Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Which foods are worth buying organic vs. which does it not really make a difference, and why?

Options
bendavidparks
bendavidparks Posts: 1 Member
I know some foods have peels, shells, husks, etc. that might absorb or repel the harmful substances that are not present in organic farming. For example, white rice is 10x as expensive to buy organic. What is the benefit?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm posting this to answer your question, not as an endorsement of the general idea or even the specific site (caveat emptor): The Environmental Working Group publishes annual lists of the "Clean 15" and "Dirty Dozen" foods for the US, the foods they claim have the least and most pesticide residue respectively (oversimplifying a little when I say that). Learn more here:

https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean-fifteen.php

If you're not in the US, I don't know whether that's helpful, but you didn't say.

Generally, I agree with some of the other folks:

Getting an appropriate amount of veggies and fruits, organic or not, is more important health-wise than whether the foods are organically grown. I agree with ccrdragon about that.

I do buy organic veggies/fruits frequently, or foods grown locally in an organic-ish way but without official organic certification (certification is expensive). For me, that's more about the kind of thing neanderthin mentioned, e.g., sustainable practices, stewardship of the soil, more limited range of pesticides/fertilizers used that may cause issues for pollinators and other critters/bugs, etc.

I do buy and eat non-organic foods sometimes, too. It's not a strict religious-esque thing for me.

YMMV.

Answers

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think you already identified the benefit of the elimination of harmful pesticides etc. I don't want to put those things into my body. Not only should you buy organic when your budget allows but also avoid GMO foods. Genetically modified foods should be avoided if you are btrying nto eat clean and as close to how the food was intended to begin with. Just my opinion and how I choose to eat.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I think you already identified the benefit of the elimination of harmful pesticides etc. I don't want to put those things into my body. Not only should you buy organic when your budget allows but also avoid GMO foods. Genetically modified foods should be avoided if you are btrying nto eat clean and as close to how the food was intended to begin with. Just my opinion and how I choose to eat.

It is your choice and your budget, but there is no scientific justification for avoiding GMO's or for eating organic produce.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    I generally get my food locally and seasonally for the most part and I support my local farmers who practice responsible and sustainable farming and crop rotation using natural fertilizers etc. Organic farming can lead to soil that supports plants with higher micronutrient and phytochemical content which gets taken up by the plants and then we consume those plants. As far as whether those farmers are labelled "organic" is more business driven and to me it makes no difference but I understand that a few of my regular farmers are also bigger retailers of produce and compete in a market that requires organic for them to have a change to compete, people like labels and easy rules to follow.

Sustainability and a little love goes a long way for me, but I'm rural and in the thick of it, so it's easier to make this a reality. Local meats like beef, lamb, pork, goat and chickens, the same applies. Interesting enough I have to procure venison from New Zealand which is organic and range fed like most livestock from down under, can't finds a local or Ontario supplier and we sell a lot of venison.