Does anyone get their RDA of fiber?

Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I usually run higher than 40 grams of fiber a day from my food. Veggies are a good source, steel cut oats, beans (especially navy and black beans), lentils, and more. Start incorporating them in your diet and you will find you not only have lots of fiber, but pretty much all of them are not that calorie dense.

For beans I purchase dried ones, cook up a bunch and then freeze them in the portion sizes I need. This avoids all the sodium added to canned beans.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't eat a lot of the fiber bars - something in them really upsets my stomach. But I definitely get in 25-30g per day by other means with no stomach upset.

Check the nutritional info on the bread you are buying. Only buy if there is 3g or more fiber per slice. Anything marked 'double fiber' is a good bet! I really like Schwebel's Selects multigrain. I also really like those whole-wheat sandwich thins you can find now. Those things are packed with fiber! Then, eat one or more fruits/veggies per meal on average. That should get your fiber up!
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    http://www.fullplatediet.org/

They apparently offer a free copy of this book online, which is a plant-based high fiber diet. I bet you could find some great recipes here!
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm usually about double RDA of fiber. As people have posted - beans, greens, and fruits are your friends!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am usually over my fiber intake every day. I don't even notice it or try to eat it. If you stop eating white bread and buy whole grain bread/pasta products, you will meet it very easily. My boyfriend wasn't wild about me buying these when I moved in, and he now prefers them because they taste better. You also can get fiber from fruits like apples :)
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm always over too!

I eat lots of fruit, veg, beans, seeds, nuts and whole grains.

Personally, I prefer to get my fibre from natural sources!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist gave me a goal of 30g of fiber (as is recommended in Germany) and most days I am fine with reaching that. How? Oatmeal, whole grain pasta and bread, and veggies. Meeting my fiber goal is really the least of my worries in terms of nutrition.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i go over mine evey single day! my diary is public feel free to have a look!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have changed up to seeded wheat breads, wheat pasta, etc. Reading all the info. about the side effects of adding too much too fast has hit a chord with me :( what can I do to get these symptoms to subside? I don't want to cut back and re-add, will it eventually balance out as my system gets used to it?
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I find apples give a good fibre boost, and I think eating whole-grain bread and cereals helps. The good thing is, lots of high fibre foods - specifically, fresh veggies and fruits - are low in fat and calories.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I usually surpass my fiber goal daily. Feel free to look through my diary for ideas. However, ignore the past three days as I have been traveling for business, making it tough to meet any of my goals!!