How to calculate daily sugar intake

My question is:
What counts towards sugar goal? Is it just added sugar or sugar from all food consumed same day? For example: Does naturally found sugar in carrots, tomatoes, fruits, etc. count towards daily sugar goal?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,705 Member
    In MFP all sugar is counted under sugar intake, regardless of source. In reality, it's more important to monitor added sugar intake, do of MFP tells you your sugar intake in high, make sure to check the specific foods you eat - if most of it of from fruit vegetables... you don't have anything to worry about (unless you have medical issues like diabetes).
  • Debz2451
    Debz2451 Posts: 4 Member
    So, what about say carb count 10g of sugars 2g
    Do mfp account that where?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,112 Member
    Don't worry about natural sugars just keep ultra processed carbs (sugar) to a minimum. This recent demonization of sugar is comical.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    Debz2451 wrote: »
    So, what about say carb count 10g of sugars 2g
    Do mfp account that where?

MFP would add the carbs to your carb grams total in your diary and nutrition totals; and the sugars to your sugar total, generally. In the country where I am (US), label regulation are such that 2g of those 10g of carbs are the 2g sugar, IMU, because sugar is a subset of carbs.

If you have premium MFP and have the "net carbs" setting turned out, MFP will subtract fiber grams from carbs grams. I'm not sure exactly how that looks in individual food lines in the diary, or whether it just affects totals, because I don't have that setting turned on.