Let's see how it goes! Testing the "If everyday were like this..." calculation.

Options
2»

Replies

• Hungry_catapillar
    Hungry_catapillar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It’s never worked for me but I’m interested to see if it was accurate for others🧐
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    It was never accurate for me, but it was amusing, and encouraging/discouraging at the same time.

It was like opening a fortune cookie with a really great fortune, but knowing the recommended lottery number was a waste of a buck.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    nb6397 wrote: »
    It did work for me in the initial months but doesn't take into account the plateau which is bound to occur. If already on a significant deficit, the only way to reach those goals is increasing steps/activity.

Waiting to hear how it works for you!

LOL no it doesn’t.
    My weight here on MFP is still sitting right where it was when I hit a long plateau and became demotivated.

I know how much I weighed two weeks ago.
    But I’m not gonna tell MFP until I finally get past that (redacted) number.
    I wish mfp would ditch that "motivator." It's not accurate for all of the reasons stated above. And, if you are trying to lose .5 a pound per week, it's demoralizing. In order for me to see any noticeable difference in my body, it's going to be literally months of work. That's fine with me because I need to keep this up after I lose the weight. But my weight loss in five weeks will be negligible and not make a bit of difference in how my clothes fit. Just close the diary and get a message that says, "Today is over. Did you do your best? Make tomorrow a good day!" or something like that :expressionless:

Spark People had something similar to that.
    I think it’s a much better idea than the generic guestimate.

One thing I think they should keep is the warning when you’re too low. I get that sometimes, because my TDEE is unusually low due to my mobility issues.

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Okay......now you have me curious so I'm going to try it too and see what happens 😆
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    @daveloan

There's an exercise in the CARDIO section for lifting weights that gives a reasonable burn estimate if you're interested.

Another thing you can try if you use spreadsheets is to record your daily calorie allowance, your intake, and your burn. You can then apply the estimate of 3500 calories per pound gained/lost.

Track that over time. See if you gain/lose the amount that you calculate.

If you do, then the assumptions are correct. If not, you can apply a "correction factor" to your daily calorie log or just adjust your goal a bit. The goal will change over time if you lose weight because it takes less energy to move yourself around when there's less of you. It's an experiment you can continue indefinitely to keep fine tuning your goal to your current weight and fitness level.