Protein

Can't seem to hit my protein goal. I go over the protein goal every day! Don't really understand the negative effects of too much protien. Someone help . . .

Replies

• That's totally fine. You will WANT to go over in protein and fiber.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    I go over like 50g a day, love it :D
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    mmmm....protein....I like a nice shot of it first thing in the morning.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    I am having the opposite problem. I have a hard time reaching my protein goal. I am trying some different things to reach it each day.
  • sherrimech
    sherrimech Posts: 1 Member
    I’m having a hard time reaching my protein goal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    sherrimech wrote: »
    I’m having a hard time reaching my protein goal.

Take a look at this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Log your food, review what you logged, notice things you eat routinely that have more calories than they are worth to you, in their current portion sizes or frequency. Reduce those foods to free up calories, then find foods you like (via the thread I linked) that have more protein for the calories.

Keep doing that repeatedly, focusing on changing routine eating habits, and you'll work your way toward your protein goal. It doesn't need to be perfect right off: It's OK to take a bit of time getting yourself there, in a way that works well for you long term.

Obviously, it helps to have one big protein source in each meal (with 25-30g or so of protein, ideally). In addition, think about side dishes and snacks, etc., you might enjoy that have at least a little protein. There are grains, breads, veggies, and even fruits with more protein than others. Those small amounts add up through the day.

If you're really concerned, consider a protein supplement as a transition aid. Whey protein powder is pretty affordable, widely available, very bioavailable and complete in essential amino acids, but other types can be OK, too. Mix protein powder into . . . whatever works for you. Or get protein shakes or bars that you like, that have the calories and protein levels you need.

@sherrimech, in general, if you have a question, you will get the best advice if you start your own thread. This thread literally starts with the opposite question from yours, so you're less likely to get useful replies than you would if you made your own post with a specific "How do I get more protein?" kind of title.

I'm glad you decided to post at all, though: My experience was that reading/posting in the MFP Community was a big help to me in reaching my goals. I'd encourage you to participate, and hope you'll achieve all your goals.

Wishing you the best here in MFP!