Would like some friends who are unable to exercise! Success stories please !

Options
Zebra_Aitch
Zebra_Aitch Posts: 25 Member
edited April 14 in Motivation and Support
Hi I’m not able to be very physically active due to a number of health conditions ( mainly ehlers danlos if anyone has knowledge of this ) my joints dislocate ! Yep Ouch ,

I would love some friends who can understand how difficult this is for weight loss and moral ( yes I know it’s possible! But I’m finding it mighty tough! ) throw in menopause, back surgery and under active thyroid and it’s starting to look pretty impossible to me right now ! I’m often totally immobile

Has anyone got any success stories under difficult physical limitations?
Please send a friend request to me as I’m unable to do it from my side for some reason ( there is no option when I click on your profiles ? )
Thanks for reading 😍

Replies

• Hangrycatapilar
    Hangrycatapilar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi 👋 I tick all those boxes too (except problems with menopause)and I can tell you beginners Pilates is really good for eds and a fragile back . Always check with you doc or physio first before you do try any exercises 👍

Pilates.. It gently strengthens the muscles surrounding your joints to support them better rather than over extending them and making them more supple like yoga does. Do what you can comfortably do , don’t push it. Then after that seems easy after a week at least you can up your game a little and try a bit more.
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Options
    Hello fellow Zebra ! How are you ?
    Thanks for your reply , I used to do a little Pilates but it became to difficult to keep it up , so I Now do some of the easier movements and basic warm ups at home ( not as often as I should I must admit !) so thanks for the reminder
    I feel a Little like I am in Catch-22 situation, , too overweight and physically exhausted to move easily yet need to move more to build some stamina and help with losing some weight if that makes sense … but will keep at it !
    I have an open food diary and would like some more friends on here ! I can’t send requests for some reason so please feel free to add me if you can 😊
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited April 8
    Options
    Hello @Zebra_Aitch and @Hangrycatapilar !

I’m also disabled. Being disabled does pose a little more complications for us, but there are things we can do to lose weight and get into the best shape possible for us as disabled individuals.

My biggest issue is a balance disorder, but I am also diabetic, and while not diagnosed as EDS, my joints are very loose and it has been an issue back in the days when I could hike and ride my unicycle and bike. Also low thyroid (currently well controlled) and rehabbing from a whiplash related back injury at the moment. And I’m over 60, so that menopause thing… it hasn’t been too bad for me. But it’s been a factor.

I started a group here for disabled folks to have a place of our own to discuss topics that are more relevant to us. It’s quiet, so please join and we can make it a thing.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-chronic-illness-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this

One thing I do is set my calorie target very low, because many of us disabled people are less than sedentary. For example on a typical day I might take 350 steps. I had heard (but haven’t been able to track down anything definitive) that “sedentary” assumes 3000 steps.
    This calculator suggests that for someone of my height and weight that’s about 130 calories.
    https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/steps-to-calories
    100 calories over target every day isn’t the worst thing. It’s not much, but over time that kind of thing adds up.

I also have the privilege to have been able to afford an exercise machine called a NuStep. You might have used one at physical therapy before.
    They’re basically a recumbent elliptical, and are very adaptable to different disabilities.

There are other things you can do also. It’s probably a big discussion.

Please send me a friend request if you want more friends here
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Options
    MargaretYakoda Thankyou so much for your reply , it’s good to hear you have started a group , I would like to be friends however the option doesn’t come up for me to send friend requests , please could you send me one if possible .
    Yes I set my settings as sedentary, and some days I’m less than that ! But probably averages out over the weeks .
    Thanks for the links I will take a look
    Today has been a good day , managed a short walk , had my joint supports on and really enjoyed being out
    Best wishes hope to be friends and part of the group soon !
    H
  • Kckwasnaaolcom
    Kckwasnaaolcom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also unable to exercise due to physical restrictions at this time. I am currently doing everything according to plan but have been stuck for two weeks with no loss! I’d be happy if you would share with me any information you have received from others on this topic! It is so frustrating and depressing to be stuck!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I am also unable to exercise due to physical restrictions at this time. I am currently doing everything according to plan but have been stuck for two weeks with no loss! I’d be happy if you would share with me any information you have received from others on this topic! It is so frustrating and depressing to be stuck!

Plateaus happen. Two weeks isn’t long enough to worry about yet…

By “unable to exercise” do you mean cardio, or something else?

As always, if you’re dealing with a medical issue, you might want to discuss exercise options with a physiotherapist.
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Options

Hi , I didn’t get much response apart from margaretyakoda ( Thankyou ❤️) I joined the disability group so hoping that may grow , I’m more than happy to be friends however I’m unable to send friend requests from my account for some reason, so please feel free to add me if you can ! I know it can be disheartening when we don’t see results, however there can be so many reasons for this , so we are not giving up !
    # time, perseverance, kindness and self compassion

• BansheeCatXD
    BansheeCatXD Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i've got asthma that prevents me from doing a ton of exercise. i can do some, but if it's outside, forget it (because i also have allergies.)
  • hallen250
    hallen250 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not new to the app, but new to the community side of it!

I have tachycardia/sob/pots symptoms that make it difficult to exercise.
    Also need to lower my cholesterol through diet.

Just here checking things out! I don't know how to add friends lol
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Options
    i've got asthma that prevents me from doing a ton of exercise. i can do some, but if it's outside, forget it (because i also have allergies.)

That sounds tough not being able to exercise outside , it can be so frustrating when we have limitations to exercise or moving ,
    I am trying to find the things I CAN do , and that differs depending on the day !
    Having connections with others in a similar situation and reading their posts helps inspire me ! Please feel free to send friend request or join the group link posted above 😊
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,908 Member
    Options
    I just had my 10th foot/leg surgery so I am out of commission for now ... Would love to be your friend
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Options
    I just had my 10th foot/leg surgery so I am out of commission for now ... Would love to be your friend

Oh that’s a lot of surgery ! , I wish you a speedy recovery ❤️‍🩹
    Please send me a friend request as I can’t see the add friend link on some profiles for some reason !
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

Please send me a friend request as I can’t see the add friend link on some profiles for some reason !

Thank you and sending you a friend request
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

I tried adding you but for some reason it is not working
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Options

I tried adding you but for some reason it is not working

I received your request 😀 and have now a new friend 😊 ! Thankyou

• MargaretYakoda
    Options

Hey, mind if I send you a friend request too?
    💐