vinegar detox

Options
there is so much discussion on adding vinegar to your daily plans. I saw this and may try it: https://skinnyms.com/wprm_print/apple-cider-vinegar-and-cranberry-detox-drink
what is your feeling about vinegar detox?
Tagged:

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,134 Member
    edited June 15
    Options
    For myself only.
    It would taste bad.
    I wouldn't want sugary foods--candy, doughnuts, etc. Because of the sour taste in my mouth. These aren't really my foods of choice or my diet weaknesses(mine are things like cream in my coffee, gravy, etc. Think butter and animal fat) I don't think it would help me.
    I would be nursing a slightly upset stomach much of the day.
    I know some people like vinegar and acid foods. I really believe it's fine for those people to enjoy them. But I'll leave the acv to someone else.

Second thought. It certainly sounds like a weight watchers thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    While detoxes might sound appealing it's better to embark on a healthy lifestyle or continue with one that supports the bodies own detoxification processes which are, no doubt safer and a more effective approach, imo.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the benefits of apple cider vinegar. like this: ACV may reduce your blood sugar response after consuming starchy foods if it's consumed as part of the meal ( a vinegar dressing on pasta salad or a side salad with a vinaigrette. The consumption of ACV caused an overall reduction in total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL, as well as an increase in high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the 'good' cholesterol which carries cholesterol to the liver to be removed from the body. Ingesting around two tablespoons a day, mixed in water, is generally safe for consumption.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    neanderthin, I am working on a healthy lifestyle, but, being older and fully retired makes it hard to loose weight. so, I'm checking many options; not just one only.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to detox, TO? And what do you think would vinegar add to that other than adding more acid to your already acidic stomach, which btw is quite similar to the vinegar. The big difference here is that your teeth generally don't get in contact with your stomach acid and damage the enamel.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the benefits of apple cider vinegar. like this: ACV may reduce your blood sugar response after consuming starchy foods if it's consumed as part of the meal ( a vinegar dressing on pasta salad or a side salad with a vinaigrette. The consumption of ACV caused an overall reduction in total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL, as well as an increase in high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the 'good' cholesterol which carries cholesterol to the liver to be removed from the body. Ingesting around two tablespoons a day, mixed in water, is generally safe for consumption.

this is the study your referring to. https://bmccomplementmedtherapies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12906-021-03351-w

The effect of apple cider vinegar on lipid profiles and glycemic parameters: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials

Please read the discussion and conclusions. While there is some effect, all foods have an effect, just remember that continuous or higher volume amounts can effect teeth, esophagus and stomach.

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 15
    Options

For these types of reasons, i like it in dressings, or soup/sauces, garnishes - as part of an effort to stay healthy with intentional food and movement choices.

However, not straight up or diluted as a drink. Nor to detox. Nah, nope, never, lol
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 733 Member
    Options

this is the study your referring to. https://bmccomplementmedtherapies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12906-021-03351-w

The effect of apple cider vinegar on lipid profiles and glycemic parameters: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials

Please read the discussion and conclusions. While there is some effect, all foods have an effect, just remember that continuous or higher volume amounts can effect teeth, esophagus and stomach.

Hidden behind non-optional stack of cookies.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options

Some of those effects have some evidence behind them, but in my understanding the effects tend to be quite small. Other interventions will have more impact.

The meta-analysis neanderthin linked is IMO a good example. The words say "significantly decreased serum total cholesterol", for example, but the specific statistical numeric value for decrease is 6.06 mg/dL. That decrease would've been barely a blip when my total cholesterol was well over 200 mg/dL - wouldn't have brought the value into the normal range, certainly.

In any of those cases where there is an effect, I haven't seen any evidence that the mechanism of action is "detoxing".

I've gone through periods of weeks at a time where I drank raw ACV daily, and other weeks at a time where I didn't. Like you, I'm retired, and up along a bit in years (now 68F). I saw zero difference in weight loss, appetite, etc., when I was drinking it vs. not drinking it. (For clarity, I wasn't drinking it for the benefits you listed, nor for detox; and personally I do like it, unlike many people.)

I also saw no difference (that exceeded normal variability) in blood tests for cholesterol or triglycerides, but maybe some of the normal variability was in part from the ACV, or maybe the blood tests weren't at the exact intervals to see some effect . . . but I didn't see anything. For sure, no drama.

If you want to try it, I see no harm. It amuses me that people say it's acidic enough to be harmful. Even drunk straight-up, which is what I did, the acidity (pH value) of standardized commercial vinegar is in the same realm, or not as extreme, as many common types of soda pop, flavored bottled tea, sports drinks, etc. (according to an American Dental Association report on those drinks). It does taste more tart, probably because the tartness on the tongue isn't moderated by added sugars or other sweeteners.

To be clear, the acidity values of any of those things can be concerning . . . but most people drinking ACV dilute it, rendering it much less acidic than the common beverages; and most people drinking ACV are downing it fairly quickly, vs. sipping it (bathing teeth and throat in it) over a longer period of time as is common with other acidic beverages.

In general, IMO, the search for "hacks" is a blind alley. The things that work the best, that give the biggest impact, are the relatively boring, patience-requiring interventions we all know about but often find it difficult to commit to consistently Managing calories to reach and stay at a healthy weight, getting good overall nutrition (ideally eating mostly so-called whole foods), getting regular exercise (perhaps a bit right after eating if blood sugar levels are an issue), and that sort of thing.

Personal anecdote: I didn't have high blood sugar, but did have high cholesterol and triglycerides. For me, reaching a healthy weight (at age 59) brought those solidly into the normal range, and has kept them there for almost 9 years. (I actually hit normal values while still technically overweight per BMI value.) Even while fat (class 1 obese BMI), I was already eating a lot of healthy foods (but too much!), and I was already active athletically. I had tried various "hacks" and supplements before committing to weight loss. For me, the weight loss alone seems to have been the key. (This may not be true for people with familial (genetic) hypercholesterolemia, therefore YMMV.)

If high blood sugar (or A1C) are an issue, @MargaretYakoda's suggesting of getting a glucose meter (if you can afford one) is a good one. Different people seem to find that different foods or combinations spike their glucose, i.e., individuals seem to vary. Personal data can be helpful.

Best wishes!
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Vinegar detox doesn't sound good to me, but I love adding oil and vinegar to my salad and sandwiches.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys will take care of all the detox you need.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options

But how will all the companies that make detox supplements, juices, books, etc make money?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options

But how will all the companies that make detox supplements, juices, books, etc make money?

By cross-selling their (whatever) as the only path to losing menopause belly, reversing hypothyroidism naturally, increasing testosterone levels without drugs, losing weight without exercise, etc., ad nauseum. 🙄