Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Economic impact of overweight and obesity to surpass $4 trillion in 10 years

Options

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 755 Member
    edited April 22
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Leo, I understand you have a diet preference, and if it keeps you from being one of the 1 billion people with weight problems, costing us trillions of dollars, and you’re happy, that’s a win for me! I saw “moderation” all over the first page of Google too. Glad we agree on that. I really mean it.

Dafuq? You wanted a debate on how we tackle obesity. I mentioned getting readily available, reliable information would be helpful. I was met with "he only listens to pseudoscience from youtubers".

I post an example of what I meant, with links to scientific studies to back them up but you choose to just read over it because you feel I'm just arguing for the
    sake of my preferred diet. 🤨🤨🤨

Anyway I'm out, enjoy your debate.

I didn’t say that to you. I think you’re mixing me up with someone else. I do like your contribution and hope you choose to stick around if you have more to add to the topic, specifically what you think we can do to improve our situation now and in the future.
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 22
    Options
    @rileysowner

I appreciate your feedback. What do you say when carnivore doesn’t work for the masses? What if they’re like me, most of their calories are from carbs, protein, and fat, in that order? I’m healthy (now), but would you tell me what I’m doing is going to cause health problems in the future? If not, why not?

More importantly, are you allowing a healthy balanced variety of food to be embraced by the masses? Or are you demonizing foods that could prevent a healthy balance of food?

This post isn’t about excuses or promoting a certain diet, because that’s impossible, so what balanced approach do you have?

I said I eat Ketovore. I didn't say everyone should. I said they should avoid most processed food and start cooking meals from whole ingredients. Don't put words into my mouth.

I certainly didn’t try to put words in your mouth, just accidentally used the wrong term. I like the simple recommendation, cook real food! It should be that simple. We make it so hard :/ The terms I think are what trip people up. Like, who cares? If we stick to “eat real food” most of the time we are getting somewhere. The only thing missing is… in a calorie balance.

My personal experience is once I started actually cooking real food, I found my appetite regulated somewhat better. I did that just counting calories for two months before going Keto, and I lost weight at the same rate I did when I switched to Keto. The problem was that my blood work continued to get worse while eating at a deficit even though it was real food cooked from scratch. That is why I went Keto, and it worked for me even better at controlling my appetite. I went more meat based largely because it was simpler than counting carbs in terms of cooking, but I still eat some veggies, just not a lot. However, as I said, eating real food in itself started to regulate my hunger signals. It didn't do it completely, but it was certainly a step in the right direction. Once I got away from the mass produced hyperpalatable foods, self control was much easier. They still tempted me, which they really don't any longer, so that would still be an issue for those going to real food. My main point is that we have huge industries designed around and depending on encouraging consumption of their products. Then there is a huge pharma industry that makes more money off the various medications needed. I don't think it is some conspiracy. It is just businesses doing what businesses do. However, it is not in the interest of the individual who ends up on a handful of medications for things that could be dealt with through dietary and lifestyle changes which would reduce the costs cited at the beginning of all this.

Agree on all counts really. And I think if we change the way we eat and what we care about those businesses will follow suit. Have any thoughts on what changes could be made with insurance companies to improve our health focus? So far it doesn’t seem like it’s doing enough, if anything it’s hurting healthy families.
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 22
    Options
    "foods" engineered to be hyperpalatable is the foundation of ultra processed foods which typically are a combination of carbohydrates, sugar, fat and salt which triggers the brains reward system which interferes with the body's ability to regulate appetite and satiety which encourages excessive eating, this isn't rocket science, it's a well documented fact and has been for decades. Ann touched on our evolutionary adaptive abilities that helped us survive that are now turning out to be our nemesis, isn't that special.

I think we all know this to be true, no argument there. The question is, what do we do about it? How do we get people to care about the impact they’re making to not just themselves but our kids, community, and society. This isn’t a personal problem, it’s an everyone problem. I agree weight gain can be a slow slippery slope and then one day you wake up and realize you’re breathing heavy when you go up the stairs. It can sneak up on you. I get it. But we need to reframe the way we think about our impact and how it’s not just about “me”. And if we don’t then personal accountability will be off the table and will eventually be controlled by someone else. Maybe that’s what it’s gonna take. I’d rather it not though.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    "foods" engineered to be hyperpalatable is the foundation of ultra processed foods which typically are a combination of carbohydrates, sugar, fat and salt which triggers the brains reward system which interferes with the body's ability to regulate appetite and satiety which encourages excessive eating, this isn't rocket science, it's a well documented fact and has been for decades. Ann touched on our evolutionary adaptive abilities that helped us survive that are now turning out to be our nemesis, isn't that special.

I think we all know this to be true, no argument there. The question is, what do we do about it? How do we get people to care about the impact they’re making to not just themselves but our kids, community, and society. This isn’t a personal problem, it’s an everyone problem. I agree weight gain can be a slow slippery slope and then one day you wake up and realize you’re breathing heavy when you go up the stairs. It can sneak up on you. I get it. But we need to reframe the way we think about our impact and how it’s not just about “me”. And if we don’t then personal accountability will be off the table and will eventually be controlled by someone else. Maybe that’s what it’s gonna take. I’d rather it not though.

I don't know if there is a way. People, myself included until recently, predominantly seem to think everything is fine and just want a pill or something similar to fix the health issues. Maybe I am too pessimistic, but it isn't like the dangers have not been made public for decades. It seems no matter what, people either are too "addicted" (I use that term hesitantly) or too uncaring about those dangers. I constantly need to remind myself that the community here is but a small subset of the population, and one that cares about these things far more.
  • ddsb1111
    Options

I don't know if there is a way. People, myself included until recently, predominantly seem to think everything is fine and just want a pill or something similar to fix the health issues. Maybe I am too pessimistic, but it isn't like the dangers have not been made public for decades. It seems no matter what, people either are too "addicted" (I use that term hesitantly) or too uncaring about those dangers. I constantly need to remind myself that the community here is but a small subset of the population, and one that cares about these things far more.

I hear you. I have 3 kids and I’m a big sister for the BBBS program and I want to be optimistic for them or fear will set in. Another poster here mentioned she tries her best to improve everyday and do what she can. I try to instill that in our kids. I try to find a balance between being frustrated that we have to suffer for the decisions of others, with compassion and empathy because it isn’t easy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    edited April 22
    Options

Before I fix the world I'm obligated to fix myself first and foremost, then I might have some advice, but unfortunately that would only be anecdotal. And my basic anecdotal advice is to replace some UPF with more whole food as a first step and I suspect that will be a very tough go for the vast majority of people, small steps first.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 485 Member
    edited April 22
    Options
    Pretty authoritarian point of view to control and require what other people weigh and choose to eat; especially when the food choices are legal and readily available for sale.
    -- I would not want to live under a government that dictated what and how much I ate or weigh.
    -- nor do I ever want to be shamed nor denigrated for making what is a legal and available choice. My choice is my choice to make. It is not an excuse. It is a choice I make, all things considered and I'm rather certain no one wants to know what I think of their choice. It is their choice, not mine. As they say, you do you and stay out of my business - sometimes that boundary needs to be stated. This is wholly different than having a beneficial discussion of possibilities and information sharing which I thoroughly enjoy throughout the forums.

Personally, I don't think you can legislate nor dictate weight and ways of eating. Beneficial changes can be encouraged through government policies in terms of education, providing supportive medical insurance coverages, meal/food distribution programs through schools and for the various supplemental support programs. Same for corporations and products based on consumer demand. How do you increase consumer demand? Education and other supportive policies so the people desire different foods....
    -- have observed though, that various solutions have been hotly debated over the decades and often there is overwhelming resistance from lobbyists/corporations and even the public.... There seems to be $$ in keeping people consuming lots and lots and lots of these legal foods... Not sure that will change in the near future.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Pretty authoritarian point of view to control and require what other people weigh and choose to eat; especially when the food choices are legal and readily available for sale.
    -- I would not want to live under a government that dictated what and how much I ate or weigh.
    -- nor do I ever want to be shamed nor denigrated for making what is a legal and available choice. My choice is my choice to make. It is not an excuse. It is a choice I make, all things considered and I'm rather certain no one wants to know what I think of their choice. It is their choice, not mine. As they say, you do you and stay out of my business - sometimes that boundary needs to be stated. This is wholly different than having a beneficial discussion of possibilities and information sharing which I thoroughly enjoy throughout the forums.

Personally, I don't think you can legislate nor dictate weight and ways of eating. Beneficial changes can be encouraged through government policies in terms of education, providing supportive medical insurance coverages, meal/food distribution programs through schools and for the various supplemental support programs. Same for corporations and products based on consumer demand. How do you increase consumer demand? Education and other supportive policies so the people desire different foods....
    -- have observed though, that various solutions have been hotly debated over the decades and often there is overwhelming resistance from lobbyists/corporations and even the public.... There seems to be $$ in keeping people consuming lots and lots and lots of these legal foods... Not sure that will change in the near future.

Exactly this. I agree that the answer is not in trying to legislate or dictate dietary choices... that wouldn't work anyway. And yes, there are billions upon billions of dollars keeping people eating highly processed foods. There is no easy answer, and likely never will be.
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 23
    Options

I don’t think anyone has an authoritarian pov here, maybe I missed some posts further up, I’ll have to go back. I think we all want to continue to make our own choice in when, what, and how much we eat. The problem is, those choices are costing us 4 Trillion dollars, killing people, and effecting our community. This is the only part I don’t agree with you on. You think that this is non of my business, and I truly wish it wasn’t, but unfortunately obesity has become my business, my families business, and my communities business. And it will continue to be everyone’s business until people can be responsible for themselves. All I know is, what anyone else chooses to eat is the last thing I care to know unless I’m asking for the recipe 😆.

often there is overwhelming resistance from lobbyists/corporations and even the public.... There seems to be $$ in keeping people consuming lots and lots and lots of these legal foods... Not sure that will change in the near future.

I completely agree, there’s so much push back on creating positive change because there’s no money in it. But we shouldn’t rely on the government to create policies. We should be handling this at home with ourselves and our families. You said “Beneficial changes can be encouraged through government policies in terms of education, providing supportive medical insurance coverages, meal/food distribution programs through schools and for the various supplemental support programs.” Who pays for that? This is where some of that 4 Trillion dollars is coming from, so it’s just throwing money at a problem most people ignore, IMO. I would be so much more excited about giving the government more of my money if it actually helped, but it’s proving to do the opposite. I think at the end of the day the real change needs to come from us to care, to research like most of us have here, and make the decision to be more active and cook/eat real food. We have to want more for our families than convenience and pills to make everything okay.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and your thorough response. I think this is really interesting, intriguing, and slightly terrifying lol but it’s important to keep the conversation going.

Think I’ll go meditate now 🧘🏼‍♀️😌.

• Adventurista
    edited April 23
    Options

Bold is mine.

From the 'no excuses' in the op as a discussion criteria (which imho shuts down authentic, perhaps valid replies...) and to the portion bolded in the quote, and to other comments within the entirety of this discussion, again, my choice and no one's business if I puchase and overeat legal substance be it food, alchohol, vapes, extreme sport eating contests. By definition, these are legal and to reiterate, my choice and none of anyone elses business. To suggest that my choices and weight be dictated.... well, i don't agree, never will.

As to how we might help people desire different foods or lifestyles, sure, government policies could be changed, as an illustration... so kids are not provided pop tarts for breakfast nor served ketchup as a vegetable...

Alcohol prohibition was tried and abandoned. Now, in some states, drugs are being decriminalized and houselessness is acute and rising. People are not afforded essential shelter, allowed to live and die on the street... Today the US Supreme court heard arguments on whether it is ok to punish people for camping in public space without elsewhere to go....
    -- and others would want to regulate my food choices. I think not.

• ddsb1111
    Options
    No one said it should be dictated I don’t believe. You are welcome to show me where it does, like I said I may have missed it.

And if you don’t like my passionate writing style, where I said no blame, no excuses, it is to encourage productive action steps, not blame other people for our choices. Again, that has nothing to do with you eating what you want or it being dictated by anyone. Maybe you haven’t read the whole thread.

I can’t respond to much of your post because you’re arguing about something that didn’t happen and that no one wants.

The only thing I disagree with is that the obesity epidemic that is a global emergency is my concern and should be all of ours. I guess we can agree to disagree there.
  • Adventurista
    edited April 23
    Options
    Sorry to not conform to your requirements of discussion @ddsb1111 - thought i was quite clear in the comments I referenced and my expressed opinion of the topic of discussion.... my legal choices are not for others to make...

Out.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,427 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Just a quick aside... in the US we do govern the nuclear family. You cannot legally marry three people together.... polyamory and polygamy are not legally recognized as marriages by the government.

Also, many disabled people in the US would lose their SSDI benefits if they marry.
    Which forces some people into greater poverty, thus reducing their ability to make healthy choices in diet, exercise, and other activities.

• ddsb1111
    Options
    Sorry to not conform to your requirements of discussion @ddsb1111 - thought i was quite clear in the comments I referenced and my expressed opinion of the topic of discussion.... my legal choices are not for others to make...

Out.

I can’t tell if you’re purposely ignoring that I agree, and want no legal choices taken away from anyone. This is the last time I will repeat this to you because arguing a non-argument is pointless. No one wants legal choices taken away. That’s the whole reason for the post- What can we do to make things better. I think you already contributed to how you think we could make it better, and thank you for that contribution.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I mean we're not the ones who put so much junk in our foods to make it go further and taste better, are we.

Sure it's our choice what we actually do eat but when you've got 100 different variations all covered in buzz words like low fat, low sugar it's kinda hard to pick the right ones.

Not to mention a health care system that just pushes more pills onto you rather than address real causes.
    Captialism rules here and food companies and health care aren't as concerned about our health because what we're doing to ourselves makes them more money.
    It is TOTALLY the responsibility of the individual. I've spoken many times about how when people immigrate from poorer countries to here, get a good job and within 10 years are 30-50lbs heavier when they arrived. More money for individuals ALLOWS them to indulge and that's a conscious decision. Sure, you want to enjoy things you may have never had or tasted, but overindulgence seems to just continue.
    Also my opinion is that people are more concerned with status than health which is why they forego things like eating more sensibly and having a routine physical fitness program to keep them fit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You’ve been doing this a long time, do you think the cost and impact is too immense for people to take 4 Trillion and 1/2 the globe being over weight personally? What does it take?

Using Leo’s (sorry Leo) excuse of ‘it’s not fair’ reasoning, what if that 4 Trillion only impacted those in that demographic, and it didn’t impact those who don’t contribute to the epidemic? Would that make a difference? Since, technically speaking, it’s not fair to those who aren’t obese?

I’m probably going to throw out a lot of random scenarios to see what connects.
    When food is doled out and controlled, even if the quality isn't the greatest, then population will usually stay within weight limits for their body. A good example of this is prisons. People incarcerated in prisons have set times to eat, a limited amount (they can't go back for seconds) and usually are sedentary for most of the day. There isn't an obesity epedemic there. The ones that are overweight usually came in that way and if they are long term, they likely have money to access commissary which is usually nothing but junk food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ddsb1111
    edited April 23
    Options
    I mean we're not the ones who put so much junk in our foods to make it go further and taste better, are we.

Sure it's our choice what we actually do eat but when you've got 100 different variations all covered in buzz words like low fat, low sugar it's kinda hard to pick the right ones.

Not to mention a health care system that just pushes more pills onto you rather than address real causes.
    Captialism rules here and food companies and health care aren't as concerned about our health because what we're doing to ourselves makes them more money.
    It is TOTALLY the responsibility of the individual. I've spoken many times about how when people immigrate from poorer countries to here, get a good job and within 10 years are 30-50lbs heavier when they arrived. More money for individuals ALLOWS them to indulge and that's a conscious decision. Sure, you want to enjoy things you may have never had or tasted, but overindulgence seems to just continue.
    Also my opinion is that people are more concerned with status than health which is why they forego things like eating more sensibly and having a routine physical fitness program to keep them fit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You’ve been doing this a long time, do you think the cost and impact is too immense for people to take 4 Trillion and 1/2 the globe being over weight personally? What does it take?

Using Leo’s (sorry Leo) excuse of ‘it’s not fair’ reasoning, what if that 4 Trillion only impacted those in that demographic, and it didn’t impact those who don’t contribute to the epidemic? Would that make a difference? Since, technically speaking, it’s not fair to those who aren’t obese?

I’m probably going to throw out a lot of random scenarios to see what connects.
    When food is doled out and controlled, even if the quality isn't the greatest, then population will usually stay within weight limits for their body. A good example of this is prisons. People incarcerated in prisons have set times to eat, a limited amount (they can't go back for seconds) and usually are sedentary for most of the day. There isn't an obesity epedemic there. The ones that are overweight usually came in that way and if they are long term, they likely have money to access commissary which is usually nothing but junk food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is such an interesting addition to the conversation, I didn’t consider that. Prisons in a sense are like the ‘almost perfect’ control group. This makes me hopeful that earlier education on how to read servings sizes is possible since it’s simplifying the process.

I’m embarrassed to say, I didn’t understand serving sizes myself until I came here. Even if I saw nutrition on the side of the box I would think, yeah but what do I do with that information? What does it even mean? I wish I had known earlier that no, I didn’t need 2000 calories, I needed to know my TDEE and to eat that. It was such an aha moment.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The S.A.D really is sad! :(
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options

I personally don't see a population-level change that can be made by an individual, that personal accountability and influencing your children is the only thing that can really be done. What high-level interventions do you see being effective ways to bring about global and societal change that seems to be needed? Or even at a smaller level? I suppose if you're reproductively inclined you could lobby a school board for healthier meals, but what level of intervention is theoretically possible for adults to successfully undergo to implement large-scale dietary changes?
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 23
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

I personally don't see a population-level change that can be made by an individual, that personal accountability and influencing your children is the only thing that can really be done. What high-level interventions do you see being effective ways to bring about global and societal change that seems to be needed? Or even at a smaller level? I suppose if you're reproductively inclined you could lobby a school board for healthier meals, but what level of intervention is theoretically possible for adults to successfully undergo to implement large-scale dietary changes?

I was hoping there would be some out of the box thinking for improvement I never considered, but the more I’m looking at it and seeing the responses, I have to agree with you. It doesn’t seem like change here is theoretically possible. It’s pretty depressing 🙁. There’s too many excuses, convenience, and ingrained unhealthy habits, for most people to care enough about their health. I don’t know why this surprises me so much, but it does. I’m hopeful, and still think we can accomplish great things if we put our minds to it, but I also won’t hold my breath. This community is a great help and changing lives all the time so at least we have that.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

I was hoping there would be some out of the box thinking for improvement I never considered, but the more I’m looking at it and seeing the responses, I have to agree with you. It doesn’t seem like change here is theoretically possible. It’s pretty depressing 🙁. There’s too many excuses, convenience, and ingrained unhealthy habits, for most people to care enough about their health. I don’t know why this surprises me so much, but it does. I’m hopeful, and still think we can accomplish great things if we put our minds to it, but I also won’t hold my breath.

I think the problem is too big to even really contemplate. Four trillion anything is such a ridiculously large number, it's hard to even imagine, much less think of as a target to measure change. I may just be in a bit of a bubble, but I also don't see a whole lot of excessively large people or a lack of whatever might be deemed "healthy" foods. Most of the people I see could maybe lose 10 pounds, so nothing like debilitating obesity. Of course I have no idea what their health challenges might be otherwise in terms of CV disease, or blood pressure, or T2 diabetes, but you get what I mean.

Of course I've read the studies and seen the clinical trial ads for different programs or procedures for weight loss, so I get the scope of the problem. I think that obesity is a lot like climate change. They're both huge problems that need to be addressed, but individual impact feels very small and it often feels like shouting into the wind when no matter how much broccoli you buy, someone else is going to keep buying Ho-Ho cakes. But like-minded people seem to find each other, and then small groups get bigger, bigger groups get organized, organizers can lobby organizations and governments, and organizations and governments can foster and legislate change. It's just a long road between your own efforts and $4T.