. I can believe it might be a problem with some other brands, or even those brands sold online by a smallish outfit (could be seconds). If purchased mainstream, major brand, I'd return them.

Not saying this to criticize you, but to report my experience for other readers.