Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Menopause & weight gain

Any ladies out there struggling with menopause & weight gain ? I’m walking & watching my calories… I’m stuck ! Any tips & tricks ??

Replies

• lanyquist
    lanyquist Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Kimberly, I ate Adkins for 2 years & that helped. But, I had hernia surgery in January, so I couldn’t workout for a bit. That threw me off. I gained back the weight.
    I’m back at it. And have dropped 5 pounds. I hope someone else answers this question as I always seem to hit a plateau with 10 lbs to lose.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    "Watching your calories" isn't really a metric...

Finding your weight loss calories is an experiment we all had to run, menopause or not.

Keep logging food. Study your food diary if you want to make any progress. Just watching calories isn't enough, it has to be the right number.

Low carb (Atkins) isn't necessary and I'd argue that in menopause I needed my carbs - your mileage may vary.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,041 Member
    I'm in peri, and I won't lie, that shitake hit me like a freight train, and bloating and weight came right along with it all.
    The weight (not the bloating), however, I see as more of a side effect of the peri BS. My list of symptoms was rather extensive, and while from the outside looking in you'd probably just say I wasn't "dedicated" enough, reality was I didn't have it in me to do what was needed to maintain my weight, unless I was willing to let my job/career/business and pets suffer, but something had to give.
    I started with a supplement, which helped, and then just over a month ago finally started HRT, and this week I've been able to start back to my AM workouts - and that's while recovering from a crash I had at this last weekend's races!
    There would have been no WAY I'd be doing that a month ago....fatigue and exhaustion (and as I found out some brain fog too) were killing me - sleep patterns were all off - and willpower was non-existent.
    Things are improving, and I'm glad I'm able to utilize what is out there!
    I'm confident that the sleep and fatigue improvements, allowing me to get my workouts in, and having a lot more "willpower" and my "I'm full" receptors seeming to work again will result in getting the weight back in line.
  • lanyquist
    lanyquist Posts: 2 Member
    @springlering62 That is exactly what I have found also. As you said What I found was, it was actually a relief to back off the endless sugar and carbs. That was the last thing I expected.

Most everyone gets that belly spread in middle age. Cutting down on refined carbs and sugar has certainly helped me. I don’t get the huge crash after eating a high carb meal anymore. And my pants fit around the waist better. I’ve been on HRT for 15 years now. Like Hailey Berry says, I’ll probably be on
    it until I die.

That said, keeping fat off my belly & rear is my biggest battle. I walk briskly daily, Lift weights 3x per week, swim occasionally and bike. Whenever I drop my activity and start eating sweets or drinking the belly fat returns.

I just started reading “The Insulin Resistance Solution”. As someone who has been normal weight up until menopause, but had polycystic disease. It has really opened my eyes and allowed me to take some of the blame for midlife spread off myself.
    That’s my 2 cents.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Unlike much of the population, my mother became more active when she retired and for decades has struggled to stay above Underweight as she is so active and doesn't eat a lot of hyperpalatable or calorie dense food. She eats a lot of bulky/filling/lower calorie fruit/vegetables/legumes/grains, similar to the Mediterranean diet.

I'm post hysterectomy and am overweight because I eat too much for my activity level.
  • mckendryheather
    mckendryheather Posts: 1 Member
    To echo what some of the other comments have said…

When I started noticing belly weight gain, etc., from menopause, I rode my bike harder and I ate less. It didn’t work.

I hired a personal trainer and nutritionist and learned why. Since then, I eat more now…150g protein and 20g fiber a day. And I’m weight training. I still ride, but only 1-2 x week. It’s been slow, but I’m losing about 1.5 lbs a month and my clothes fit me better than they have in a long time.

I also worked on getting my hormones balanced and am on hormone replacement therapy.

I’ve had to accept that I won’t lose weight like I did in my 20’s and 30’s and that this is a lifestyle change for the long haul because I want to be strong and able to do the things I love for a long time to come.
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    Eager2LoseLbs Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 19
    I am 55 going on 56. Well, I’ve lost 15 lbs in 2 months, started on June 12. I was 195 and now I’m between 179 and 181 lbs. it’s been hard and hit plateaus a lot but I finally found a diet that works. For exercise, I do cardio/aerobics for about 30 minutes and my diet consists of cottage cheese with fruit with a cup of coffee for breakfast, for lunch I have a tuna or egg salad sandwich then for dinner I have a hearty chicken salad. My snack is peaches. My goal weight is to reach for 160 lbs. I have 20 more lbs to go so it will probably take me another 2 to 4 months. After I reach my goal, I plan on maintaining it this time. I don’t want to be overweight again. Yo-yo dieting isn’t something I want to keep doing.

This is the second time to lose all this weight. It’s been hard for me because this is hormonal weight gain with this perimenopause. It’s a sure challenge.
  • What does MFP mean? I'm new here. F46 and dealing with weight gain. Especially my mid section and legs. I'm at 180 lbs. One year ago, I was 155 lbs. A lot of the weight gain is my fault. I'm at a caloric deficit, but I still eat a lot with 1300 calories. I find myself having three meals and a lot of snacks. But I'm still at the caloric deficit. Not losing weight. Can I still be eating too much with the caloric deficit. I'm tracking my food. I know I need to be more active. I've faced a lot of grief over the last 2-3 years. I lost my dad, best friend, and grandma all within 6 months of each other, moved, got a new demanding job, and was hit with emotional eating due to being lonely. Lonely meaning being single. I've yo-yo’d over the last 3 years. I've lost weight and put it right back on. I never had an issue with weight until covid.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    edited August 19
    kaaheav wrote: »
    I am 55 going on 56. Well, I’ve lost 15 lbs in 2 months, started on June 12. I was 195 and now I’m between 179 and 181 lbs. it’s been hard and hit plateaus a lot but I finally found a diet that works. For exercise, I do cardio/aerobics for about 30 minutes and my diet consists of cottage cheese with fruit with a cup of coffee for breakfast, for lunch I have a tuna or egg salad sandwich then for dinner I have a hearty chicken salad. My snack is peaches. My goal weight is to reach for 160 lbs. I have 20 more lbs to go so it will probably take me another 2 to 4 months. After I reach my goal, I plan on maintaining it this time. I don’t want to be overweight again. Yo-yo dieting isn’t something I want to keep doing.

This is the second time to lose all this weight. It’s been hard for me because this is hormonal weight gain with this perimenopause. It’s a sure challenge.

Just to clarify: you may have had stalls, but you didn't plateau. A plateau is at least a month where your weight stays the same (without any changes to your routine). Considering your very fast loss (15lbs in 2 months), I doubt you were anywhere near a plateau :smile: The scale does 'random' things (weight is more than just bodyfat, also fluctuations in water-weight and food waste in your system) and weight-loss isn't linear - perfectly normal to not lose weight every day or even every week.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    What does MFP mean? .

MFP=MyFitnessPal

Another one you’ll find helpful:

NSV= Non Scale Victory : waistband looser, rings falling off, etc even when weight doesn’t go down. Thats the fun, unexpected stuff that happens during stalls or plateaus. There’s a huge thread about it over on Success Stories. That thread kept me moving when the scale just wasn’t.
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    Lietchi wrote: »

Just to clarify: you may have had stalls, but you didn't plateau. A plateau is at least a month where your weight stays the same (without any changes to your routine). Considering your very fast loss (15lbs in 2 months), I doubt you were anywhere near a plateau :smile: The scale does 'random' things (weight is more than just bodyfat, also fluctuations in water-weight and food waste in your system) and weight-loss isn't linear - perfectly normal to not lose weight every day or even every week.

I know what plateaus are and I have experienced it. Whenever your weight STALLS it’s a plateau. You have to make adjustments. If you’ve been losing the weight regularly then suddenly it stops, it’s a plateau. I also know that what’s on the scale is not just body fat. Remember, you’re not talking to a younger person. I’ve done this for years. Studied about the subject too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member

I know what plateaus are and I have experienced it. Whenever your weight STALLS it’s a plateau. You have to make adjustments. If you’ve been losing the weight regularly then suddenly it stops, it’s a plateau. I also know that what’s on the scale is not just body fat. Remember, you’re not talking to a younger person. I’ve done this for years. Studied about the subject too.

Hi there and welcome.

A stall for a day or a week is not a plateau. It's most likely water weight or poop weight weirdness. An actual plateau is only present if nothing happens in a month, or a full menstrual cycle if it applies.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Hi there and welcome.

A stall for a day or a week is not a plateau. It's most likely water weight or poop weight weirdness. An actual plateau is only present if nothing happens in a month, or a full menstrual cycle if it applies.

Yup. The difference being that a stall of a few days or weeks often requires no action, just patience. A plateau of a month or more is likely to be a sign that something needs to change.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,717 Member

Hi there and welcome.

Yup. The difference being that a stall of a few days or weeks often requires no action, just patience. A plateau of a month or more is likely to be a sign that something needs to change.

*fondly remembers her year long plateau*

I was eating so well back then. Even in a deficit. :)
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    edited August 19

Hi there and welcome.

Again, I’ve had plateaus and yes, it could be a month but only if you’re not making that adjustment. Yes, water weight causes your weight to go up and down, that’s different. Also, retaining water because of a menstrual cycle is also different. I’ve had actual plateaus, being stuck because of hormonal weight gain. Why do I get the feeling you guys are ganging up on me?