40/40/20 to try to maintain muscle during a cut?

Options
topher347
topher347 Posts: 24 Member
edited May 30 in Health and Weight Loss
39M/5'5/138lbs. Been losing for about 9 months, starting at 220. Currently running a goal of 1775 for calories. Trying to lose the last of the fat before clean bulking on a modest surplus (100-200 cal,) aiming for around 130lbs. I've been lifting this whole time, so I'm trying not to lose any muscle while getting down to goal weight/body fat. I've seen suggestions for a 40p/40c/20f split (178g protein, 178g carbs, 39g fat,) to help maintain the muscle, but sometimes the protein can be a tough one to hit. Can definitely make some dietary adjustments to get there if it's worth it, but wanted some advice on the split first. My diary is public for perusing and friend requests are always welcome :)

Thanks!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    You can check out protein needs in grams, based on research findings, here:

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

That site is generally regarded as neutral, and doesn't sell protein supplements. They sell nutritional/related research summaries, basically, and make some content available for free so people understand what they do. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, other than as a happy user of the site.

Note that the guide mentions that if still significantly overweight, it can make sense to use a lower weight (like goal weight) in the calculator.

In general, it's IMO a good idea to figure out protein and fats minimums in grams, not just look at it from a percents perspective. Calorie needs go up and down depending on activity level (all types of activity). Nutritional minimums/optimums don't necessarily vary linearly with calorie intake, but can vary with goals (weight loss, muscle gain, etc.).
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Don’t use percentages for macros. Protein is between .7 and 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and around .35-.4 grams of fats per lb of bodyweight. For someone very overweight use your target weight instead of current weight for the equation.

Fill in the remainder of your calorie allotment with whatever you want, be it P, F or C
  • topher347
    edited May 30
    Options
    Based on that site result "Intakes of up to 151 grams/day may provide additional benefit, based on limited evidence." Which would be easier to fit than the current 178 I'm on. So if I used bodyweight of 138 x .4 = 55 (per Tom's advice,) I could just fill in the rest as carbs?

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    topher347 wrote: »
    Based on that site result "Intakes of up to 151 grams/day may provide additional benefit, based on limited evidence." Which would be easier to fit than the current 178 I'm on. So if I used bodyweight of 138 x .4 = 55 (per Tom's advice,) I could just fill in the rest as carbs?
    yes

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard that macro spit since the 90's. Lots of lean chicken and broccoli, that's the answer. Just kidding. :#
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 30
    Options

Pretty much what I'd do.

Personally I treat fat and protein goals as minimums, feel OK about it if over on either or both.

Given that, I fill in calories with carbs or occasionally alcohol. I'm told smart people don't drink alcohol, though. ;)

It's not necessary to be exactly exact on all of this every single day, though. Pretty close on average over a few days should be fine.
  • topher347
    Options
    Sounds like a good starting point then. I don't drink myself no so worries there, but I don't mind too much if I go a bit over on protein. I do try to be pretty consistent day to day as much as possible though.
  • topher347
    Options
    Caught my mistake, my diary wasn't set to public, but is now. Any critique or advice on it would be very welcome.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Caught my mistake, my diary wasn't set to public, but is now. Any critique or advice on it would be very welcome.

Honestly, that looks very reasonable to me. You eat very differently than I do (for example, I'm vegetarian), which is not a criticism, just an explanation that there might be something I'm missing because it's so different. As an aside, we're not dramatically different in size (I'm 5'5", mid-130s), but I'm female and decades older (68), FWIW.

Your diary looks more varied and balanced than quite a few I've looked at here over time. You have various protein sources over a few days, you're varying your veggie/fruit choices, things I think are a good idea. With the admission that I only reviewed a few days, it seemed like there was a stronger emphasis on the green/white veg, less of the red/orange/purple kind of thing. Obviously, the color isn't important per se, but variety of color tends to correlate with some variety in micronutrient profiles. That's absolutely a nit-pick! (And maybe I just didn't look at enough days.)

My personal bias - and that's all it is! - is to get as many nutrients as possible from foods, not rely too much on supplements. One of the ways our eating seems to differ is that it looks like a fair fraction of your protein (not the majority) is from supplements. I'm not saying that's bad or wrong, but if you share my bias, there's a thread here that helped me get more of my protein from foods:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Nice work, IMO, in eating in a varied, balanced kind of way!

Caveat: Just my own amateur opinions throughout, though.

• topher347
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Honestly, that looks very reasonable to me. You eat very differently than I do (for example, I'm vegetarian), which is not a criticism, just an explanation that there might be something I'm missing because it's so different. As an aside, we're not dramatically different in size (I'm 5'5", mid-130s), but I'm female and decades older (68), FWIW.

Your diary looks more varied and balanced than quite a few I've looked at here over time. You have various protein sources over a few days, you're varying your veggie/fruit choices, things I think are a good idea. With the admission that I only reviewed a few days, it seemed like there was a stronger emphasis on the green/white veg, less of the red/orange/purple kind of thing. Obviously, the color isn't important per se, but variety of color tends to correlate with some variety in micronutrient profiles. That's absolutely a nit-pick! (And maybe I just didn't look at enough days.)

My personal bias - and that's all it is! - is to get as many nutrients as possible from foods, not rely too much on supplements. One of the ways our eating seems to differ is that it looks like a fair fraction of your protein (not the majority) is from supplements. I'm not saying that's bad or wrong, but if you share my bias, there's a thread here that helped me get more of my protein from foods:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Nice work, IMO, in eating in a varied, balanced kind of way!

Caveat: Just my own amateur opinions throughout, though.

I appreciate the feedback! I am definitely trying to keep some amount of variety. I've always been a pretty simple/picky eater, so am trying to branch into some new things, but some like veggies I've still stuck with the classics for the most part.

I do try not to go too crazy on the powder and shakes for protein, tempting as it is. Sometimes lately it's just been out of convenience, and I do pretty much always have a post workout shake. Chicken tends to be my other go to, but I'm trying to incorporate other sources as well.