Zepbound as a result of my bloodwork & my disability

mwright5806
mwright5806 Posts: 20 Member
I started on May 11, 2024. My doctor was concerned about my BMI and my weight She put me on 2.5 Zepbound, along with a low-cal diet, and try to increase my exercise as able. I have Modic type 1 endplate changes to my endplates in my spine. It's very painful! I had multiple surgeries in 2023, but my Neurosurgeon said there is nothing more he can do, the risks far outweigh the benefits. I have gained weight from being practically immobile for a year now. I stretch every day, some things I can't do, but I have a health coach and I work with a Physical Therapist to adjust my exercises when needed.

I had my first dose on Monday, 5/14/24 and I have followed the low-cal diet and not hungry at all. I feel fatigued but am increasing my protein and electrolytes. I am excited to walk (I use a walker because my Modic Type 1 changes cause me to randomly fall).. Anyway, I am excited and motivated and staying very positive! I am only 60 years old!

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited May 14
    Welcome to MFP!

I also am mobility restricted.

If you want a friend who gets it, feel free to add me.

There’s also a group here for discussion about disability as it relates to weight and diet.

One thing that I have learned is that because I typically don’t get many steps in, it actually affects my calorie count.

So I have my goal set relatively low for someone of my height and weight.

One recommendation I have is if at all possible, consider getting a NuStep for home exercise. You mentioned working with physical therapy. Most physical therapy offices have a NuStep so you might already be familiar with them.
    Discuss it with your therapist.

We have one in our living room. Had to get rid of one couch but it was so worth it.
    My husband has dementia and using the NuStep dropped his insulin use in half.

I have a balance disorder and neuropathy so walking is not exactly safe for me. And most typical exercises and equipment are downright dangerous.

But I can fly on our NuStep.

Check out their website. They do take interest free payments. It took us about two years to pay it off. They are not cheap.

But seriously. We love ours. And being able to really truly safely do cardio any time of day is a real game changer for me.

You might want to join other people here.
    It’s slow. But a helpful group as we are all struggling with a disability that makes fitness and weight management a bit more challenging.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-chronic-illness-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this
  • mwright5806
    Thank you so very much. I will look at the link and join the community. I really appreciate the encouragement.
  • mwright5806
    edited May 15
    Hi Margaret, I just sent you a invite to add as a friend.
  • LCantrell
    LCantrell Posts: 79 Member
    Hi there, I am in a similar situation, degenerative disc disease in low back and fibromyalgia. Also issues with my right foot. So I am unable to be active like I want to. Waiting for an appointment for a trial spinal cord stimulator. I just started on the 2.5 mg. of Zepbound on May 5th as well. Trying to increase my protein as that was low in my labwork. I do stretches but am thinking of trying chair yoga. At least we are trying to take steps in the right direction!
  • MargaretYakoda
    LCantrell wrote: »
    Hi there, I am in a similar situation, degenerative disc disease in low back and fibromyalgia. Also issues with my right foot. So I am unable to be active like I want to. Waiting for an appointment for a trial spinal cord stimulator. I just started on the 2.5 mg. of Zepbound on May 5th as well. Trying to increase my protein as that was low in my labwork. I do stretches but am thinking of trying chair yoga. At least we are trying to take steps in the right direction!

Please consider yourself invited to the group I linked above. The more participants the better it will be.

So many people think disability means they can’t take control of their diet and exercise.

We can. It’s a bit trickier. And some of the considerations are a bit different (for example, “sedentary” assumes 3k steps)
    But it’s definitely possible. And it does help to have friends who understand the struggle.

Send me a request if you want to.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,259 Member
    edited May 16
    Wow, @MargaretYakoda that was a really insightful reply!

Talk to your physical therapist and see if they can recommend any gyms.

My gym is affiliated with a major metro hospital. It started as a cardiac rehab specific gym, expanded to include hospital employees and then opened to the public. It still has a very heavy emphasis on cardiac and other rehab needs. In addition to “regular” cardio, spin and fitness classes, it offers gentle aquafit classes, chair yoga, gentle stretching, meditation, and a series of “FitGen” classes. It even has a special boxing classes, supposed to be beneficial for Parkinson’s patients.

It’s a very mixed clientele, tending towards older, all levels of fitness, from people with partial paralysis in mobility chairs, or on walkers, up to “gym rats”. It also has reserved periods for pool and walking track for private use by residents of the senior high rise in the same cul de sac.

Everyone on staff, including trainers, has at least a Bachelors in physical therapy, exercise science, etc, and most have Masters. The quality of training is superb, and very reasonable. Many of the trainers work with people of limited mobility (they have to have “graduated” from the cardiac rehab gym before qualifying for a private trainer.)

Everything is built for use by all, right down to the emergency pulls in the toilet stalls.

Because everything is so flexible, we have many who can work out or take classes, while their spouse, parent etc take rehab classes. It gives caretakers a break.

You may be lucky enough to have a similar facility near you. Most people in my town don’t even know this place exists, and it’s only $35 a month (!!!)
  • mwright5806
    Hi Everyone, did they do away with us seeing each other's weight loss? I enjoyed encouraging others as well as the positive feedback myself.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,259 Member
    Hi Everyone, did they do away with us seeing each other's weight loss? I enjoyed encouraging others as well as the positive feedback myself.

I think you mean the newsfeed. It was permanently eliminated earlier this month for most of us. I think it’s gone for everyone now. 😢
  • MargaretYakoda

The group is still here. But the newsfeed is gone.