Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Realistic Ways to increase NEAT

Hi everyone
I'm back to gym after needing to take time off following a car accident. Things are going well in the gym and I am learning to make daily movement a part of my everyday routine.
To achieve my current goal, I think I need to increase my NEAT. We always read about the typical ways to increase it- i.e., take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away and walk etc.
Does any one have examples of how they have increased their NEAT? I work a job that requires lots of sitting/computer work, and a standing desk does not seem like an option here.

Thanks all
Tagged:

Best Answers

• cheryljm94
    cheryljm94 Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓
    Hi I'm Cheryl.
    I have been trying to stand when I make phone calls and when possible, I pace around a little area while i'm talking. I try to stretch a little bit when I take breaks. I have also been parking further away. Being older, I'm a little bit at risk for having blood clots. So on an airplane with a long flight. I marched while I'm sitting.
    And I also extend my leg in and out if it doesn't bother anyone near me. I know you're gonna do great. Please don't forget nutrition, health, your body heal. I saw a suppliment called "tissue repair" by healfast
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Answer ✓
    There's a long thread in the "Most Helpful Posts" of this section where lots of MFP-ers share their ideas about this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Maybe some of those thoughts would be realistic for you?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,537 Member
    Answer ✓
    When I’m at work I go up to the next floor to go to the loo - just means I get a few extra stairs in. When I’m working from home I go down the stairs and outside to go to the loo (I have an outside loo - as that read like I pee in the garden 🤣). I have reasonably active hobbies, and I can easily spend half a day of my free time pottering around the garden. It’s amazing how many steps you can get in just doing gentle gardening. I also have a colleague that does wall push ups each time she boils the kettle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    edited August 20 Answer ✓
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's a long thread in the "Most Helpful Posts" of this section where lots of MFP-ers share their ideas about this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Thanks Ann! I tried to search "NEAT" on here, but didn't come across this article. Thank you for finding it for me and posting it <3

Sometimes the search results here can be funky! Searching is good, with caveats: Sometimes it doesn't bring back relevant stuff, sometimes it brings back terrible old threads with a bunch of outdated nonsense in them, sometimes it brings back too much to sort out the good bits.

I hope no one here would ever hesitate to ask questions if they don't find what they want expediently. :flowerforyou: Many of the other MFP long-timers like me will reply, and/or suggest older threads we found good/helpful ourselves if we know of one.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,729 Member
    Answer ✓
    When you are standing doing something simple, like stirring dinner, waiting for the microwave to ding, brushing your teeth, standing at the photocopier, etc. add a few leg lifts or squats or rise on your toes etc. I don't know if it actually makes any difference, but I enjoy adding a little here and there. Also, when home watching TV, if you can do something active during commercial breaks.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,270 Member
    edited August 21 Answer ✓
    I do needlework. It’s awesome.

Pros: Keeps my hands out of the snacks, my slightly arthritic trigger-finger-prone fingers loose and limber, and it counts as NEAT, because something is moving all the time.

Cons: I could wallpaper the house in needlepoint, every blooming chair and bed in the house is draped with a crocheted blanket (or two or three), I’ve got a couple drawers full of elaborate doilies that I have zero use for, my friends are like “erm….more snowflakes for Christmas?” , and the kids are like “no more, Mom! No more!!!

Even the cats look at me as if to say,”could we please take some pillows off so we can curl up properly?”

durspjjbdxo0.jpeg

Answers

• A_New_Creation
    A_New_Creation Posts: 180 Member
    cheryljm94 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Cheryl.
    I have been trying to stand when I make phone calls and when possible, I pace around a little area while i'm talking. I try to stretch a little bit when I take breaks. I have also been parking further away. Being older, I'm a little bit at risk for having blood clots. So on an airplane with a long flight. I marched while I'm sitting.
    And I also extend my leg in and out if it doesn't bother anyone near me. I know you're gonna do great. Please don't forget nutrition, health, your body heal. I saw a suppliment called "tissue repair" by healfast

Hi Cheryl
    Thank you so much for your insight and quick reply. I will also look into this Tissue Repair supplement. Thanks again <3
  • A_New_Creation

Thanks Ann! I tried to search "NEAT" on here, but didn't come across this article. Thank you for finding it for me and posting it <3
  • A_New_Creation
    When I’m at work I go up to the next floor to go to the loo - just means I get a few extra stairs in. When I’m working from home I go down the stairs and outside to go to the loo (I have an outside loo - as that read like I pee in the garden 🤣). I have reasonably active hobbies, and I can easily spend half a day of my free time pottering around the garden. It’s amazing how many steps you can get in just doing gentle gardening. I also have a colleague that does wall push ups each time she boils the kettle.

K your comment both made me laugh and gave me a very helpful tip, lol. Thank you, I know I can definitely implement some of this.
  • A_New_Creation
    You are a wonderful lady. Thanks again Ann
  • A_New_Creation

Sometimes the search results here can be funky! Searching is good, with caveats: Sometimes it doesn't bring back relevant stuff, sometimes it brings back terrible old threads with a bunch of outdated nonsense in them, sometimes it brings back too much to sort out the good bits.

I hope no one here would ever hesitate to ask questions if they don't find what they want expediently. :flowerforyou: Many of the other MFP long-timers like me will reply, and/or suggest older threads we found good/helpful ourselves if we know of one.

You are a wonderful lady. Thanks again Ann.
  • A_New_Creation
    When you are standing doing something simple, like stirring dinner, waiting for the microwave to ding, brushing your teeth, standing at the photocopier, etc. add a few leg lifts or squats or rise on your toes etc. I don't know if it actually makes any difference, but I enjoy adding a little here and there. Also, when home watching TV, if you can do something active during commercial breaks.

Great reminder about what to do during commercial breaks. Thank you <3
  • A_New_Creation
    I do needlework. It’s awesome.

Pros: Keeps my hands out of the snacks, my slightly arthritic trigger-finger-prone fingers loose and limber, and it counts as NEAT, because something is moving all the time.

Cons: I could wallpaper the house in needlepoint, every blooming chair and bed in the house is draped with a crocheted blanket (or two or three), I’ve got a couple drawers full of elaborate doilies that I have zero use for, my friends are like “erm….more snowflakes for Christmas?” , and the kids are like “no more, Mom! No more!!!

Even the cats look at me as if to say,”could we please take some pillows off so we can curl up properly?”

durspjjbdxo0.jpeg

What a beautiful, and helpful, hobby you have. Thank you for sharing <3