Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Alcohol when on calorie restriction

Just had the worst hung over on a "normal" amount of alcohol. I just wander if this is what to expect when:

- Alcohol has been extremely limited lately due to healthier lifestyle
- Calories has been reduced to 1500

I don't think I will drink again if 4 glasses of wine will give med 2,5 days of hung over.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,086 Member
    Abstinence for awhile lowers your tolerance. Low cals, especially around drinking time and you have the 1-2 punch of hangover material. 4 glasses of wine will destroy a calorie deficit
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    Aside from your body not being used to it anymore, have you lost a lot of weight? A smaller body will be more sensitive to alcohol than a larger one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I agree with those above (from experience) that abstinence decreases tolerance, and a lighter body inherently tolerates only a reduced amount. Consuming food with alcohol tends to slow its absorption somewhat, so that could also be a factor (with reduced food).

On top of that, a calorie deficit is a stress on the body (even though it may produce healthful results long term). The bigger the deficit (i.e., the faster the loss), and the longer the deficit has gone on, the more stress involved. Over-consuming alcohol is also a physical stress.

Stress is cumulative. I'd expect that cumulative stress effect, too, to increase the chances of hangover at a formerly-OK-ish level of alcohol intake.

I'm not being morally judge-y with this next, I promise: I consume alcohol myself. But it's pretty clear that 4 glasses of wine, even if we're talking about the small 5 ounce (US) or 125 ml (some other places) official serving size, is more than is recommended for a woman like you or me to drink in one day.

Also, different types of alcohol reportedly have slightly different odds of causing hangover symptoms. Red wine has a reputation for being toward the worse end of that scale, maybe less so than some dark liquors. White wine, maybe less than red wine, but probably more than a clear distilled spirit like vodka.
  • KarinSanden
    KarinSanden Posts: 36 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I agree with those above (from experience) that abstinence decreases tolerance, and a lighter body inherently tolerates only a reduced amount. Consuming food with alcohol tends to slow its absorption somewhat, so that could also be a factor (with reduced food).

On top of that, a calorie deficit is a stress on the body (even though it may produce healthful results long term). The bigger the deficit (i.e., the faster the loss), and the longer the deficit has gone on, the more stress involved. Over-consuming alcohol is also a physical stress.

Stress is cumulative. I'd expect that cumulative stress effect, too, to increase the chances of hangover at a formerly-OK-ish level of alcohol intake.

I'm not being morally judge-y with this next, I promise: I consume alcohol myself. But it's pretty clear that 4 glasses of wine, even if we're talking about the small 5 ounce (US) or 125 ml (some other places) official serving size, is more than is recommended for a woman like you or me to drink in one day.

Also, different types of alcohol reportedly have slightly different odds of causing hangover symptoms. Red wine has a reputation for being toward the worse end of that scale, maybe less so than some dark liquors. White wine, maybe less than red wine, but probably more than a clear distilled spirit like vodka.

Thank you for a great answer, I finally feel like myself again. I guess that my brain thinks that I can drink what I drank before but my body is used to better life standards now. Alcohol is a poison after all and wow, that reaction really surprised me.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Are you drinking enough water?

Just since we all are calorie conscious here, a full bottle of Red Zin (my preference) is about 660cal.
    That's more that a whole meal for me right now.
  • will13warren
    will13warren Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 31
    The thing I have found with alcohol is every body has a different palate and it can change at any time.
    I have always experimented with alcohol. The drinks I consume in Australia are Toohey's Extra dry with water chasers and a Pinot Noir from from the southern areas of New Zealand and Australia.
    They don't give me headaches or hang overs. I'm unable to drink Apple cider, Bundy Rum, and any other wine that's not a good Pinot Noir. These drinks make me feel like I've been hit with a baseball bat.
    If you haven't had a drink in a while and you have the drinks you like with you? Have your drink and follow it with half or an equal amount of water. Personally I like to be active the next day after drinking alcohol. And slow drinking alcohol leaves a nice buzz for longer.
  • KarinSanden
    The thing I have found with alcohol is every body has a different palate and it can change at any time.
    I have always experimented with alcohol. The drinks I consume in Australia are Toohey's Extra dry with water chasers and a Pinot Noir from from the southern areas of New Zealand and Australia.
    They don't give me headaches or hang overs. I'm unable to drink Apple cider, Bundy Rum, and any other wine that's not a good Pinot Noir. These drinks make me feel like I've been hit with a baseball bat.
    If you haven't had a drink in a while and you have the drinks you like with you? Have your drink and follow it with half or an equal amount of water. Personally I like to be active the next day after drinking alcohol. And slow drinking alcohol leaves a nice buzz for longer.

I think I will quit drinking for a looong time or at least have a very limited drinking to a few special occasions.
  • KarinSanden
    Turns out I had got Borrelia, so it was not just a hungover. :(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Turns out I had got Borrelia, so it was not just a hungover. :(

Oh, gosh: I'm so glad you figured that out so it could be treated! Sending well-wishes!
  • stianjl
    stianjl Posts: 15 Member
    If you drink alcohol more rarely, your body will not get used to it. So thats why the hungover is worse. Also, if you eat less you also get worse hungover since the body doesnt have much to work with. If you really gonna drink, think about hydration and get your electrolytes in before you go to sleep. It helps.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,048 Member
    Alcohol zaps my energy the next day. The more I drink the lazier I get. I just had one of the worst hangovers this past Sunday and ruined my entire day. I work full time 5 days a week and have the weekends off. I am getting tired of ruining my weekends for no good reason.

I have decided to do a 90-day alcohol free challenge.

My ultimate goal is to be alcohol free forever. It won't be easy, but I'm prepared to put the work in.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Text yourself and describe that hangover day in detail and all the repercussions. When going to the store to buy alcohol read that text before getting out of your car and you will just go home empty handed. Been there done that.
    Good luck
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,048 Member
    Text yourself and describe that hangover day in detail and all the repercussions. When going to the store to buy alcohol read that text before getting out of your car and you will just go home empty handed. Been there done that.
    Good luck

Good idea!

This is the third time I have tried to completely quit. I can't do moderation because 1 will lead to 5 or 10. This happens because alcohol lowers my rational decision-making thinking and it's a free for all after one.

This time I am taking a different approach by setting a tangible goal of 90 days. I'm 5 days in now and feeling strong :)
  • tomcustombuilder
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Good luck

Good idea!

This is the third time I have tried to completely quit. I can't do moderation because 1 will lead to 5 or 10. This happens because alcohol lowers my rational decision-making thinking and it's a free for all after one.

This time I am taking a different approach by setting a tangible goal of 90 days. I'm 5 days in now and feeling strong :)
    5 days is big, now just keep going.