Over 65

Options
New to the app would love feedback from others my age

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Plus your age at 70, feel free to send a friend request if you need to support and encouragement. Good luck
  • doodleb1954
    doodleb1954 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Barbara and I live in Michigan. I will be 70 this year and would love to chat with others in my age group. There is a difficulty for people my age in losing weight and would love to hear other perspectives on the journey.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,065 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • medtechnc
    medtechnc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60, am I too young to join.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited April 24
    Options
    I’ll be 62 shortly. I lost 40%+ of my starting weight, obese and sedentary, beginning in 2018, and have been in maintenance here for three or four years.

First of all, if you commit to learning and using the app as intended, it’s not difficult at all.

What’s difficult is starting, investing the time to learn the app, and sticking with it, as well as simply getting off our arses.

We blame our weight gain on age, menopause, etc etc etc but that’s the blame game. Really, we’ve wound down, and accepted being fat and immobile as part of being a “woman of a certain age”.

It sure what kind of feedback you’re seeking? If you want reassurance that winding down and keeping the status quo is OK, I’m not going to give it.

I’ve got things to do, and with weight loss come the energy to do them again.

Please, ask questions! I want you to be in my shoes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    I’ll be 62 shortly. I lost 40%+ of my starting weight, obese and sedentary, beginning in 2018, and have been in maintenance here for three or four years.

First of all, if you commit to learning and using the app as intended, it’s not difficult at all.

What’s difficult is starting, investing the time to learn the app, and sticking with it, as well as simply getting off our arses.

We blame our weight gain on age, menopause, etc etc etc but that’s the blame game. Really, we’ve wound down, and accepted being fat and immobile as part of being a “woman of a certain age”.

It sure what kind of feedback you’re seeking? If you want reassurance that winding down and keeping the status quo is OK, I’m not going to give it.

I’ve got things to do, and with weight loss come the energy to do them again.

Please, ask questions! I want you to be in my shoes.

Quoting to see that on-brand @springerling62 truth-y truth-tastic truthfulness again!

Me, too, pretty much the same story, but more like "only" 27% of my starting bodyweight (class 1 obese back then), while severely hypothyroid (medicated), of course menopausal. I was also not fully sedentary: I'd been a recreational athlete for around a dozen years by then, and stayed overweight/obese despite training pretty hard 6 days most weeks. (That makes me convinced that exercise, while maybe helpful, isn't in itself a weight loss strategy. Calorie intake matters!) I'm heading into year 8 of maintaining a healthy weight right around now.

Eat the right number of calories, add some manageably challenging exercise gradually (if inactive) to feel better and eat a little more while losing at the same rate, try to make the process relatively easy rather than super fast, stick with it, and you can surprise yourself, I predict.

No one eating plan (or activity routine) is perfect for all, and the extreme trendy named ones are 100% optional. Find a path that works for you. Other people can give you ideas; beware of the ones who try to give you perfect, guaranteed, universal solutions.

Best wishes for success: The benefits IME are more than worth the effort!