Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Crazy Marketing Claims in Ads

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,570 Member
    edited May 6
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    q6gi8x49c13d.jpg
    E njy2ybxighy3.jpg
    Now we can all get semaglutide and look like.... skeletons? I thought we left heroin chic behind back in the nineties.
    AmunahSki wrote: »
    ruvi440tx1ow.jpeg

Only because I read this thread, I thought I would investigate further…
    mnoy0f4vt2ol.jpeg

89nmke8k412n.jpeg

twh5jnc8fwpx.jpeg

n14u4q8thoro.jpeg

ipqyxxu4sqbo.jpeg

Um, is he following the doctor’s ‘exercises while wearing the device’, or just wearing the band, then?

So, to the science… He explains:
    qyd69jdo26xv.jpeg

Bet you’re wondering about the science, huh? Fear not, as there are some really interesting diagrams:

kahw1q4o6v7p.jpeg

w6qgmk64gvik.jpeg

Other endorsement photos look convincing, surely?
    3559eeyh5v1v.jpeg

Comes with a disclaimer, which I think is the only truthful element:
    mpabch0gfovh.jpeg

The copy editing is amazing on that!
    So many basic mistakes.
    Absolutely a trustworthy company. NOT!

The good news is they’re on sale at Wally World for a buck fifty six
    Absolutely screams of quality
    Screams being the operative word here wwm8uycsgdda.jpeg

Also…. Didn’t we all learn from Wish, SHEIN, and Temo not to buy anything from a random Facebook ad?

Honestly. PT Barnum was right.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many of those before and after photos were stolen from Success Stories. 😢
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options

DIY mail order Semaglutide (with the "Ladies, put down your glass of wine" lead, besides), the "Titanium Lympunclog Wristband Pro" that explodes fat cells, and so many more! Unbelievable. (I'm so glad I started this thread. 🤣🤣🤣 It has become everything I'd hoped for.)
    I wonder how many of those before and after photos were stolen from Success Stories. 😢

Some few years back, that reportedly really was a problem on MFP, apparently a rash of that sort of thing, as I understand it. But sure, they get them from somewhere, right? (And it's not, in cases like this, from actual satisfied customers, you betcha.)

Crazy stuff.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Some few years back, that reportedly really was a problem on MFP, apparently a rash of that sort of thing, as I understand it. But sure, they get them from somewhere, right? (And it's not, in cases like this, from actual satisfied customers, you betcha.)

Crazy stuff.

That after pic looks like something from a pro (very bad habit) weight loss group.
    I don’t even want to type it out. Y’all know what I mean though.
  • springlering62
    edited May 7
    Options
    Well since English is clearly not their native language, I do them credit for coming up with "Titanium Lympunclog Wristband Pro" in the first place.

Either that or AI understands our word weaknesses better than we do.

Sure, it’s a word soup, but with a soupçon of medical flavor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    COPPER FIT supports. Lol, infused with copper to help heal you faster. Unfortunately because a lot of former pro athletes are endorsing them, I'm sure they are getting a lot of sales.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am 🤬 tired of AI generated senior goddesses, with flat bellies, flawless skin, no wrinkles, perfectly coiffed silver hair, and………toothpick arms.

These are popping up on Atlas Obscura. I’m sad. They’re better than that.
    ybe9qz1ec9va.jpeg

had a version of this one with this person on MFP this morning.

• springlering62
    Options
    I am 🤬 tired of AI generated senior goddesses, with flat bellies, flawless skin, no wrinkles, perfectly coiffed silver hair, and………toothpick arms.

These are popping up on Atlas Obscura. I’m sad. They’re better than that.
    ybe9qz1ec9va.jpeg

had a version of this one with this person on MFP this morning.

Booooooooo MFP
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    edited May 9
    Options
    Now we can all get semaglutide and look like.... skeletons? I thought we left heroin chic behind back in the nineties.

I was just thinking, at the very least the “body positivity” movement got us away from the Callista Flockhart and Sarah Jessica Parker phase, but here we are. Without choice, I just saw a before and after photo of the youngest kardashian sister, whatever her name is, and she was right there in size with Keira Knightly. Noooo!

Here we go again.

it6l2xz5y9ao.gif

Side note- you can tell when I cared about influencers and when I stopped 😆.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I was researching something as unweight-related as it’s possible to get, and somehow got an article about some woman who is a trainer to the stars.

The ad touted her $375 pair of 2.8 pound “heart stones beset with rose quartz” for self care.

scl0b6d3nsn7.jpeg

I never could get a ln understanding what the self care was supposed to be, but I got a vague whiff that simply holding them would make the inches come off.

One of her claims was that good buddy Gwyneth- who is pictured with her all over her site- was “stunned” she lost 11 inches in 10 days.

These were polished rocks. . But the shipping h was free. 👍🏻

>>

Results start in the palm of your hand,
    Reaching out to something bigger than yourself.
    Stretch your imagination, strengthen your will.
    Lengthen towards the light.
    Unlock the healing power of the heart, and trust that love is always within reach.
    Includes:
    A set of two 2.8-lb weighted energy trainers beset with rose quartz
    Artisanal wooden HeartStone base, designed for crystal care and preservation
    Two organic cotton travel bags
    A revolutionary workout strategy based in energy training, custom-designed for next-level arm and core results for all fitness levels
    Complimentary access to the HeartStone app, featuring guided workouts to explore the world of energy-infused fitness, coming soon.
    This product is final sale and non-returnable.

As my daddy used to say, “Stupid is alive and well.”
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited May 11
    Options
    One of her claims was that good buddy Gwyneth- who is pictured with her all over her site- was “stunned” she lost 11 inches in 10 days.

Gwyneth Paltrow of the exploding (private female part) scented candle fame?
    The Gwyneth Paltrow who advises women to steam the aforementioned female part to “detoxify” it? (Please don’t do this folks. It is a Bad Idea®️)
    The Gwyneth Paltrow whose diet consists of things that if I detailed them here they’d likely be flagged as promoting extreme pro (far too restrictive and unhealthy stuff).
    The Gwyneth Paltrow who thinks having a nurse administer daily vitamin and phosphatidylcholine IVs is totally normal and not weird at all?

That Gwyneth Paltrow????

Associated with a diet and exercise scammer!?!!!?

Say it ain’t so! 😳😱

Also.
    Repetitive motions, resistance, and light hand weights?
    I’m gonna have to tell my physical therapist about this astonishing revelation!!!
    /s
    o1hpzrmi5rj2.jpeg
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Shame on you MFP. You should know better than that.

c0615vzpxcbz.jpeg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    what exactly is wrong with above?

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options
    Turning fat into muscle isn't a real thing 🙂
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Saw that stupid VShred guy on my YouTube feed again, this time selling his supplements. One was a "fat burner", the other one is designed to increase your testosterone and lower cortisol (not so sure I want to increase T since I am a woman). So sick of these snake oil salesmen.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I was researching something as unweight-related as it’s possible to get, and somehow got an article about some woman who is a trainer to the stars.

The ad touted her $375 pair of 2.8 pound “heart stones beset with rose quartz” for self care.

scl0b6d3nsn7.jpeg

I never could get a ln understanding what the self care was supposed to be, but I got a vague whiff that simply holding them would make the inches come off.

These were polished rocks. . But the shipping h was free. 👍🏻

>>

Results start in the palm of your hand,
    Reaching out to something bigger than yourself.
    Stretch your imagination, strengthen your will.
    Lengthen towards the light.
    Unlock the healing power of the heart, and trust that love is always within reach.
    Includes:
    A set of two 2.8-lb weighted energy trainers beset with rose quartz
    Artisanal wooden HeartStone base, designed for crystal care and preservation
    Two organic cotton travel bags
    A revolutionary workout strategy based in energy training, custom-designed for next-level arm and core results for all fitness levels
    Complimentary access to the HeartStone app, featuring guided workouts to explore the world of energy-infused fitness, coming soon.
    This product is final sale and non-returnable.

As my daddy used to say, “Stupid is alive and well.”
    She ISN'T even an certified trainer. She also touts that lifting more than 3lbs weights will make you bulky.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Turning fat into muscle isn't a real thing 🙂

Yep. 2 different types of cellular make up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    Ok. I would take the ad to be about recompisition, rather than literally turning fat into muscle. And strengthening exercises as in the picture would seem the scientific way to do that.

That ad doesnt seem as extreme or absurd to me as the others.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options
    Ok. I would take the ad to be about recompisition, rather than literally turning fat into muscle. And strengthening exercises as in the picture would seem the scientific way to do that.

Just sad really, when you think about it. That there are such crazy ads out there that regular misinformation barely even registers :smile:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

It's a statement perpetuating misinformation and as we see every day in these forums, many many people take everything they see as fact because no one has every told them the actual facts. A white lie is still a lie. It should say "Learn the science-backed way to reduce fat and increase muscle". And personally, using the term "science-backed" for something that is scientifically impossible makes me twitch.