Am new here...

Options
VETNAVY
VETNAVY Posts: 1 Member
Hi guys, am new here. Recently retired and need to work off y-e-a-r-s of secretarial spread and get my circulation back on track. Recently read article in Woman's World where older woman increased her protein, had no issues staying on track, losing weight she wanted to and has maintained it. Article mentioned she was successful with site. Any suggestions on how to put that together on this site? Thanks guys.

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,995 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Suggestions? Sure.

Decide on a sensibly moderate weight loss rate, if weight loss is part of your spread-reduction plan.

Set up your profile, set the activity level excluding intentional exercise. Log your food.

Stay around your calorie goal, say +/- 50 calories on average over a few days, until you have enough data to personalize your goals.

Work on improving your nutrition, especially adequate protein and fats. (Both of those contain essential nutrients.) Most people feel more full more of the time if they eat mostly so-called whole foods (vs. highly processed ones), but that's somewhat subjective (along with other aspects of satiation including that protein thing). The MFP default nutrition goals are a reasonable starting point for most people. Improving nutrition doesn't need to be instant perfect, as long as not dealing with some pre-existing deficiency or major health crisis. There's never a need to be exactly exact on nutrient goals: Pretty close on average is fine.

Stick with it for 4-6 weeks consistently (whole menstrual cycle(s) if you have them). Then compare your requested loss rate to actual average weekly loss, and adjust calorie goal if necessary. (The starting goals are estimates/averages. You're an individual.)

Do some manageably challenging exercise you enjoy. Ideally that would be both strength and cardio of some kind, but phase it in gradually if out of shape. Fatigue is counter-productive.

When you exercise, log the exercise (or better yet, sync a good fitness tracker), and eat at least a fair fraction of the exercise calories, too.

Women's World publishes (IMO) quite a bit of questionable health, diet and fitness advice. What you wrote in your post sounds OK, except that I'd say increased protein is filling for some, maybe even most, but if you're getting plenty now increasing may not do anything special; and even if you're low now, it may not be the total solution. Satiation tends to be somewhat individual.

Consider reading and even posting here in the Community. I got a lot out of doing that when I was starting.

Mostly, don't give up. A key part of that is not picking extreme tactics that don't suit you. But no matter what, if you don't give up, but instead keep adjusting your tactics until the routine clicks for you, you can succeed. Only giving up leads to failure.

Who I am? A retired older woman (68) who used to be class 1 obese, joined MFP at 59, reached a healthy weight by a few months into age 60, and who has been at a healthy weight since. (I'm also active and reasonably fit for our demographic, but I was pretty much a sedentary lump until after cancer treatment. I started gradually getting more active at around 47, was training regularly and even competing as an athlete within a couple of years, but stayed fat for another dozen years, active the whole time. (That's because I was Not Smart. ;) )

There are quite a few similar people here. We aren't special unicorns. You can do it, too, if you commit to it.

Best wishes!