Where can i buy two eight year old girls?

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    This can actually be kind of tough. You have to get age appropriate content along with challenging enough material to keep them interested.

Alice in Wonderland
    The Secret Garden
    The Wind in the Willows
    The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
    Charlotte's Web
    The Boxcar Children
    Judy Blume books
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    My daughter loved the "Junie B Jones" series. I started out reading them to her. Then we took turns reading to each other. All at once she was devouring them. She's 13 now and though her taste in books has changed she's an avid reader.

Bravo to you for caring!:love:

I was a little bit concerned by the topic.:laugh:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Ask her mom.

Kids can be quite picky on what they read. You could always get her a gift card or take her shopping with you. Then you could spend some quality time with her too.

My daughter is 7 and she loves to read. She reads anything she can get her hands on. She likes Junie B Jones, Magic Tree House books, Diary of a wimpy Kid. She has also read Charlottes Web, and Stuart Little.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    Man I almost thought I was somewhere I should not have been with a title like that

I use Amazon for books for my kids cheaper than the book shop

Glad you said it.

I like amazon and barnes and noble. American girl books are popular at that age.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Warriors books are all the rage for 8 year old girls. They are about these cat clans that have human characteristics. Or The Lightning Thief, another great book for kids

My daughter started these at the beginning of 5th grade. Loved them. When she had read them all we donated them to her 5th grade teacher for the classroom.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sooooo tempting to reply. But, I shall not. :smile:
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things are they into? I loved the boxcar children series, but those are short mysteries. If they like mysteries, there's also Nancy Drew.

If they like fantasy with a bit of danger and excitement, I read the "Redwall" series by Brian Jacques when I was a girl. The size of the book makes it look intimidating, but its a fun read
  • ambern02
    Options
    Magic tree house books. Not only do kids love them so do teachers. They actually teach as they read, and they love it. My daughter will turn 7 soon and she love them so much she is reading big words or asking for help with big words to read them.
  • lawlzx
    Options
    129193163112961924.jpg
    This. Srsly.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    lol! =p
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There is a series called The Saddle Club. Girls that age like horses.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    my fave book at that age was Watership Down - it's about rabbits who win at personificaiton. LOL. really a fun read.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    See if the parents know their girl's lexile scores. It's a common way of measuring reading ability in school now.
    Then you can go here: http://www.lexile.com/findabook/

It also lets you look by grade level. Then you can pick the type of books they like (animals, adventure, etc) and it'll suggest books.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Start with classics:

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
    All Creatures Great And Small (series) by James Herriot
    The Secret Horse by Marion Holland
    The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    Black Beauty series by Anna Sewell
    Misty of Chincoteague series by Marguerite Henry
    Black Stallion series by Walter Henry
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    facepalm20collage203_Facepalm_collection-s800x591-82168.jpg
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    facepalm20collage203_Facepalm_collection-s800x591-82168.jpg

:smile:
  • lawlzx
    Options
    Literal-Face-Palm.jpg
    ?
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Depending on their reading level, Diary of a wimpy kid series are good!

This was what I was gonna say. My brothers hate to read, but even they read this (and so did I, they were good). If she's a girly girl though, idk if she'd like it. Otherwise she'd love it.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I suggest The Catcher in The rye, Lady Chatterlys Lover, The great Gatsby,and Hunter Thompsons Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.
    All books I read at 8 (except fear & loathing)

While I absolutely love the book choices - some of my all time faves... I think if you're trying to get them "into" reading... these might be a little intimadating.
  • Joga717
    Joga717 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Queens
This discussion has been closed.