October Challenge – Leslie Sansone Walking Team (SWAT)

Options
Hello, Fellow Walkers.

We are a small group of walkers who use the Leslie Sansone walks for our exercise routine and who post our progress and support each other in meeting monthly walking goals. Although originally a walking group, SWAT has evolved into a very open, free-style support group. Some walk, some do strength training, and some of us mix it up. Everyone has different schedules and is at varying levels on their weight loss journeys so you set your own goals. The only one you are competing against is yourself.

If you’d like to join, just introduce yourself and / or post your goals for the month. Check in as often as you can, daily, weekly, whatever works for you.

The SWAT Walking Team originally stood for Sansone Walking Team (after the Walk Away the Pounds originator) and the name stuck. For those of you not familiar with Walk Away the Pounds, they are walking workouts by Leslie Sansone. There are four easy moves to each workout (walk in place, kicking, knee lifts, and side steps), and most workouts offer modified movements for a beginner or someone who needs a less strenuous walk. They range from one mile (about 15 minutes) to five mile (about 80 minutes) walks and can be done in your living room right in front of your TV or computer. They are available at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. They also can be rented from Netflix or downloaded from the Internet, and some cable providers have them available in the Free Zone.

I found this group about a year ago, and it has helped to keep me on track (and accountable!) with regular exercise. My October goal is to walk for 60 miles for the month (an average of two miles per day). Hope to walk and support along with you this month!

Elaine

exercise.png

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: I'll be back in October!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join. I like to mix my workouts up with strength & yoga, but my primary cardio is walking DVDs. Leslie is great - she keeps me consistant! My goal is 40 miles for October.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Here we go again Kathy and Elaine! You two have been our stalwart members for the last month. I promise I will be around a lot more this month. Hope Sandy will join us. I am sticking to two miles a day until my joints feel better and will add in as I can.
  • SUSANB37
    SUSANB37 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do this. My goal for October is 40 miles.
  • tn37302
    tn37302 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my first time using a forum. I would like to try to reach 40 miles for October. Thanks!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Elaine for starting the thread. I'm still here, I'm just trying to figure out how to get my head back in the game. I don't know whats wrong with me but I still want to get back on track. I know that I am the only one keeping me from doing that right now. I'll try to do better this month.

Jenny, I'll be saying a prayer for you. It's so hard to deal with life's challenges sometimes. But remember we are here for you when you need us. We'll all be thinking about you.

I'll give some thoughts to what I'm going to do about my goals this month. I'll post later!

Thanks again Elaine! :flowerforyou:
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join the SWAT group :-)

I'm relatively new to MFP and have just recently started to log my food/exercise. To start off with, I have been using the Leslie Sansone's 1, 2, 3, and 4 mile challenge dvd. It's all in one, which is nice and I started with 1 mile this last monday and have been doing the dvd every night- just about 1 or 2 miles and last night I was able to do the 4 mile challenge. I modified some of the moves so I didn't put too much of a strain on my right knee. I have hopes to do at least 2 to 4 miles per day using her dvd and would be happy to be apart of the Walking Team.
  • constancemwj
    Options
    Hi walkers,
    I'm so glad to find you all still here. :bigsmile:
    I hope you haven't forgotten me, I sort of fell off the end of the world the last half of summer...with work and traveling alot. Life sort of went crazy. and I just stopped logging all together. but tried to keep up with my walking. I know I do better when I log in here. so I'm back looking for support to keep me more accountable again. My goal for Oct. is 50 miles.
  • tn37302
    tn37302 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1.75 miles for today 10/1/11 - off to a good start for me.
    If you have time - how do y'all get the cute miles trackers.
    Thanks and good luck!
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    I have a goal of 50 miles for this month, as well as following the ACE Kickstart Workout Plan (mostly core and strength).

I have been having a real problem with my eating and my weight has crept up well past my ticker weight.:sad: I just am having a rough time when it comes to food. I am refocusing and going to stick to 1800 HEALTHY calories a day. I know I can do this, so, here I go!

I'm also going to try the walking ticker again. Now to remember to update it!

ETA: I updated my ticker. It wasn't easy but I needed to do it!
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Welcome to October! It's great to see returning friends and meeting new friends. I just finished the Five Mile Slim Down. Not only was it a good way to start the month, I overindulged last night with chips and cheesy refried beans at a Mexican food restaurant. It's amazing how many calories are in tortilla chips (the one indulgence I haven't been able to give up, although I don't eat them near as often as I used to) :tongue:

Sandy - no problem on starting the thread; it was the least I could do after you have done it for the past year! MFP and setting a fitness goal each month has really helped me stay on track (even with the occasional indulgence!). :bigsmile:

tn - you can make a ticker at a variety of sites; I found TickerFactory.com and have used it for the past year.

Good luck, Everyone. Make it a successful and healthy month!

exercise.png
  • Lindsey_81
    Lindsey_81 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone!!! Her DVD's helped me lose the first 30 lbs and then life got crazy looking for and buying my first house and I gained some back. I am back on track now and look forward to this challenge.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    My name is Dana. I just set a challenge for myself to do 150 miles this month using the DVDs! So far I did the 4 mile walk this morning. So 4 down, 146 to go!
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    Well, I didn't get much walking in yesterday. I did, however, get my room rearranged, which included a lot of lifting and pushing, pulling, etc.

Now I need to finish sorting things and then vacuum the floor. Then I'll be ready for a workout as I will have more room. All my videos are now right by the dvd player and so much easier to use!

Have a great day, everyone!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new walkers!

I've been cleaning and doing laundry all day but I made myself stop and do the WATP 5-mile Fat burning workout. I'll probably be sore tomorrow but I was relieved to see I could still make it through a 5 miler. I've been slacking too long. I've also decided to go back to tracking my exercise by the miles. The only thing I ever do thats not a WATP is the jenny ford step thingie and I'll just count it as 3 miles when I do it.

Now it's time to go wash that gray right outta my hair! :laugh:
  • Luneytoonz
    Luneytoonz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    OK After missing the better part of this year, I will try to get back into my fitness routine. I'm not going to do anything unrealistic so I'll choose 25 miles for this month. I hope to do more, but I don't want to be discouraged or feel it's out of reach. Let's do this!!! Good luck to everyone! Patti
  • AZChatterB
    Options
    Welcome back, Patti. Glad to see everyone has set a goal for October and working toward it. I went to the Cardinals game today (we lost! - as did the Diamondbacks; bad day for AZ sports teams) but decided to keep with my goals and did the 3 Fast Miles tape when I got home. I'm also happy to report that while my friends ate hotdogs and chips at the game, I had a salad; it's so nice that the ballparks/stadiums/arenas sell healthy choices (although they certainly charge more for them -- $8 for the chopped salad). I'm also happy to say that for the first time in two weeks, my food diary has been under my calorie goals. A good day all around.

Have a good week. Keep on walkin'! :smile:

exercise.png
  • AZChatterB
    Options
    Oops... I have to take back the comment about having my Food Diary come in under goal: I forgot to log an apple and an Orowheat sandwhich thin, so once again, I was over. I know I'm eating healthier, but I sure am finding it harder to stay within the 1220 calories allotted for a one pound per week weight loss. :grumble: That's why keeping up with my exercise is so important. :bigsmile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm off to a pretty good start - hopefully I won't fizzle!

Sat - Power Walk w/Friends (2 M)
    Sun - 2 Miles from Leslies new 5 Really Big Miles
    Mon - lunchtime Cardio Slim Down (ExerciseTV freebie) 1 M
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Im In. may be its late but ill try to compensate