Protein

Options
I keep going over my protein for the day but was told you should eat more protein

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Treat the MFP suggestion of protein as a minimum, not a maximum. Unless you have kidney issues, eating more protein is not going to hurt, and many times will help. It increases the sense of feeling full and satisfied between meals, it's used to help build or maintain muscles despite reduced calories and losing body fat.

The FDA recommendation for protein per day is considered the bare-bones level to survive somewhat healthy. Anybody who lives an active lifestyle which includes daily movement and exercise should go beyond the FDA level.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    We need a lot more info than OP provides. What is your protein per pound now? Are you lifting hard regularly?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    We need a lot more info than OP provides. What is your protein per pound now? Are you lifting hard regularly?

Why? Nossmf is right. Even if not lifting, even if getting adequate protein, it's fine to eat more than the MFP protein goal (within reason) as long as one has no kidney issues or any other health contraindication. Excess protein just becomes part of energy. ;)

By "within reason" in the paragraph above, I mean "as long as getting an adequate minimum of fats (which most people do without conscious attention) and getting a reasonable amount of fiber and micronutrients, within a reasonable calorie goal".

For a healthy person, even an inactive one, it's OK to exceed protein goal.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why?
    Because maybe they set their macros to 20% protein and they're worried they're going over, but if they are lifting regularly that probably wouldn't be enough. Or maybe they set it to 40% and they're not lifting, and they're worried they might be getting too much, and they probably are. Who knows, without more info?
  • Dar1970
    Dar1970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are calculators for how much protein to consume. Too much protein and the excess is more than likely stored as fat, though can go towards energy. Just google it. I took a class this morning with a nutritionist and there is a way to adjust your macros to work for you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I find MFPs default for protein very low and have tweaked mine. It's good to remember that MFP's settings are not the be all and end all. They're the same for everyone, and can be adjusted.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    Dar1970 wrote: »
    Too much protein and the excess is more than likely stored as fat, though can go towards energy.
    Maybe if you're in a large calorie surplus.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Dar1970 wrote: »
    There are calculators for how much protein to consume. Too much protein and the excess is more than likely stored as fat, though can go towards energy. Just google it. I took a class this morning with a nutritionist and there is a way to adjust your macros to work for you.

Excess calories from any of the macros will be stored as fat.