How do I increase protein while being dairy free.

Options
MPink13
MPink13 Posts: 7 Member
Needing help. I was hitting 120g of protein daily, I was enjoying a lot of greek yogurts and cottage cheese etc but due to recent tests I have been told I need to change to dairy free. My body doesn’t tolerate cows.
I am struggling badly trying to hit protein, all
The dairy free alternatives seem to be very low in protein.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    melpawlik wrote: »
    Needing help. I was hitting 120g of protein daily, I was enjoying a lot of greek yogurts and cottage cheese etc but due to recent tests I have been told I need to change to dairy free. My body doesn’t tolerate cows.
    I am struggling badly trying to hit protein, all
    The dairy free alternatives seem to be very low in protein.

Beans, lentils, tofu, eggs (if you eat them) are all high in protein.
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes what she said and tuna
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    Was this test done by a doctor or a naturopat? Other things not named yet: goats cheese, feta, labne (if made from sheep milk), and of course meat and fish, shellfish.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    This thread here in the Community might offer some helpful ideas:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Probably obvious, but it's also fine to use a good-quality protein powder or bars to reach your protein goals, potentially even just as a transition aid while working out a new eating routine.

I'd also suggest a strategy I used as a vegetarian when first figuring out how to get adequate protein on reduced calories. Of course we want to have that one big protein source in each meal.

But on top of that, take a look at your food diary and identify foods that have relatively many calories, relatively little (or no) protein, and that aren't as important to you for other nutrition, satiation, tastiness, etc.. Are there things you enjoy eating that you could sub for part or all of those portions, that have a bit more protein?

There are grains with more protein than others, veggies with more protein, types of bread and snacks with more protein, even some fruits with a little protein. These aren't huge sources, but the small amounts can add up through the day. Also they may not be quite as complete (in essential amino acids, EAAs) or bioavailable as meats or fish or soy, but eating a variety of different ones somewhat compensates for those limitations.

Best wishes!
  • MPink13
    MPink13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yirara, sorry couldn’t find how to reply directly. The test were done privately our with doctors. But if i’m honest with myself i’ve known for years. I get a funny tummy after eating cheddar cheese and was getting bad tummy pains after lunch along with other symptoms!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    FairLife (cow) milk has 13 grams of protein in 8oz and is lactose free with a long shelf life. It is more expensive than regular milk but you can use it in smoothies or with your oatmeal for a protein boost few times a week. FairLife has also a protein drink, lactose free too, with 30 grams of protein in 11oz in chocolate and vanilla flavors.
  • leebertnakao
    leebertnakao Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eggs and nuts are my go-to!
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Edamame is great. High in protein and fiber.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    edited May 14
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, fish, and don't forget to investigate the veggies that have the highest protein for lower calorie options. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318600#mustard-greens
  • Dam378
    Dam378 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OWN protein drinks are made from plants and have 20g of protein, 180 calories, and 5g net carbs in each 12oz. bottle. The vanilla tastes good (not too sweet) and works well with fruit for smoothies. I have tried quite a few protein drinks and this is the only one I found that did not have an aftertaste. I even tried drinking dairy protein drinks and taking Lactaid with them (still had bad mucus build up in throat and bothered my stomach). Protein powders are grainy; the ones that come in bottles are convenient and can be taken everywhere. I too, have a problem with dairy and I don't particularly like meat, so I have to find inventive ways to increase protein - It can be challenging!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited May 15
    Options
    People haven't said it but meat? Eat leftovers for breakfast if you don't want to cook in the morning.

Turkey, chicken, fish, steak, pork tenderloin, shellfish, etc.