Missing support and encouragement.

Hi everyone
I’m Lisa. I have been married for 48 years, have three adult children and six grandchildren. I am from the UK, but have lived in Spain for 22 years. I’m 65 and have been a member since 2013. I have logged every day for 4232 days. At my best I was 11 kilos down, now I’m just over 6 kilos down. For many years I was able to maintain my weight, and have found MFP to be so useful. The friends I made here have since fallen by the way side, and now there is no news feed I feel quite isolated. It was a great motivator. This year I have struggled to keep my weight down, and I seem to gain every week. I know I’m not being disciplined and consistent enough with my eating habits, but even when I am I’m not seeing the results I’d like. The menopause doesn’t help. I workout 3 times a week, just short sessions with weights. I walk every day, and do yoga. I try and eat enough protein, I keep well hydrated too. I guess I am a little fatigued with regard to watching my nutrition. I know there is no magic solution for weight loss, and it requires consistency. Maybe someone can share some ideas to inspire me to get back into my groove. Thank you!

Replies

• tracyjns65
    tracyjns65 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello my name is Tracy and I too feel the same as you, I’m 57 and weighed in for the first time in quite some time and was sad to see the scale, went from 138 to 143.6 but I’m shooting for at least 135 to 133. Like so many the menopause doesn’t help and I’m try to stay active but I started watching my granddaughter who is now 10 months old but started watching her when she was 3 months so I stayed active for the most part but I also have a thyroid issue and am on medication it’s like there is so much I want to do but my body is trying to slow me down🤷‍♀️I have 2 grown children and 2 grandchildren, I live on a farm and will soon be able to ride my 3 year old mule “Buttons”, so it’s trying to get back in shape and so much to do and trying to keep the energy up, I know what you going through, hang in there we can do this👍
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 4,846 Member
    @lisalu20 and @tracyjns65 Have you tried the challenges page on MFP. It has been a game changer for me.

I started my weight loss journey in January 2023. Started just by walking, started with a mile and added a little more each week. I also started tracking my calories on MFP, I lost 15 pounds the first few months, but then was getting bored. This was my usual weight loss journey - I would get bored and then quit and gain it all back (and then some) just to repeat the process all over again. Then found the challenges page on MFP and joined the Biggest Loser Challenge and the Hogwarts challenges. I can honestly say I would be where I am today without them. Losing weight became fun with these challenges and I also met some wonderful people. They keep me motivated and accountable. I started at 228 pounds - a little over a year and half later and I am down almost 84+ pounds. Both are starting up again soon. The Biggest Loser Challenge is announced now - the Hogwarts (if you are a Harry Potter Fan) will be shortly. Full disclosure I am the captain of the Biggest Loser Challenge Determined Desert Tortoises - so think they are the best team.

You can find information about the Biggest Loser Challenge here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10920805/the-blc56-biggest-loser-challenge-registration-for-fall-round#latest
  • lisalu20
    lisalu20 Posts: 46 Member
    @tracyjns65 thank you so much for your comment. I have had a good week so far. I’ve recommitted to myself and my ‘why’. I did a new plan to make sure I get enough lean protein, healthy carbs, fibre and sufficient good fats. I came across a YouTube video and the lady gave a great tip regarding protein and maintaining a calorie deficit. You look at the protein content of the food and the calories, then add a 0 to the protein. For example cottage cheese. Mine is 99 calories for 100g. It has 14g of protein. So that becomes 140. If this figure is greater than tepee calories it’s a good choice. Whereas a protein bar might have a far higher calorie to protein ratio, so not such a good choice for keeping within a calorie goal. I also calculated my protein intake requirement on a free on line calculator. I’m challenging myself to stick to my plan for 21 days. Then I will review and recommit again. I do Metabolic rest based training 3 times a week, with weights. This has helped me to maintain fitness and strength. We can do this!!
  • lisalu20
    lisalu20 Posts: 46 Member
    @iLive2Walk thank you! I will check them out! I am feeling much better now and am having a good week so far!