How do you control your portion sizes at dinner?

Options
I'm struggling... I have good intentions, but I tend to end up taking too much and feeling stuffed and disappointed with my calorie intake. I know I should measure and weigh at every meal, and most times I do, but I often end up feeling like that takes the joy out of eating. So I'm wondering, how do you deal with portion sizes?

Replies

• IamEric
    Options
    I use a smaller plate.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i use my measureing cup alot 1/2 cup for lots of things.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If on my own, each part of the meal should be the size of a clenched fist, steak maybe a little bigger. If with the bf, my portion is usually half his on a normal sized plate and it still fills me up.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I measure everything I eat. Until I can eyeball what the correct portions are that's what I have to do.

*I did find this to help with estimating though

43971810_i8HtoptU_c.jpg
  • farrellb2
    Options
    There's these cool portion plates online I think if you goggle Portion plates designed they're cute and they give you flowers or whatever on the plates and each flower represents how much of the fruit, veggie, meat you should have
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i have a smaller pretty plate that i like :) or i measure everything out and make my husband watch so i dont cheat
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I sometimes load my plate with the veggies and portion my main meal. I feel more full and I don't feel guilty about eating lots of veggies.
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use a kid's size plate, that way your plate looks full but it is alot smaller portion than when you use a full size plate. It will also amaze you that you will feel satisfied and not overly stuffed. That was a big problem for me. Hope that helped. :happy:
  • KEShikes
    Options
    You need to measure AND use a smaller plate, but take time to make it look nice. Don't look at measuring as a problem...think of it as part of the cooking process.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    measure all my food. Also, try eating a good snack between lunch and dinner. might help you not to eat as much at dinner.

another trick is to drink a large glass of water before you eat.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate.

this

Ever since I have started doing this, it makes it so much easier to control how much I eat.
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also use a smaller plate (a salad plate or one of my children's plates) If I'm out to eat, I ask for a to-go container and pack up half as soon as I get it. If it sits in front of me then I'll keep nibbling on it. All that being said, once it's gone, it's gone. No going back for seconds! Hope this helps! :smile:
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate.

this

Ever since I have started doing this, it makes it so much easier to control how much I eat.

woah! double post >:(
  • TexasMamaTwo
    TexasMamaTwo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like others, I use a smaller plate and I don't use a serving spoon for anything. I use a measuring cup and I usually have my one diet soda a day with my dinner. Even though I know there are no calories in my soda, I feel that I need to justif having that one soda so I watch my portions. I usually end up feeding my one year old off my plate (even though she has her own with the same stuff on it) and that helps me eat a little less!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I literally measure everything. If I'm cooking by myself, I only make enough for one serving which is measured out... if I make dinner for me and my boyfriend, I measure his out first and that usually leaves me with just a little under everything I logged - i,e: 1 cup of rice logged ends up being more like 95% of the measuring cup.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I make sure I drink more water before and while I'm eating and that fills me up. I also have to make sure I eat slower... when I'm starved, I can definitely eat more because I eat a lot faster, and it's amazing if I force myself to slow down while I'm eating (by talking, drinking water, or just making myself take bites a little slower), how much fuller I get before I've eaten too much. That's hard to do, but it actually works and eating is still enjoyable that way!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Weight it or measure it. Get a small kitchen scale, it's the best investment we have made for eating healthy. I weigh and portion any meats before I cook them, pasta and plain rice is almost always a dry (pre-cooked) weight in the nutritional information. For "prepared sides" (read as rice-a-roni, etc.) you have to break out the measuring cups, which is OK.

I don't normally strictly measure vegetables, mostly because I don't slather butter, cheese or sauce on them. We (the wife and I) throw a TBSP of butter into the bag when we steam them, and that's it (and I account for 1/2 TBSP of unsalted butter in my food diary when we do that).

The other thing we do, on most nights, like other posters, we make just what we're going to eat. On the nights when that's not practical, we dish out our plates in the kitchen then eat in the dining room. If the "extra' food isn't right in front of me, I tend to not think I'm still hungry enough for seconds.

The smaller plate idea is a good one, too, by the way.
  • poytheboyDave
    Options
    Since starting at MFP I've begun weighing all my food, and checking packaging for suggested serving sizes. I've begun to see that I used to eat enough for two servings.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I drink water before...and it makes me even hungrier!

I just put the stuff on the tray/in the pan etc, till it looks about right! :)

Then i overestimate the calories in it.

There be method in teh madness! :laugh: