question!! chocolate milk

Options
13»

Replies

• lindsay6694
    Options
    blue diamond makes an unsweetened chocolate almond milk. i use it for my protein shakes with my chocolate protein power. so yummy
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    you can just make your own syrup!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://smallnotebook.org/2009/07/10/homemade-chocolate-syrup/ you can adjust it any way you want....and just ;mix with milk and protein powder or whatever
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Can one simply have a small amount of normal chocolate milk instead (full cream, sugar), or perhaps, plain milk?

Edit: Also, when you quote posts that contain quotes, if you delete all but the sentences that are relevant to your reply, it will make reading the thread a looooooot easier.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    i ve seen around alot of forums that chocolate milk is great as a recovery drink. for some reason i cant find one with low sugar or without corn syrup. and when i do its crazy expensive . so my question is can i just mix milk and unsweeten cocoa powder ? what would the ratio be?

I get Hood calorie countdown chocolate milk. seems to do the trick
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate milk after a workout. Don't like the taste of most commercially available sports drinks and they're expensive. Really, you're just trying to give your body something to burn instead of muscle after you've used up all your reserve carbs. So the natural sugars in the milk and the sugar in the chocolate get burned. The milk has the protein that is needed for your muscles to start to recover. I need something after a hard workout or my blood sugar gets low and I get all jittery.

Really, try it and see how you feel. But I wouldn't recommend using unsweetened cocoa powder - yuck.
  • kailyamie
    Options
    I have personally never heard of this principal - but I will say that 1/2 of a packet of Carnation instant breakfast powder in a glass of fat-free milk is delicious. It has kinda high sugar, which is why I only ever use 1/2 a packet but too much more than that and it's a little overpowering anyway :) As far as the research everyone is arguing over - you can find "research" and studies to back up pretty much any opinion, ultimately you have to decide what works best for YOU because everyone is ultimately different and what works for someone might not work for you! Good luck :)
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options

taste like Ensure....which is what I had to drink when I had my mouth wired shut for 6 weeks when I was 16....as soon as I took a drink the memory of that time in my life came flooding back!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Milk is great for baby cows. I don't think anyone can honestly claim adult humans need it.

I like what it tastes like, but I don't think we should ideally have it. It's for baby cows. And it has no iron in. Not a complete food by any means. That's why babies need to start on solids at 6 months, they have depleted their birth iron around then.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Ps. I think chocolate milk is disgusting. I like milk in cereal and tea, not to drink.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use No Sugar Added Nestle Quik
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Milk is great for baby cows. I don't think anyone can honestly claim adult humans need it.

I like what it tastes like, but I don't think we should ideally have it. It's for baby cows. And it has no iron in. Not a complete food by any means. That's why babies need to start on solids at 6 months, they have depleted their birth iron around then.

I completely agree with this. I didn't drink milk for years. I've since added one cup a day as a way to add plant sterols to my diet (I buy milk with sterols added).
  • bcattoes
    Options
    FYI The most perfect food is milk it has everything in it the will make your body survive. If you could only choose one food to live on forever it would be milk.

Huh?? Milk has no/little of many necessary vitamins.
  • Jolenebib
    Options

Sorry, This isn't true. Babies get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up to 7 months. Yes they have stores that have been depleted, but they are getting iron from breast milk - quite efficiently actually, with a 50% absorption rate. http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/Iron.htm

Cow's milk does have iron in it, our bodies are just not made to absorb it efficiently, meaning its not enough to make a difference.
  • Jolenebib
    Options
    FYI The most perfect food is milk it has everything in it the will make your body survive. If you could only choose one food to live on forever it would be milk.

Google "nutrients in milk"...
  • bcattoes
    Options

Google "nutrients in milk"...

Okey doke. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

It has NO vitamin C at all and very small amounts of Iron, vitamins E, and K. Since it also contains 49 g of sugar per quart, to drink enough to get the RDA of most of the nutrients it does contain you'd likely risk insulin problems.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Joe - I have learned that, especially when it comes to nutrition, you can find a study that will tell you anything you want to hear about anything. I have also learned specifically to distrust any that are put out by the government (this is what led to the infamous food pyramids which were promoted by the government and funded by farmers).

But, a recovery drink still needs to be a low density, quickly absorbed beverage. I do not argue that milk is good for you - but it cannot be a recovery drink because it is too dense. If you drink it, you will definitely get the health benefits, long term or short term. So go for it if you want to.
    It's great that you're so honest!

Since you trumpet that you intentionally limit your knowledge and understanding of this topic, folks with critical thinking skills will be more wary of everything that you write.

Thank you.