Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ages 70+

Replies

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 404 Member
    Nice today. Just had a shower yesterday and may get some rain today. Did some housework this morning and will do yard work this afternoon.

Enjoy the day.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    Scratchy throat today here—just picked some produce and hung around the house. u6in2aqvf3ko.jpeg
    . Here’s the tugboat. It pushes both barges, sometimes one at a time.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited July 15
    Great picture of the tugboat, made my day! :D

I have an A/C cold. Horrid!

I am going to hang around the house as well.

DH is manning the fort here.
    Another heat wave expected.

Have a healthy day B)
  • Joy1580vb
    Great pic!

jonni hope you get over your cold soon. You need to be healthy for your trip.

Another hot week in the forecast and so not looking forward to that. Will just be doing outside work in the mornings. Time to get out to the garden and see what is happening there.

Enjoy the day.
  • jonni82014
    Feeling much better today. Taking Tylenol and gargling Oil of Oregano for its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
    Went to the Employment Lawyer w/sister (K) yesterday. K has a good case to receive Severance Pay; it's just a matter of when.

Today smoked chicken w/salad.

A Walk in the River Valley. Rest and pick up Euros from travel agent.

Have a healthy day B)
  • oceanmelody
    Another day of resting. I hope this turns around tomorrow!
    Planning a trip to Europe? We are hoping to do that in September.
  • kaynelvb
    kaynelvb Posts: 21 Member
    Good morning, Ladies. I just re-joined MFP yesterday, and this morning found this thread. It started out as someone inquiring about over 70's groups. I have just turned 80, so I was interested, and realized this thread had become just a chit-chat thread. May I join in? I read a few of the posts, and enjoyed what I read. I will check back later.

Kayne
  • jonni82014
    edited July 17
    @kaynelvb Welcome Kayne. We are a small but mighty group.
    @oceanmelody The A/C cold I had left me. It was a few days of a scratchy throat than about 4 days of full blown symptoms. A week. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

We are leaving for 3 weeks.Netherlands, Belgium France, Germany and Luxembourg. The main purpose is to visit our 8 month old grand twins (boy/girl) in Germany. Our hotel is a 10 minute walk from their house. Peace for all. :D

Heat wave is to continue over the next week+. DH waters grass everyday on the City's dime; due to our drainage and water renewal program. Construction due to wrap up in about two weeks. Good to see our tax dollars at work right in our front yard; literally.

Yikes yesterday, tying up the loose ends prepping for our trip. So many small things. Still have other loose ends.

Today off to get lip and eyebrow wax. Due anyway.

Hummus and veg for lunch. Fruit salad for dinner. Keeping it light. Weight still at a plateau.

Have a healthy day. B)

• Joy1580vb
    Welcome to our group, Kayne. Jump in anytime you like as we would love to hear from you.

Another very hot day so staying indoors for the most part. Taking my dogs out occasionally for quick little walks. A/C is running non stop. Have it set at 21C so not too cool. Checked my garden yesterday and everything still looks surprisingly good. Something walked through my 2 corn rows though and broke off a few stalks. I think it was deer and hopefully just passing through.

Enjoy the day.
  • kaynelvb
    Thank you both for your welcome. I will join in from now on. jonni82014, I hope you enjoy Holland and Germany. I was born in Holland, during the last year of the Nazi occupation, but we left there for good when I was 6 and moved to Australia. Then within a year of coming here (1970), my ex was transferred to Germany for three years, so I lived there, too. I was in and around Kaiserslautern for the entire three years. I loved it there, and felt very much at home, probably because of my Dutch background.
    It was too hot to go outside today, so I didn't do much. Walked twice for 15 mins each, inside. We live in extreme northern NH (almost in Canada), and for us anything over 80 is too hot for comfort. We are just not used to it up here. It is really in the "boonies" - we have to drive for 45-50 minutes for the nearest McDonald's. But it is beautiful here, and I don't miss the conveniences (?) of a city any more at all. I love the peace and quiet.
    Thanks for accepting me.
  • voyagerLLY
    voyagerLLY Posts: 4 Member
    Just turned 70 this year -- recovering from medical issues so 30 mins exercise daily is a key element as well as tracking healthier fruits, cruciferous vegetables, few nuts.
  • Joy1580vb
    voyagerLLY Welcome to our little group. So nice to see new members pop in.

Another blistering heat day. Looks like it will continue well into next week. Would be so nice to get some rain but nothing in the forecast so far. No plans for the week. Trying to get out a bit during the mornings to walk with my dogs. Not getting enough exercise though and starting to feel sluggish. I know I need to move more. This heat is taking it's toll.

Enjoy the day.
  • jonni82014
    @voyagerLLY Welcome to our small but mighty group. Nice to have new members drop in.
    @kaynelvb It's my first time going to Europe. Family visit is the most important.

We have extreme heat warnings today. 36.C/98.6F The Humidex is high; of course affecting Air Quality.
    Inside today. Started to determine as to the clothing I am going to take in a carry on. We have Compression garment bags. 1st time using them . I emptied a drawer that contains the some of the tops I am going to take and ended up culling and setting aside tops to donate. Next I empty a drawer that contains the bottoms I am going to take and end up culling and setting aside bottoms to donate. A very good accomplishment. Meaning to do those tasks for quite awhile.

DH has the A/C cold now. We are not glad but glad that he has a week for his recovery.

Today smoked chicken breast w/veg wraps and fruit. I love protein strawberry smoothies for breakfast.
    Leftover smoked chicken for dinner

Have a safe healthy day B)
  • oceanmelody
    Welcome new people! I haven’t been here long myself.
    We would like to visit Benelux too. Have a high school friend I haven’t seen since the 70s.
    Slowly getting better but not enough for real exercising.
  • jonni82014
    Extreme heat.
    Nor am I well enough to exercise; however I continue to be mindful of what I am eating.

Not much going on today. Tour operator has been sending confirmation messages of our 7 day Taste of Europe trip. I feel a bit ignorant as I did not know what Benelux was until I looked it up. Better informed now. I like to obtain more knowledge of people place and things around me.

Smoked chicken wraps w/peaches for lunch. I would love to have a fresh peach. It's been years. Usually,we can hardly wait for our neighbouring province B.C to send fruits such as peaches, nectarines and apples. Climate variances has taken a toll on their crops and our pocketbooks.

There are a few local UPick farms to get blueberries, strawberries and Saskatoons.
    I like rolled oats, chia seeds, blueberries and yogurt for breakfasts.

DH's A/C colds now full blown. Rest, gargle Oil of Oregano and Tylenol. Repeat. He's strong.

Sister (K) visiting to learn all about online banking and to practice email retrieval. She's determined to increase her knowledge of the tech. world. She has retained the Employment Lawyer.

Have a safe, healthy day B)
  • Joy1580vb
    Good morning ladies.

Always look forward to BC fruit but looks like it will be in short supply due to the extreme low temps in January throughout the Okanagan area. Some farmers are taking out all their peach trees and switching to veggies which is a shame.

Not sure what is walking through my garden area at night but whatever it is seems to be now interested in my carrots as a few were dug up. I'm hoping it is not a bear....if it is the whole row will disappear once the carrots get a bit bigger. I think I'm going to cover part of the row with a cover cloth. I have one that is lightweight and used for keeping away insects. It's long enough to protect some of the row and will help if it is a coyote or fox problem. If it's a bear, the bear will just rip it off. The joys of gardening with wildlife!

Hot and hazy today. I think haze is from wildfires further north and into BC.

Enjoy the day.
  • kaynelvb
    I don't have much planned for today, but thank God, the humidity has finally dropped way down for a day or so, I might even be able to get some edging and weeding done in my garden (no veggies, just flowers). I went shopping yesterday, so that is done for the week, unless I forgot something. I probably did, but I got most of what we needed.

I have picked up my knitting again. Started the second sleeve of a sweater I started about 3 years ago, and I ordered some yarn for another one that I will start after this one is finished. Hope they turn out. I also have to see about a blanket for my 3rd great-grandchild, due in September. I'll have to hunt through my patterns and see if I can find anything that is not too difficult, since I am running out of time. My 4th "great" is due in November, so I will have to see what I can do for that one, too. They live in Australia, so I will have to think about the shipping costs as well. Postage overseas is getting to be ridiculously high these day - just as all postage is I suppose.

Not much else happening here. We live rather boring lives, I'm afraid, but we enjoy it, and that's all that matters.

Kayne
  • oceanmelody
    Finally tried a walk—went slower than I would have liked but didn’t want to overdo. Also had a fun time switching beds between two rooms to be better suited for company. Now we have a good space for the granddaughter.
    We live where there is great produce but I am getting sticker shock at fruit prices. Just starting to see peaches. Sounds like cherries did not fare well this year.
    Betty
  • jonni82014
    Good morning

We are both on the mend, from our A/C colds.
    Very hot and hazy here. Smoke from wildfires rolling in. Unfortunate as the City is in the throws of many outdoor festivals for the next few months. Fair, Taste of Edmonton, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Street and Fringe festivals just to name a few. When like to attend all, however this year is a bit different.

Have not had a chance to weed the flower beds. What will be will be.

@kaynelvb your busy, knitting. Are you crocheting baby blanket? Postage is extremely high. A birthday card posted to Germany is $4.00CAD My DILs Mother hand sews quilts for her grandchildren - 10 of them and also full Queen size for her 4 children. They are so beautiful. My sister eldest is a quilter.
    No time nor patience here. I spent most of my productive years building work life outside of the home. I like to can/preserve fruits & veg.

@oceanmelody Small steps make great strides. Watermelon (M) $14.99CAD Cherries $7.99/lb CAD @Joy1580vb rabbits? they are rampant in the neighbourhood. Not in our yard DH put down a deterrent on the perimeter of our yard.

Construction crew is clearing the work area in the front of the house. Paving next week and Ta Dah they are finished. Five weeks.

Smoked chicken thighs and salad for dinner.

For today going for haircuts and last visit to Travel agent to pick up itinerary .

Have a safe healthy day B)
  • Joy1580vb
    Good morning, ladies.

Looks like my garden is starting to suffer with the extreme heat. Corn is drying up and bottoms leaves are yellowing. Peas are blooming and the odd pod that is showing is very small so not sure I will get much off of them.
    Have been enjoying lettuce but now the leaf row is starting to bolt. The head lettuce seems ok for now. I'm taking out some water that I have by the house in my rain barrels and will water the tomatoes. Have 12 plants and they seem to be still doing very good....probably because they were planted deep.

Rabbits are not the problem in the garden as the only ones we have are quite far away and pretty much stay in the bushes. I'm pretty sure it is a coyote that is showing interest in the carrots.

Went for groceries this morning. We were going to stop for lunch but decided to just head home because of the hot weather

jonni82014 Glad to hear you are both on the mend from your colds. Do you maybe have your A/C set too low? I know that can cause some people to develop A/C colds. I set mine at 21 C but when we first put it in, I set it at 19 C and both hubby and I got colds. Hasn't been a problem since I upped the temp a bit and still feels comfortable in here.

Enjoy the day.