Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Constipation

Can constipation slow down my progress?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    It won't stop you from losing weight, but it will make any progress less obvious since waste in your system will show up on the scale. If the constipation makes you feel bloated, it could actually help a bit because bloating can reduce your appetite.

Drink more water, exercise, eat lots of vegetables and if it lasts for more than a couple of days, look into fiber supplements. When I was doing low carb, I had problems because of the lack of fiber in my diet. I took fiber pills and got my system started again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I don't disagree with the post above, but there can be more to it than fiber pills.

The PP mentioned water and exercise. Another thing that can contribute to constipation is inadequate fat intake. (Some people cut fats too far when trying to lose weight.)

Some people also find probiotics helpful for constipation. Personally, I'd start by regularly eating probiotic foods like live culture yogurt and kefir, raw sauerkraut/kim chi, kombucha, live-culture miso, raw vinegar, etc. Supplements are an option, but food IMO is better.

In some cases, there could also be something like magnesium deficiency or hypothyroidism, for example.

I was diagnosed with IBS/C, and told to take a fiber supplement. That made things worse, because what I really needed was more water. (I was already getting enough fiber, it was just stuck in the pipes!) Now, at lower calories, I have to pay attention to getting enough fats, or things can slow up again. In practice, fiber is the most common problem, but it can be multiple factors.
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    Eager2LoseLbs Posts: 15 Member
    I had to get laxatives. I was in desperate need of it. Almost a week without pooping.
  • AnnPT77
    kaaheav wrote: »
    I had to get laxatives. I was in desperate need of it. Almost a week without pooping.

That's a very reasonable choice in that context.

You probably already know this, but if this becomes a repeat problem, please don't keep relying on laxatives. See a doctor, or a registered dietitian. Over-use of laxatives, even mild-ish ones, can screw things up longer term.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    Yes, if this is a common thing see a doctor. Also, as I'm sure Ann wrote: Eat enough fats because they are needed for digestion and moving things along.
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, if this is a common thing see a doctor. Also, as I'm sure Ann wrote: Eat enough fats because they are needed for digestion and moving things along.
    I need more fiber in my diet. I think that I’ve been eating a lot of fat already (per MFP)

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,727 Member
    I need more fiber in my diet. I think that I’ve been eating a lot of fat already (per MFP)

Don't forget water. Lots of water.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 499 Member
    I suffer from chronic constipation. I use magnesium powder (CalMag from Amazon). It works like a charm, and you can adjust the dosage depending on your results.
  • AnnPT77

Veggies, fruits, whole grains can help. A diversity of fiber types is helpful, which makes many fiber supplements not that great an answer.

Many people know about soluble vs. insoluble fibers, but I think fewer know about the benefits of fermentable fibers (rather than entirely or mostly non-fermentable ones). Most soluble fibers are fermentable, but not all; most insoluble fibers are non-fermentable, but not all. There are also subtypes with somewhat different effects.

But this doesn't have to be complicated. Getting fiber intake from a variety of sources will typically get a person a reasonable mix.

No matter the source, increasing fiber gradually is generally a better idea than a big jump all at once. It can take the digestive system (including gut microbiome) some time to adjust. A big jump all at once can make constipation worse, cause the opposite (diarrhea), trigger very uncomfortable levels of lower intestinal gas, and more.

While bad things wouldn't happen for everyone, increasing gradually minimizes the chances of unpleasantness.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You probably already know this, but if this becomes a repeat problem, please don't keep relying on laxatives. See a doctor, or a registered dietitian. Over-use of laxatives, even mild-ish ones, can screw things up longer term.

That is actually untrue. Laxatives on the basis of macrogol have no long term effects at all. They act on a physical principal by adding water to your poop. They can safely be taken lifelong.
  • AnnPT77
    Seffell wrote: »

That is actually untrue. Laxatives on the basis of macrogol have no long term effects at all. They act on a physical principal by adding water to your poop. They can safely be taken lifelong.

Of course some laxatives are riskier than others. Persistent constipation is still a medical issue.

Here's what the NHS says about Macrogol risks specifically:
    Ideally, you'll only take macrogol occasionally and for a few days at a time.

Using laxatives like macrogol for longer can lead to diarrhoea that lasts a long time, and can cause an electrolyte imbalance. This is where levels of substances like sodium, potassium and magnesium in your body get too high or too low.

In some people, a severe electrolyte imbalance can cause serious health problems such as:

* muscle spasms
    * twitching
    * a seizure or fit

However, sometimes a doctor may recommend you or your child take macrogol for a few months. This could be because you keep getting constipation or you take medicines that make you constipated. Your doctor will advise you how long you need to take macrogol for and how much to take.

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/macrogol/common-questions-about-macrogol/

(Bolding mine.)

I'll stick with my advice: " . . . if this becomes a repeat problem, please don't keep relying on laxatives. See a doctor, or a registered dietitian. Over-use of laxatives, even mild-ish ones, can screw things up longer term."

If using Macrogol is the doctor's recommendation, that's one thing. If a person self-medicates and ends up causing negative effects (even rare ones) or masking a more serious condition, that's another.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member

Of course some laxatives are riskier than others. Persistent constipation is still a medical issue.

Using laxatives like macrogol for longer can lead to diarrhoea that lasts a long time, and can cause an electrolyte imbalance. This is where levels of substances like sodium, potassium and magnesium in your body get too high or too low.

In some people, a severe electrolyte imbalance can cause serious health problems such as:

* muscle spasms
    * twitching
    * a seizure or fit

However, sometimes a doctor may recommend you or your child take macrogol for a few months. This could be because you keep getting constipation or you take medicines that make you constipated. Your doctor will advise you how long you need to take macrogol for and how much to take.

(Bolding mine.)

I'll stick with my advice: " . . . if this becomes a repeat problem, please don't keep relying on laxatives. See a doctor, or a registered dietitian. Over-use of laxatives, even mild-ish ones, can screw things up longer term."

If using Macrogol is the doctor's recommendation, that's one thing. If a person self-medicates and ends up causing negative effects (even rare ones) or masking a more serious condition, that's another.

Obviously if a person has diarrhea they won't take more laxatives. Hence no electrolite disbalance. Common sence is a thing.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,727 Member

* muscle spasms
    * twitching
    * a seizure or fit

(Bolding mine.)

Obviously if a person has diarrhea they won't take more laxatives. Hence no electrolite disbalance. Common sence is a thing.

That's making a big assumption. It's really common in the dieting community to use laxatives to "clean yourself out" and make your weight go down. People that do this are likely to have issues. Given that the op asks about constipation slowing weight loss, they could be teetering towards doing this. But yes, your average person would hopefully know not to over-use laxatives.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,453 Member
    Can constipation slow down my progress?

Yes!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    Just my personal experience: prunes, they are my go-to when things aren't moving along as needed, and they're yummy too. Thanks to my grandmother for that wisdom :smiley:
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    I added more fiber to my diet. I am regular now.
  • AnnPT77
    I added more fiber to my diet. I am regular now.

So glad there was a simple solution, and thanks for coming back to comment: I always wonder how things turn out for people who ask for advice here. Happy for you that the situation has improved!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    edited September 1
    I cleared up by IBS symptoms and constipation by changing to a low carb diet. Works for quite a few and the logic of adding more fiber doesn't actually make much sense when it comes to constipation, imo. Fiber seems to be the new religion though, so it's hard to be a contrarian, which I am. :)

https://wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v18/i33/4593.htm

CONCLUSION: Idiopathic constipation and its associated symptoms can be effectively reduced by stopping or even lowering the intake of dietary fiber.

• Eager2LoseLbs
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Just my personal experience: prunes, they are my go-to when things aren't moving along as needed, and they're yummy too. Thanks to my grandmother for that wisdom :smiley:

Yep, my mother taught me that too. My sister reminded me of it when I was severely constipated recently. The culprit was that I had more fat than fiber in my diet. I do not take fiber supplements. The fiber I eat is strictly from the necessary foods like vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, etc and grains and fruit). I should be adding prunes to
    that soon. I don’t over do it with the fruit though because of the natural sugar in them. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on prunes. 😊
  • Eager2LoseLbs
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

* muscle spasms
    * twitching
    * a seizure or fit

(Bolding mine.)

That's making a big assumption. It's really common in the dieting community to use laxatives to "clean yourself out" and make your weight go down. People that do this are likely to have issues. Given that the op asks about constipation slowing weight loss, they could be teetering towards doing this. But yes, your average person would hopefully know not to over-use laxatives.
    I had no choice but to use a laxative because I was severely constipated. I do NOT use laxatives for weight loss. I won’t be using laxatives now that I’m regular by eating the necessary foods. People shouldn’t make assumptions just because I asked that question. I really needed to know if constipation would slow my progress before hitting a Plateau.