Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Accountability partner needed

abnerchiang5574
abnerchiang5574 Posts: 24 Member
Hi. I have depression and binge eating disorders. My height is 182 cm and my weight today is 73.3 kilograms. My BMI is healthy but I am looking to lose at least another 10 kilograms. I am 43.

I would like to find an accountability partner who can exchange messages with me at least once a week.

My mental health conditions make it harder for me to lose weight. However, I am pleased to say I have lost 4.5 kilograms over the last 3 weeks. I have stopped binge eating for 3 weeks.

I am also looking to increase my VO2 Max score. My current score of 32.6, according to my Apple Watch, is “extremely poor” for my age group. I brisk walk daily to keep fit.

If you are interested, please comment then I will message you, or please message me.

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,501 Member
    Bring it Abner. Once a week is perfect.
  • abnerchiang5574
    Hi. Just checking in to say I have lost further 1 kilogram since this time last week. I am still looking for an accountability partner, though.
  • dianneberman
    dianneberman Posts: 1 Member
    Hi
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Have you considered one of the accountability groups/threads/challenges in these parts of the Community?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/motivation-and-support
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

When it works out well, one on one support is great, but it can be less helpful if the other person turns out not to have the same level of commitment (. . . though I do see that Chris offered upthread, and he's a good guy :) ).

Groups that have been running for a while tend to have a bit of a life of their own: Some people with lower commitment may leave, but there can be enough continuity in participation overall from multiple people so that it's like a support mini-community.

There are quite a few different groups, threads or challenges in those areas. You can read the intro posts, find one(s) that seem to suit you, and follow the instructions to join in, if you think that might help you. Some are a bit competitive, some more social, some have a theme - lots of options.

Regardless of what you decide, I'm wishing you success: IME, the results are worth the effort!
  • chris_in_cal
    Hi again Abner,
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There are lots of places on MFP to plug in, as above. To be clear none of the above are groups. Here in MFP their is a weird insistence on conflating all the community threads with their activities and people, with the horribly broken MFP Groups.

Go to the community categories and their threads, there are a lot of good people.

I also will check in with you, all the accountability I can get.
  • AnnPT77
    @abnerchiang5574, despite pessimistic reports, MFP Community groups aren't quite dead yet!

I could have been more clear, Abner and @chris_in_cal:

Some of the threads in the areas I linked promote actual MFP Community groups. Here are a couple of examples that were easy to find:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10918737/fat-2-fit-ready-for-july-register-now#latest
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10917298/hogwarts-weight-loss-challenge-term-60-6-week-challenge-june-21st-august-4th#latest

Yes, some threads in those areas are just threads, either long ones or ones that reincarnate anew every month or quarter or something. But some of the threads are overviews/"advertisements" of actual groups, with instructions about how to join the group. The groups that have recent activity on their intro threads do seem still to be active, though the content isn't always visible before a person joins the group.
  • chris_in_cal
    @abnerchiang5574

Despite what people who do not actively participate in any groups write. MFP Groups are dead. there are 10000 of them on this site...less than 1% have had any activity this month. (1/10000 is dead in webpage measurements)

Horribly broken, and no active and consistent group participate will write to disagree with me. (That's a challenge, BTW)

(I used to be in a group, my friend is in a group, others are in a group, is noise, just tune that out.)

And boy it is interesting how tenaciously writers here hold on to that misconception.
  • chris_in_cal
    Groups are dead. there are 10000 of them on this site...less than 1% have had any activity this month. (1/10000 is dead in webpage measurements)

It is an old comedy bit from the American television show Saturday Night Live, "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!"
  • AnnPT77
    I'm in 3 groups in which I do participate. Daily? No. One probably a couple of times a week. Two others I read, rarely post. Groups aren't lively, but they aren't dead. I agree that they're not high traffic or high popularity overall, but the few "marketed" in the challenges/motivation area appear to be reasonably active, and are legitimate avenues for support.

There's at least one other group that I recommend to new users sometimes, if they fit the membership criteria. I don't belong to that one, because I don't fit the criteria, but the posts are public readable, it has recent activity and the content is good.

I can understand criticizing the groups as a concept or general service. They're not a great feature in a generic software-support sense. But I can't understand telling new people that the few active ones are not worth considering.
  • abnerchiang5574
    Hi. I am again checking in with my weight. I now weigh 70 kilograms and have lost 3 kilograms from 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for leaving messages here. They keep me motivated.
  • AnnPT77
    Hi. I am again checking in with my weight. I now weigh 70 kilograms and have lost 3 kilograms from 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for leaving messages here. They keep me motivated.

Congratulations! That's very fast loss, especially for someone under 100kg.

Please be sure you're meeting your nutrition and energy needs to keep you health up, too,

Wishing you continuing good results in all ways!
  • abnerchiang5574
    Thanks, @AnnPT77. Today I weigh 69 kilograms. Thanks to everyone for the support.
  • abnerchiang5574
    Again checking in with my weight. I weigh 68 kilograms today.
  • NickiBear81
    NickiBear81 Posts: 12 Member
    Abner - This is typed from a place of care and sustainability, I would highly recommend that you reach out to a professional nutritionist or nutrition support group.
    The numbers that you have posted here under "accountability" in the last month are actually quite alarming and some quick advice from a professional is likely to be a much healthier way than a generic app and internet randoms.
  • abnerchiang5574
    @NickiBear81 I am really sorry to cause offence to you. I have not aimed for anything unrealistic and unreasonable: I think losing 1 kilogram over one week’s time is quite sustainable and healthy.

Also I don't think my posts have not breached any rules of MyFiitnessPal.

However, I can understand your concerns and can relate to the fact that not everyone can share my point of view.

Once again, thank you, I apologize for any misunderstanding that I may have caused. And thank you for finding time to leave your comments.