New features on MyFitnessPal

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,342 Member
edited May 15 in Chit-Chat
I see there is new feature on MFP...the "Activity" space, to write, post, and share stuff. I tried it, writing a couple of sentences, but I have questions.

1) has anyone else seen this new feature.
2) what does it provide above the old profile page newsfeed
3) Where would someone go, to see another person's public "Activities" feed?

Tagged:

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    edited May 16
    Options
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    edited May 15
    Options
    I can’t access it personally from the link and don’t see it.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    I can’t access it personally from the link and don’t see it.

Consider clicking over to the original post, look here.

Community -> News and Announcements -> Welcome to your Activity Feed!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I see there is new feature on MFP...the "Activity" space, to write, post, and share stuff. I tried it, writing a couple of sentences, but I have questions.

Hmm, I think the link got changed, let me try again: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10915268/welcome-to-your-activity-feed#latest
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    To access your activity feed while in the community section, click your picture in the top right corner. On the screen that brings up, click your pic again. Then you should be taken to your activity feed.

Frankly, I don't see the point, but maybe that is just me.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,063 MFP Staff
    edited May 16
    Options

The first two will be a more personal answer. But the last one...

How do I find a friend?
    There are two ways to locate the profile of your friend. The first way is to click their profile photo in the community, then click view profile.

The second way is to type in this URL, and insert their username at the end, with no spaces: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/(InsertYourFriendsUsernameHere)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Nova wrote: »

How do I find a friend?
    There are two ways to locate the profile of your friend. The first way is to click their profile photo in the community, then click view profile.

The second way is to type in this URL, and insert their username at the end, with no spaces: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/(InsertYourFriendsUsernameHere)

Yeah, the person opinion is what I was asking. I have a token one entry. @rileysowner has nothing, @ddsb1111 is blocked, and you @Nova have a post that looks like somebody else put it there.

As a new feature, whom can you imagine (if not yourself) will get value, fun, pals, etc. out of this? How does it fit in to the normal MFP users experience? Does it lean more toward a person private diary, or like in the example of your activity profile, where someone else addresses you directly?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    To access your activity feed while in the community section, click your picture in the top right corner. On the screen that brings up, click your pic again. Then you should be taken to your activity feed.

I don't see the point either.
    These activity pages already existed beforehand, I think the only new part is the field where anyone can add a message. But what is the use of this compared to the newsfeed? I'm not getting it.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

I don't see the point either.
    These activity pages already existed beforehand, I think the only new part is the field where anyone can add a message. But what is the use of this compared to the newsfeed? I'm not getting it.

If someone wants to see my activity, it makes much more sense to become friends and then it shows up in their news feed. I don't see myself adding stuff to a completely different activity feed just for the sake of adding it. I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't see the point.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    If someone wants to see my activity, it makes much more sense to become friends
    Okay, you asked for it, "friend request" sent.

MFP hasn't done much to educate me on what this new feature is supposed to do, or for whom it is a good thing. Like you, I just see a bunch of redundancy with the current newsfeeds.

• jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

How do I find a friend?

So I have to navigate to each friend to see if they have any new activity? If so, that is insane and renders the the whole thing pointless (as others have mentioned).
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    jbs116 wrote: »

How do I find a friend?

So I have to navigate to each friend to see if they have any new activity? If so, that is insane and renders the the whole thing pointless (as others have mentioned).
    Agreed!

R.I.P MFP
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    MFP hasn't done much to educate me on what this new feature is supposed to do, or for whom it is a good thing.
    MFP meekly reports their plans: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/26953529858317-Retiring-the-Newsfeed-feature-by-the-end-of-June-2024
  • rileysowner
    Options
    MFP hasn't done much to educate me on what this new feature is supposed to do, or for whom it is a good thing.
    MFP meekly reports their plans: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/26953529858317-Retiring-the-Newsfeed-feature-by-the-end-of-June-2024

That is because it isn't a good thing. It makes interacting with friends far more cumbersome. I realize it likely makes putting targeted advertising on their platform easier, but I have already started looking for an alternative. I am not happy with what I have found in terms of interacting with friends as most have that as a paid feature, but the food logging seems better on some of them. I actually like chronometer, but it is one where interacting with friends needs the "Gold" program which I would have to pay for.

I will see if MFP actually follow through with removing the newsfeed, and whether MFP is usable for interacting with friends following that removal if/when they do it. I am guessing that the new "features" meant to replace it will be as buggy and problematic as most things here.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Activity has to have a button on the app where newsfeed used to be.

Asking users to type in URLs, in 2024, is insane. Most browsers are very actively trying to prevent users from even seeing or having access to an address field.

There must be an friends activity aggregate somehow, so I can click on @Nova or @Lietchi or @Betty in my "activity" area and in one click see their activity and one click to the next "Friend".

Two or three clicks (or for heaven sake typing a URL) to go from one friend's activity feed to another is simply broken.

Lastly it's ridiculous to suggest MFP groups as a replacement. It's five clicks to get anywhere for a single interaction, and 99% of all group content is stale. Five clicks to a deadend, and then another five clicks? Nope. Sort and filter has to exist (it is 2024) to have Groups have any value (it is necessary but not sufficient, as groups are really very broken)