adoption???

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I would like to put out some advice for adoptive parents. If at all possible, don't begrudge your child from finding out who his/her biological family is. My older brother's adoptive mom would go into fits of hysterical crying whenever he tried to talk about his biological family. And when he finally did find us (adoption records were sealed in the state he was born in so we would not have been able to find him without a very expensive private detective), his adoptive mother always hated it. She would try to guilt him a lot, so he started hiding it from her. We weren't allowed to call him at home. (He was in college and 21.) He never got to share his experience of knowing us and feeling like he finally belonged with his own mother, all because she couldn't handle the fact that he wanted to know. (his words, not mine)

So that's my advice...support your adopted child in whatever he/she wants to know. Some kids don't want to know. My brother's adopted sister wanted absolutely nothing to do with her biological mom.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    my adoption is a little different. Story goes..... Guy sees girl, guy ogles girl who only tagged along to watch her brother play some touch football. Guy asks girl out. He was a friend of her brothers and I suppose she thought he was nice looking. They went out, they got pregnant with me, got married. He eventually started hitting her. When they went to Hawaii to visit his family, he decided to stay an extra week, while she went home to get back to work. During that week, she realized she was over the abuse and was more afraid he might start beating me, so she left him when he got back with me. He tried to kdinap me one or twice, but she outsmarted him. He didn't want me anyway, he wanted to take me to get her back. When that didn't work he flew home to Hawaii. Meanwhile, my mom met and fell in love with this great guy who also had a daughter a few months older. I was 1, she was almost 2. They married and started a life together. As a small child, my dad always wanted to be more than a "blended" family. He wanted me to feel like I belonged. They tried several times to adopt me, but due to legal issues and more importantly financial issues, they could not, but he was and always will be my daddy. Fastforward a LOT, to one week after my 18th birthday. We were in the judges chambers getting the adoption finalized, just in time for my graduation, so we could "really" be a real family. (All my life, I tried using his last name for school and was always told I was not allowed, but he was MY dad and my WHOLE family shared the same last name...) But, for graduation, I got to sit next to my sister. And, that was what our parents wanted the most. To see their girls graduate together.

ETA: My father is now in my life again. We've made amends and he has been clean and sober for 15+ years. He regrets every single day the pain he caused my mom, losing her, losing me. But, he and I are now on good terms and my family just keeps growing.

Love this story!
  • pricetm83
    Options
    My sister was born in 1978, the same year they passed the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978 "ICWA helps keep American Indian children with American Indian families." My sister is Creek Indian and very much looks it. I am very much Caucasian as they get, as well as my adoptive parents. Did that contribute to my sister feeling different? Back then I didn't think so, but hindsight and all that. I do believe it made it hard on her sometimes to look so different than the rest of us. It was always obvious she was not born into the family, but I could pass easily. After she met her birth dad a few years ago, she filed for and got her role number with the tribe. She is finally at peace with who she is. My suggestion, which comes only from my own experiences, is if you decide to adopt interracially, make sure that child gets as much culture and experience from their race as is possible for you to provide.

Yes, that's something I have thought might be helpful... luckily I live in a very diverse area, and I have friends of all different backgrounds! I would definitely try to help my (hypothetical) child embrace his/her culture as much as possible :)

I LOVE that you are so open to adopting outside of your own racial background. I am actually a family law lawyer that has helped facilitate quite a few adoptions (including interracial ones) and it always warms my heart to see love that is truly colorblind.
    I am actually bi-racial myself (my mother is Jewish and my father is Black) and always had a hard time understanding when people asked me questions like "does your mom know how to do your hair?" Luckily though I am from a big, diverse city (Chicago) so I didn't run into a whole lot of behavior like this.
    I think the most important thing is to love the *kitten* out of that child and make sure to expose them, and yourselves, to as MANY cultures as possible.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, I have a funny story too.

My sister was maybe a year, year and a half. She was very dark as a baby, half Creek Indian. My mother is Swedish, so very pale. She was at the store one day, along with my grandma. Some random person came up to admire my sister. She said to my mother, she is so cute, is her father Indian? My mother looks at her and says, I don't really know what he is, and walks away. My grandma said that woman's jaw hit the floor and only later did my mom realize quite how it sounded. :embarassed:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I am adopted by my maternal grandparents and I am thankful that they did it. My bio mom did not turn out that great and I know that had I lived with her, I probably would not have the life that i have now. Also at 13 i was raped and became pregnant, I knew that I was too young to raise a baby so I asked my aunt and uncle to adopt her. She is now 12 years old and is doing awesome. She has the life that i would not have been able to give her at the time.

I am SO sorry to hear this for you, but am so happy for he doing so well. Hugs, sweetie!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of adopting someday instead of having my own... I don't care to go through childbirth and have the 'omg...he/she looks just like you!!" I'm more interested in making a difference in a child's life that might not have had a chance otherwise. There are SO many homeless children in the world, it makes me sad. And I don't feel the need to reproduce and increase our already overpopulated world (only when my hormones kick in occasionally, lol- but I kick them back ;))
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I am adopted. I was placed when I was a couple of months old. My adoptive family is great.... much much different than I am but a great family. I had everything I ever wanted or needed and I knew from a very early age that I was adopted. Thanks to cabbage patch dolls. lol.
    I found my biological family 2 years ago and discovered they had actually gotten married a few years after I was born and I have a sister. That was freaky! Getting to know them has been amazing. My sister and I are into the same things, laugh the same, look the same. I tell ya... as someone who was always the odd man out with their family... this is a weird thing to get used to! But I love it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying reading all of the personal experiences people are sharing. There are some amazing stories. And it just reinforces my belief that it can be so very different for everyone and that you really have to do the best you know how and just hope everything works out along the way. Thank you everyone that has shared your stories.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    my adoption is a little different. Story goes..... Guy sees girl, guy ogles girl who only tagged along to watch her brother play some touch football. Guy asks girl out. He was a friend of her brothers and I suppose she thought he was nice looking. They went out, they got pregnant with me, got married. He eventually started hitting her. When they went to Hawaii to visit his family, he decided to stay an extra week, while she went home to get back to work. During that week, she realized she was over the abuse and was more afraid he might start beating me, so she left him when he got back with me. He tried to kdinap me one or twice, but she outsmarted him. He didn't want me anyway, he wanted to take me to get her back. When that didn't work he flew home to Hawaii. Meanwhile, my mom met and fell in love with this great guy who also had a daughter a few months older. I was 1, she was almost 2. They married and started a life together. As a small child, my dad always wanted to be more than a "blended" family. He wanted me to feel like I belonged. They tried several times to adopt me, but due to legal issues and more importantly financial issues, they could not, but he was and always will be my daddy. Fastforward a LOT, to one week after my 18th birthday. We were in the judges chambers getting the adoption finalized, just in time for my graduation, so we could "really" be a real family. (All my life, I tried using his last name for school and was always told I was not allowed, but he was MY dad and my WHOLE family shared the same last name...) But, for graduation, I got to sit next to my sister. And, that was what our parents wanted the most. To see their girls graduate together.

ETA: My father is now in my life again. We've made amends and he has been clean and sober for 15+ years. He regrets every single day the pain he caused my mom, losing her, losing me. But, he and I are now on good terms and my family just keeps growing.

Bry - your story brought tears to my eyes. *hugs*
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    This is painful to share, but if it can help someone, I will share. I was raped when I was 18 and subsequently had an abortion. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about what I did and how horrible it was. If only I had had the courage to face my parents and the consequences, that child could have had a chance.

I adopted a little girl from Russia 2 years ago and she is the love of my life. She is 8 now and was put in the orphanage when she was 6. She took care of her baby sister, Katia because her mother and aunt were drunk all the time. She tried to do her best, but the baby died in her arms of malnutrition. She thinks about her family in Russia a lot, but she is grateful she has a home with us and a chance at life. I feel blessed to have had another chance to save a life and give her an opportunity for a good life with lots of love. Would I ever want her to see her mother again? Yes, if she wanted to. I'd love to show her what a beautiful girl she turned out to be and thank her in person for this gift.

you are more and more wonderful every single day. That moved me to tears. Love you!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    This is painful to share, but if it can help someone, I will share. I was raped when I was 18 and subsequently had an abortion. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about what I did and how horrible it was. If only I had had the courage to face my parents and the consequences, that child could have had a chance.

I adopted a little girl from Russia 2 years ago and she is the love of my life. She is 8 now and was put in the orphanage when she was 6. She took care of her baby sister, Katia because her mother and aunt were drunk all the time. She tried to do her best, but the baby died in her arms of malnutrition. She thinks about her family in Russia a lot, but she is grateful she has a home with us and a chance at life. I feel blessed to have had another chance to save a life and give her an opportunity for a good life with lots of love. Would I ever want her to see her mother again? Yes, if she wanted to. I'd love to show her what a beautiful girl she turned out to be and thank her in person for this gift.

This made me get a few tears in my eyes. Thanks for sharing. You did a wonderful thing by saving your daughters life. Focus on that and live each day knowing that she has the best life because you opened your home to her and gave her everything she needs.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    <---- wants to adopt! :heart:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I plan on adopting. The last time I was in the Dominican Republic there was a cute 22 year old....

Seriously I do plan to adopt. I can't imagine having the means to do it and not doing it. I have several friends that were adopted and I just think they wouldn't be a part of my life has their families not made that decision. Plus I want my son to have a sibling.

Oh and you dont have to have religious or political reasons to have an opinion. I hate religion and politics and I can still think something is just 'wrong'. OP maybe for the 'sensitive' you can rephrase it as - abortion was the wrong decision for her. Make everyone poop rainbows.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thank you for this topic. I've thought a lot about adoption but had mixed feelings about it. I know that my mom was raped at 21 and became pregnant. She gave birth to a girl whom she put up for adoption. My mom has no idea that I know about my older sister or what happened. My dad told me about it when I was about 16-17. He only told me because my mom was super depressed one night and I was worried about her. Since then I've always wanted to find her but I don't know if she knows that she was adopted and I don't know any of the details about it. My husband also has 2 older brothers. The oldest was adopted. He knew he was adopted and as a teen had a horrible relationship with their dad. He found his birth mom about 10 years ago and has since severed all ties with our family. My mother-in-law is heart-broken over this. Because of the bad experiences of the people in my life I've had mixed feelings about adopting a child of my own and I don't know how my husband would take it. Reading these stories though has made me want to research adopting a child and talk with my husband about it to see how he feels. We're slowly starting to get back on our feet after taking multiple hits in the down economy over the last couple of years but at least I can research it and be better prepared for what might be.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    To everyone who read/commented on my topic: It was not my intention to offend any of you by making any "political" or "religious" references. I was simply retelling a unique and amazing conversation I had with someone.
    It was not my intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Like I said on the post, I was a product of rape and am very thankful to my birth mother for choosing to keep me. (during those days, especially in Uganda, abortion just simply was not an option, for which I am personally thankful for since I possibly would not be alive if it had been).
    For those of you who shared your personal stories, thank you! It is amazing to me how we are all so different and how many wonderful people there are out there who have made the decision to adopt! to all you adoptive parents, and especially to my own: THANK YOU!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I so badly want to adopt my future children. I would love to foster-to-adopt some siblings if possible. For whatever reason, I know that I will be adopting older kids, not babies.

I have really enjoyed reading these adoption stories!

My only experience with adoption is that I have several cousins that are adopted (closed) because infertility runs in my family unfortunately. When I first learned what adoption was from one of my cousins when I was about 6, I immediately wanted to some day be an adoptive parent.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I was adopted at 1 month old by my parents, who are, btw, the best parents in the world. :bigsmile: They aren't my adoptive parents. They are my parents. I also have a brother, 2 years older than me, who was adopted as well (different biological parents).

When I was 29, my son was born. I looked at him and realized that he was the only person in the world that I knew that had my blood. The only one with DNA like mine that I knew. That brewed in me for a few years until one day, I called my mom and told her that I wanted to search for my biological family. She said, "Give me 30 minutes, I'll be right over." She went into her closet and got out the file that she had kept for decades. It had everything that she had learned about me from the adoption agency. It even included the used envelope that she grabbed to jot notes on when the adoption agency called and told her they had a beautiful baby girl for my mom and dad to pick up the next day.

I set about on my search but I did it with open eyes and open heart. I saw so many "failed" reunions and adoptees searching for reason that, to me, seemed ill-fated. I even saw one adoptee who was trying to get DNA from a Hilton (as in Paris) family member, because he was convinced he looked like that family and wanted to cash in on the name. Tsk tsk. I saw adoptees who searched because they thought it would give them answers to everything. They thought they would be accepted and finally find some piece of themselves to make them whole. I saw many of those adoptees crushed when they were refused a meeting and their existence denied. I saw a lot of heartbreak.

I searched with the knowledge that I might not find anybody, that I might find someone who wasn't who I might have put together in my mind, that I might be rejected. I took the search on as a journey to be experienced (same as my weight loss). I was also *very* careful in my search, for it was my #1 rule to not disrupt the lives of any of my birth family if they so chose. I did *not* have an open adoption. For all I knew, I could find a birth mother who never told anyone that I existed.

I used a lot of ingenuity and little bit of dishonesty (unavoidable) to search. What did I find? I found that birth mother who never told anyone that I existed. But it wasn't a bad ending. By the time I found my birth family, both my birth mother and birth father were deceased. I never got to meet them. But I found 6 (yes, 6) half siblings. I was my birth mother's 7th child. By some twist of fate, when one of my 1/2 brothers was 16, he saw my birth mother pregnant with me, when she said she was going away "on a business trip." That 1/2 brother told his brothers and sisters, for decades, that there was a 7th child. All 6 of them grilled my birth mother for decades. She denied my existence. But they knew.

So when I placed the phone call to one of them (ironically, out of the 6, the first one I called was the one who had seen my birth mother pregnant, the one who *knew*), and I was able to stammer out that I believed we were siblings, I was met with a moment of silence and then the magical words: "We've been waiting for this phone call for a long time."

So I've had a good ending, though I didn't search with the expectation that I would. My 1/2 siblings and I have maintained some relationships. We have agreed that it was good fate that I didn't find their mother while she was still alive. It would have been incredible difficult on her and me. I believe that she, in some form, blocked my existence out of her head. If I had showed up, it might have broken her. I wouldn't have wanted to do that.

I was, a few years ago, fortunate enough to meet my birth mother's sister. While she didn't know about me before, she also welcomed me with open arms. Aunt Irene is deceased now, but I treasure the afternoon I spent with her. She was able to give me a side of my birth mother that my 1/2 siblings couldn't.

And I know this is long and thanks for sticking through it all the way, but I have one more thing to mention...I have a very square jaw. I always hated it. But when I would walk down the street in New York City (where I was adopted from), I would search faces, looking for square jaws. When I saw one, I would wonder, could it be? Who looks like me? This picture beloew is me and Aunt Irene when I met her in 2007. It brings tears to my eyes to this day. Our jaw, and our beady little eyes, and our mouth, and our smile. We look so much alike.

20071021IreneSusan4.jpg

In the end, what I want to say that is most important of all is that while feelings about adoption are very personal things, I find it relevant to share my story carefully when the opportunity arises. My story is a fairy tale compared to 99% of most adoptees' stories. I believe that, in the case of closed adoptions, it is the adoptees' right to search and find. But, equally, it is the adoptees' obligation to search and find in a responsible manner so as to not disrupt the lives of those who may have left that part of themselves behind a long time ago. And I believe it is the adoptees' moral obligation to walk quietly and permanently away from any birth family member who says no to them.

I welcome questions from anyone who wants to pose them. I can also assist with any adoptee's search if the adoption took place in one of the 5 boroughs of New York.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Both of my siblings were adopted. I was the surprise baby that came last. My parents adopted my brother and sister back in the 70s when all adoptions were private and records remained sealed until the child turned 18, at which point they hire an intermediary through the court and pay some money to access the records. I am personally not an advocate of open adoptions. I think it can open the door to potential confusion and resentment. But I understand that this is a popular option nowadays and seems to work for many.

My parents educated my siblings about their adopted status the best way they knew how. Predicting how a child will process and accept their history isn't always possible. My brother has never taken it well and is not comfortable discussing it. My sister never said too much about it until she was in her 20s, then found her birth mother and eventually met her entire birth family, minus one sister who was not interested in meeting her. When I told my brother that my sister was meeting her birth mother/family, he couldn't understand why she wanted to. We met her birth mother and became friends with her, and she began coming to my sister's kids' birthday parties. Since she never had any other children besides my sister, it was a true blessing for her to be welcomed to her biological grandchildren's life events. My parents were fine with it.

Adoption is a wonderful option for parents who cannot conceive. I've often thought of adopting instead of ever conceiving my own children, simply because there are so many kids in the world who need homes and loving parents.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Pangea250 - that made me cry, but in a good way. Thanks.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I was adopted at 1 month old by my parents, who are, btw, the best parents in the world. :bigsmile: They aren't my adoptive parents. They are my parents. I also have a brother, 2 years old than me, who was adopted as well (different biological parents).

When I was 29, my son was born. I looked at him and realized that he was the only person in the world that I knew that had my blood. The only one with DNA like mine that I knew. That brewed in me for a few years until one day, I called my mom and told her that I wanted to search for my biological family. She said, "Give me 30 minutes, I'll be right over." She went into her closet and got out the file that she had kept for decades. It had everything that she had learned about me from the adoption agency. It even included the used envelope that she grabbed to jot notes on when the adoption agency called and told her they had a beautiful baby girl for my mom and dad to pick up the next day.

I set about on my search but I did it with open eyes and open heart. I saw so many "failed" reunions and adoptees searching for reason that, to me, seemed ill-fated. I even saw one adoptee who was trying to get DNA from a Hilton (as in Paris) family member, because he was convinced he looked like that family and wanted to cash in on the name. Tsk tsk. I saw adoptees who searched because they thought it would give the answers to everything. They thought they would be accepted and finally find some piece of themselves to make them whole. I saw many of those adoptees crushed when they were refused a meeting and their existence denied. I saw a lot of heartbreak.

I searched with the knowledge that I might not find anybody, that I might find someone who wasn't who I might have put together in my mind, that I might be rejected. I took the search on as a journey to be experienced (same as my weight loss). I was also *very* careful in my search, for it was my #1 rule to not disrupt the lives of any of my birth family if they so chose. I did *not* have an open adoption. For all I knew, I could find a birth mother who never told anyone that I existed.

I used a lot of ingenuity and little bit of dishonesty (unaviodable) to search. What did I find? I found that birth mother who never told anyone that I existed. But it wasn't a bad ending. By the time I found my birth family, both my birth mother and birth father were deceased. I never got to meet them. But I found 6 (yes, 8) half siblings. I was my birth mother's 7th child. By some twist of fate, when one of my 1/2 brothers was 16, he saw my birth mother pregnant with me, when she said she was going away "on a business trip." That 1/2 brother told his brothers and sisters, for decades, that there was a 7th child. All 6 of them grilled my birth mother for decades. She denied my existence. But they knew.

So when I placed the phone to one of them (ironically, out of the 6, the first one I called was the one who had seen my birth mother pregnant, the one who *knew*), and I was able to stammer out that I believed we were siblings, I was met with a moment of silence and then the magical words: "We've been waiting for this phone call for a long time."

So I've had a good ending, though I didn't search with the expectation that I would. My 1/2 siblings and I have maintained some relationships. We have agreed that it was good fate that I didn't find their mother while she was still alive. It would have been incredible difficult on her and me. I believe that the, in some form, blocked my existence out of her head. If I had showed up, it might have broken her. I wouldn't have wanted to do that.

I was, a few years ago, fortunate enough to meet my birth mother's sister. While she didn't know about me before, she also welcomed me with open arms. Aunt Irene is deceased now, but I treasure the afternoon I spent with her. She was able to give me a side of my birth mother that my 1/2 siblings couldn't.

And I know this is long and thanks for sticking through it all the way, but I have one more thing to mention...I have a very square jaw. I always hated it. But when I would walk down the street in New York City (where I was adopted from), I would search faces, looking for square jaws. When I saw one, I would wonder, could it be? Who looks like me? This is me and Aunt Irene when I met her in 2007. It brings tears to my eyes to this day. Our jaw, and our beady little eyes, and our mouth and our smile. We look so much alike.

20071021IreneSusan4.jpg

In the end, what I want to say that is most important of all is that while feelings about adoption are very personal things, I find it relevant to share my story carefully when the opportunity arrises. My story is a fairy tale compared to 99% of most adoptees' stories. I believe that, in the case of closed adoptions, it is the adoptees' right to search and find. But, equally, it is the adoptees' obligation to search and find in a responsible matter so as to not disrupt the lives of those who may have left that part of themselves behind a long time ago. And I believe it is the adoptees' moral obligation to walk quietly and permanently away from any birth family member who says no to them.

this is beautiful! and the feelings that you had when you held your son, I can relate 100%!!! just knowing that there is someone who has your blood and your dna is an incredible feeling, isn't it? when I held my son (he just turned 2), it was so healing for me! I have a wonderful relationship with my parents and my mother knew how healing it was for me to hold my son. I was fostered by my parents until I was 16 (Ugandan law) and then I was allowed to legally be adopted. due to being older when i was fostere/adopted I always knew I was adopted and my sister (not biological, but als from Uganda), didn't look like our parents. I am so glad you got to meet your family! One day I may search for my biological father, but if I never do, it's quite alright :) thank you for sharing your story; I loved it!