Hello and where to begin

rl2010
rl2010 Posts: 15 Member
edited October 7 in Motivation and Support
I am back and at my last resort to get healthy. I’ve been up and down but it’s gotten to the point of being way too unhealthy. I have a ton of excuses that prevent me from doing anything but I still have to try before it’s too late.

Now at 307lbs. BMI 46.7, out of breath getting dressed or walking a few feet. I mean gasping for air. Back hurts when walking/standing so exercise is non existent. Been to the drs and it’s a waste of time.

Embarrassing moment was going to dinner this weekend and sat in a booth. Well I had to squeeze in and stomach was pushed in against the table. Very uncomfortable and disgusting.

I did keto last year and dropped 45 lbs in 5 months but gained it all back fast once I stopped. Keto IMO is not practical and especially when always eating out.

I don’t have the will or time to prepare to cook at home. I can not stand leftovers so pre-cooking will not work. Maybe a prepackaged food service could work. Maybe it’s not knowing how to cook or measure what to cook. Taking a chicken breast, throwing it in a pan with salt/pepper or maybe other spices equals cardboard with spices. Chicken buried in sauce/cheese is somewhat ok. I know not healthy. Do not eat most vegetables. And always in the run. Buying meat or defrosting meat at home and something comes up or won’t be home until late. The food ends up in the trash.

I still enjoy drinking alcohol a few nights a week to blow off steam/stress. I know it’s not
good but it is what it is for now.

I will try to do something but really don’t know how without getting more disgruntled and upset.

Any tips from others that have gotten down in this very dark place I put myself in?

Replies

• polly2hugs
    polly2hugs Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I just started AGAIN! How are you doing this week? I care. I am 79 year old married female. I have somewhat controlled diabetes. I have been on Ozempic for a while and it does lower my diabetes number, however, unlike all the hype about losing weight on it, it does not work that way for me! I weigh 176.6 today. Though that sounds great, I am 5' and a size 2x to 3x. If I can lower my weight, my diabetes numbers will come down without Ozempic. I need to eat less carbs.
  • Ronnie_happy2ranch
    Ronnie_happy2ranch Posts: 529 Member
    Join a challenge! Here's one that I'm doing for the Fall - the idea is to try to lose at least 5% of our weight over an 8 week period of time by healthy eating and exercise. This will be my 3rd challenge with this group and I've lost over 10 lbs so far this year; doesn't sound like a LOT, but it adds up and this was at least keeping it off for me. The group is very encouraging and helpful and it's fun to get to know others who are in the same boat. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/147090-2024-5-fall-challenge-community-team-we-would-love-to-have-you-join-us
  • rl2010
    Anyone have success with pre packaged meals? What are some ideas for great tasting meals that could satisfy me/relieve anxiety of counting/weighing/ worrying how to make it instead of ordering take out?

I am guessing my back and breathing issues are from way too overweight. Drs will not say either way after all the cardio, pulmonary, X-rays. I asked them is this due to being idle and they have no answers. Until I can relieve the weight I am guessing my back and cardio level will still be horrendous. I mean getting dressed and out of breath.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,896 Member
    rl2010 wrote: »
    Anyone have success with pre packaged meals? What are some ideas for great tasting meals that could satisfy me/relieve anxiety of counting/weighing/ worrying how to make it instead of ordering take out?

I am guessing my back and breathing issues are from way too overweight. Drs will not say either way after all the cardio, pulmonary, X-rays. I asked them is this due to being idle and they have no answers. Until I can relieve the weight I am guessing my back and cardio level will still be horrendous. I mean getting dressed and out of breath.

I don't have meal suggestions. (I've been cooking for so many decades that I found it somewhat easy to adapt.) But even some restaurants and even fast food places have calorie-appropriate options. It can take a bit of research to figure them out, but it may not be necessary to make a complete break from those sources right away.

A comment, from me as a formerly obese woman, though admittedly someone who was at a lower starting weight than you are: Being out of breath with mild exertion, as long as there's not a major disease state in the picture (COPD, other pulmonary disease, heart condition, etc.), can improve with even mild but consistent exercise.

Is there any type of movement you can do without increasing pain, even if only in small increments for now? Some common first exercises are walking, pool exercise (even just walking in water), chair exercise videos or classes.

I started being regularly active only after cancer treatment (surgery, chemotherapy, radiation), when I was very physically depleted. Over a period of 2-3 years, I became the supposedly mythical pretty-fit fat person, working out 6 days most weeks, and even competing athletically. That was several years before I lost weight. Quite a few recreational sports have divisions for people who are objectively overweight. That implies to me that weight alone isn't necessarily a total barrier to improving fitness.

I've known multiple women here who started around your weight, and began being active very, very gradually and eventually achieved quite significant fitness improvement from that, in parallel with weight loss, but more improvement than weight loss alone would have brought them. I recall one who could walk to the end of her driveway without resting, but worked on doing that as a first stage, then would add small, challenging but manageable increases when she could. Eventually, she was able to walk a 10k race, and with weight loss even jog/run. I'm not saying that specific method/activity would work for you, just trying to illustrate that small, manageable (but mildly challenging) changes can lead to big improvements, with patience, persistence, and time.

Best wishes!
  • Bloodroot11
    Bloodroot11 Posts: 6 Member
    For me (not suggesting, just how I mentally operate now) I had to learn to like and love myself more in order to get over the "hump" of motivation and commitment to health and fitness. I know that is a whole other thread and topic, but that's where it started for me.

My first real step was to think of food as nourishment instead just food or entertainment. Cutting out all things bad for me was enlightening because after a few weeks (and I started to lose weight immediately without counting calories) I was no longer thinking of food the way I used to.

Cravings went away, and I gained a craving to nourish instead of feed or eat. For me, it had to start with diet and creating better habits. Small victories, allow yourself to fail and get right back on that horse. Maybe even just going with "best practices" at first with diet and exercise (no hard-line constraints that set us up for certain failures).

I've been exactly where you are. I know exactly how it feels. The only real failure that can identify you is not starting. Get started, no matter how small, and make small victories and build upon them. The smiles happen along the way, encouraging yourself to do just a little more.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited October 12
    Changing can feel impossible, but it is possible. One way or another we take another step to find what works for us. And, to find time and good food to eat, same with exercise - kinds we can do/eat, that we also like is so much more enjoyable.

Food service programs are an option. Or a trip to the grocery to stock up on some basic 'go to' pre-made items or easy things like frozen veggies, cheesesticks single serve bananas, pre-made bag salads or veggie trays.

Then build on that with new to you things you try/cook and enjoy...

Feeling like we can't gets truly discouraging, so choosing to try might come down to consciously choosing to try, over and over, each morning, at meals, when extra foid is available to have some instead of a whole feast...

Takes time to practice and build a healthy routine, so, don't quit and the scale will follow... Choose it. Believe it and keep going... you can...
  • Adventurista
    edited October 12
    Regarding bland chicken/foods, totally get it.

Are you able to grill/smoke foods? It adds a lot of flavor and can control for salt.

We like to grill up a pan of spiced chicken and beef, then use it later for street tacos, add into salad or soups, serve with taters and a veggie, what not.

Also grill up sweet onion and bell pepper strips to use as toppers...

cvr5t64iap74.jpg
  • rl2010
    edited October 13
    I do have a smoker and grill but usually don’t have time to use it. Need a few to many hours to smoke some meat. Do not like leftovers for the most part as the meat is dried out the next day. So was thinking maybe prepackaged may be better. Cooking a bunch of chicken or steak then freezing portions to reheat in the microwave just does not do it for me. I would just throw it out. Typically something always comes up so planning ahead is always a challenge. Example we can plan on cooking tomorrow night, say we get some steaks or chicken breasts, some fresh vegetables. Then something will come up and then will not be home until late the next few nights. This almost always equals throwing the meat purchased for tomorrow in the trash as it spoils.

Have frozen uncooked meat requires time to defrost before cooking. And planning. Something that is very challenging. Cooking a full meal at 10 at night is not ideal.

Was thinking of prepackaged but in the end they are probably processed junk as well. The amount of food we buy and throw out as something always comes up is allot.

Maybe no carb again will help short term. Last time I dropped 47 lbs and gained back 60. Probably the start of making my breathing/fitness worse.

I am down to a single pair of jeans now as none of the others fit. Throwing them in the good will tomorrow. All of my winter shirts for work don’t fit, more for good will. So I have to buy 4x shirts now.

This does not help the fact my health/ability to move (get dressed), walk up the stairs is brutal and gasping for air. I need to get that improved asap or what’s the point for any of this. I am now at the point I don’t want to go anywhere as I can’t walk without gasping for air, no clothes fit. Just a disaster.
  • Adventurista
    edited October 13
    Hubby does our grilling; charcoal briquets with woodchips, but imagine gas is quicker more like stovetop searing and pan frying. Dad had a pellet contraption, although not sure what there.

We use convenience foods in a pinch, rotisserie chicken, deli meats, precut veggies, fresh fruits, individual servings of what not, frozen.

Or research healthy takeout options. We pick up greens and bentos, sub type sandwiches, they can do keto type salads, pizza places often offer meatballs..

everyone's preferences are different, so hopefully you'll find strategies that work for you.

Deciding to is a great place to start.
  • rl2010
    edited October 13
    Another example. Tonight we will not be home from 4 until 10. That means takeout or fast food crap. If I cooked steaks or chicken at noon. Put in the fridge they will be cardboard at 10.

What dry foods (healthy) would you stock up on that could be easily cooked in a few minutes when I am always on the run, not pasta as that is carb loaded and part of how I got to this point. I don’t want to rely on the refrigerator for food as I stated earlier so much is wasted.

Or how to brainwash myself to eat a bag of salad without dressing and be satisfied.
  • Adventurista
    edited October 13
    I tend to use most of my carbs on non-starchy veggies, fruits like berries and tsngerines or grapefruit. Craisins.

Other foods
    Low carb, keto friendly.
    Individual serving packages of cheese, nuts, greek yogurt with protein powder.

Pre-bagged salads, pre-cut veggies or frozen

Keto friendly low carb Dressings - ranch, salsa with sour cream.

Quick proteins rotisserie chicken, quality lunch meats and cheeses

Pickles/d asparagus, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, pepperoncinis

Grain - quinoa used instead of rice, has a higher protein.

Other, protein powder (i use chocolaye whey in morning coffee), tuna, eggs,

Broth or dry bouillon on hand.

A quick soup with broth, cup non-starchy frozen veggie, tbsp dry quinoa, spice with onion, garlic, blackened seasoning, italian blend. Bring to boil, then simmer about 5 min. When about done, stir in 1 or 2 eggs.

Quick wraps of sliced lunchmeats and cheese around pickles/asparagus, drizzled ranch.

A typical Keto approach would be 70% fats, so ranch fits there, and mayo, 20% protein, rest is carbs up to 50g for the day (some as low as 20g/day)

Personally, i prefer a low carb approach with 4 meals, 15 - 25 g of carb per meal, and then roughly a 50/50 split between protein & fats thereabouts targets but not rigid.

There was a book i read awhile back called The Spectrum by Dean Ornish. The main gist is think of decisions on a line (the spectrum) and your choices lined up from left to right... the choices get better and healthier the more you choose to the right.

That is not always possible, so.... make a good choice for you this one decision from the options available that is also good for you emotionally. That's it.

Make the decision, that ends it. No guilt. There are a gazillion decisions ahead, you will make 1 at a time, depending on your choices available to you then.

We moved and lived in a motel with a tiny fridge, microwave kitchenette for quite awhile. We used convenience foods and drive thru take out quite a lot, and it took some effort for sure to find some better choices.

For example bento bowls we had them swap the rice for double veggies. It was totally worth it though to go from gaining weight to losing weight....

not as fun as feasting for surr, but there is a place where food helps our body and is enjoyable... the trick is exploring what can do that...

Or not. That is also a choice, and simply up to you to do it. Do it or don't. I'm thinking you can... you did before.... go for you!
  • Lady_Magenta
    Lady_Magenta Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 13
    I hear you! I feel you!
    I hope we can motivate and help each other. So far I am pretty lonely here -totally.

I got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes recently and the doctor's scale showed 348 pounds that day. I made a deal with my doctor. I have until December to get my sh** together, or I will be put on diabetes medication. Ironically, the same medication so many use now for weight loss is the medication I refuse to be on.

I got fat on my own, I will take care of it. I have some issues. Emotional eating! Binge eating! Overeating! I never had a healthy relationship with food; I suppose the root is somewhere in my childhood. But it doesn't matter. I am the solution! :-)

I started a new lifestyle on September 5th, and 43 days later, I have lost 18.6 pounds, and my glucose ratings in the morning are normal. I had blood work done last Monday and asked to add my A1C to it, even though I knew it would show the number for the last three months. To my surprise, my A1A is already down from 6.7 (August) to 5.7 (October 7th).

I have cut out all added sugar, but I eat fruits every day. I have quit eating gluten and dairy (for health reasons, I have an autoimmune disorder).

I will continue my journey but I hope I won't be alone. I had signed up on 'LoseIt' but people there are not active and too many use Ozempic and other injections.

I prefer the old-fashioned way. I have over 100+ to lose and I will do it in stages lol
    1. I want to be under 300 by xmas
    2. I want to be at 250 at the 4th of July 2025
    3. I want to be under 200 by Christmas 2025.

I will achieve it all! I have to. It's time!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,194 Member
    Hi. I was 220 pounds when I had my revelation. I couldn't get into a bathing suit I had bought the year before because I couldn't get into the bathing suit I bought the year before that. I also developed diabetes. I came here and lost 50 pounds but gained back 30. Again I had a recent revelation and came back to MFP.

It will like be a tougher task since you don't really want to cook and don't like most vegetables. What do you eat when you are out? In a way, you are fortunate.....you don't have diabetes while I do. I have to count carbs and calories. I can't do keto either. My Endocrinologist says everything in moderation, so that is my mantra. I do eat just about everything but I watch how much I eat to stay within my numbers. But my goal is get off insulin....having to shoot that 5 or more times a day is frustrating.

I can do some walking but any movement is helpful....even doing chair exercises while you watch TV. I have a stationary bike in my living room, too. I used to use one of those little trampolines but ever since I had a kidney stone, I can't bounce.....feels too uncomfortable. But it was fun to bounce to music.

I eat salads with dressing....and not diet dressing. I fit it into my numbers. Sometimes I substitute salsa when I make a taco salad with homemade taco meat. I eat a lot of eggs, too, and I mix them hardboiled with canned salmon and salad dressing. I tend to avoid bread, of course, but not completely. ...I will still make the occasional sandwich. And I make French toast instead of pancakes. I used Walden's Pancake syrup on top.....one of the few diet foods I use.

I can't think of any dry foods that aren't carb heavy. But one of my favorite take out foods is a salad from Saladworks. Also Chinese....the rice isn't necessary.

I tried Ozempic, which I can easily get because I am diabetic, but after 9 weeks I had to stop....the side effects were too much. So I am losing weight the old fashioned way.
    again.

It can be done. And once your appetite lessens, it will be even easier. The problem lies in not being ready. I came back here three times, supposedly determined, only to fail. This time I really am ready. No excuses....either I NEED to do this or I don't. And I do. And it's working. It may take longer because I am older and a diabetic, but again, NO excuses. I am 70 years old and I want the time I have left to be healthy and long. And I am sure you do too. 🙂
  • rl2010
    edited October 13
    The foods I do eat now.

Takeout dining out
    - Chicken/veal/shrimp (breaded) Parmesan and pasta
    - Any pasta with sauce
    - Mexican enchiladas, chips/salsa rice and beans
    - Pizza
    - Fresh Deli sandwiches (not cold cuts at home) lunches
    - Steak here and there
    - Chinese takeout (boneless ribs, lomein)
    - Fast food here and there. (One good think is I have lost the urge for fries or fried food some how)

Home meals lately
    - pasta meatballs/sausage sauce
    - Hamburgers on rolls. (Burgers need bread)
    - Occasional one in a blue moon steak
    - Jambalaya (lots of rice)

Years ago we used to cook more outside and when it was warmer but winter is coding. I hate the cold
    And cooking in the dark.

Used to cook, smoked chickens, steaks, ribs, grilled fish. No ambition anymore let alone the time to do that.

Foods I do like but just don’t know how to make them healthy and freezable to be able to be microwaved cooked in 10-15 minutes when we get home late.

Beef, pork (if not dried out), chicken if buried in sauce ( defeats the purpose of healthy eating) and dried out,
    All fish but don’t cook it at home indoors
    Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, corn, onions, celery, lettuce, beans at times,

Menu is pretty bland. My wife eats less variety then me which also leads to eating out to get a meal for me instead of making it at home.

I do drink alcohol many nights. I have tried to cut back on the heavy carbed beers but will have vodka sodas or straight bourbons.

I have been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome x. Meaning diabetes is coming.

My sugars have been good except last round was at 200. Cholesterol 220, triglycerides 450.
  • Crochetluvr
    My late fiance and I lived together before he died. He wanted to eat out every night...and I am a decent cook. He even got me the new gas stove I wanted but it didn't matter. Eating out with him every night was what made me balloon up to 220....I wasn't that when I met him. He died one morning of a heart attack while sitting in his office chair at work.

You DON'T want to be diabetic....believe me! You don't want to be shooting up insulin all the time. It's not a cure. Once you are diabetic, you are diabetic for life. And don't let anyone tell you they are not diabetic anymore....that is total BS. That's like an alcoholic saying they are cured. They are only controlling the disease. There is no cure for diabetes. And it only gets worse as time goes on. I didn't start out on insulin....I took oral meds until that wasn't enough anymore.

It's rare if I have a glass of wine....maybe once every few months. I stopped drinking hard liquor many years ago. And I never liked beer, thank goodness.

Reading your list of foods you eat, I can see that you will have to make drastic changes. A lot of foods get their flavor from fat. Now you need to get flavor from seasonings instead. And the obvious.....limiting the white carbs. Not cutting them out entirely but everything in moderation. Smaller portion sizes. I could eat half a large pizza if had the chance, but I can't do that anymore.

You know what you have to do.....you AND your wife. This has to be done together. If you are truly set on changing your life, you can do it. Make an appointment with a dietician....they can help you figure out the foods you can eat and how to prepare them so they have the flavor you want. Bland isn't a prerequisite for homemade food. Get spices and seasonings at the grocery store. Look up marinades for chicken and beef....I make my own marinades all the time. You will find making food at home can be interesting to do.....experimenting with different things. Go for it.

• Adventurista
    edited October 15
    @rl2010 - i hear you, on all of it...

Personally, also would eat, drink and be merry every night if I could... and did, a lot! But, I also needed to make some changes, and knowing that, well, it did not make it magically fun or easy, but it mattered, so I started from scratch.

Threw out all the rules, and I started with just 2 things - 1st) eat enough, stop at enough... and not extra. 2nd) what can I eat that helps me that I also enjoy, explore that.

I hope others will share how they made the leap too, because there are a lot of people here who are working on it.

In the meantime, thought I would share something an MFP friend posted in a group, in case you can find some inspiration. They posted:

"Son (of an MFP friend) found this guy’s YouTube site. This is not fine dining. More a single guy commando food control approach. Interesting. Might try a few “recipes” especially on busy/lazy days."

https://www.youtube.com/@FontyFitness/shorts
  • rl2010
    Thank you all. I know I have to do something and fast. Been having weird feelings/aches that come and go over the past few weeks. Just not right.

Would like to also find out what overnight/morning congestion is coming from to get a good night sleep and not be winded standing in the shower. Maybe some inflammation/allergic something but it’s every night. Maybe it’s just being 120 lbs overweight.

Will try to find some meals that satisfy me that are low in calories. And maybe that will start me off until I can walk normal and. It feel like there is no air and my back is not exploding.
  • Crochetluvr
    It sounds like you are ready to take control...that's great!

I have a shower bench. It's made of teak, so it's waterproof...not plastic so it doesn't look like you are in a hospital. I don't use it all the time....just when I really feel the need. In fact now I mostly use it to put a foot on to raise my leg up to shave it. You, of course don't have that issue. 😉

Talk to a doctor as well...rule out anything causing the congestion besides your weight. I know Dr's can be a pain, but you know how many I see now? Five. And I have referrals to see 2 more. Getting healthy is the best way to avoid seeing doctors more than necessary.

Good luck on your journey and DO post your progress and if you need support! That's what these groups are all about.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,896 Member
    It sounds like you are ready to take control...that's great!

I have a shower bench. It's made of teak, so it's waterproof...not plastic so it doesn't look like you are in a hospital. I don't use it all the time....just when I really feel the need. In fact now I mostly use it to put a foot on to raise my leg up to shave it. You, of course don't have that issue. 😉

Talk to a doctor as well...rule out anything causing the congestion besides your weight.

I 100% agree.

I do find, though that in myself, I tend to have a little more congestion if I do things that are pro-inflammatory, and being substantially overweight is definitely pro-inflammatory. I have less of quite a few minor annoying pains and symptoms since weight loss.

Other things that are pro-inflammatory: Poor nutrition, no exercise, smoking, stress, sleep disorders, long term alcohol consumption, and more.

But I'd also say that it's especially important to see a doctor if you have "weird feelings/aches that come and go over the past few weeks. Just not right."

That "just not right" intuition is important. Ask your doctor for blood tests that could highlight nutrient deficiencies, infections, etc. Consider whether you could be hypothyroid, have a sleep disorder (sleep apnea?) or something like that, and ask for relevant follow-up.

Even in people who haven't developed disease conditions yet, obesity is a major health risk factor. Please try to get some baseline data about where your health is now, because some of it can be actionable through diet changes or other manageable interventions.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm trying to get you to think of ways in which your medical team can be an ally in your health improvement efforts. Also, getting some metrics now will help you recognize improvements in various health markers as you lose weight and are able to be more active.

I know Dr's can be a pain, but you know how many I see now? Five. And I have referrals to see 2 more. Getting healthy is the best way to avoid seeing doctors more than necessary.

Good luck on your journey and DO post your progress and if you need support! That's what these groups are all about.