Best Protein Shake

Options
I'm trying to supplement my meals with a protien shake, and looking for any sugggestions.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is my favorite brand.. I feel they have the best flavors, tastes, and consistency.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sequel Vega line. Do a google search on them and see if they will work for you. I love the sport protien in chocolate and mix it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar is my favorite.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No one can really answer this -- it took me ages to find the ones I loved because I thought everything people suggested tasted like crap --- I HATE syntrax nectar fruity ones -- but I like the chocolate and latte but lots of people told me try it. Yuck.

Your best bet is to try samples...you can order samples all over the place. You can also buy from GNC/Vitamin Shoppe and they let you return if you don't like it.

I won't even mention the ones I buy since taste is so subjective -- but I look for pure whey protein isolate, no artificial sweeteners and little to no carbs. My typical shake is about 140 calories, 1g carb, 27g protein

The one I do buy when I want to indulge is CLICK -- espresso protein. I love it so much I put a scoop is almost all of my shakes just for the coffee flavor -- or I just mix my protein shakes with cold decaf, almond milk, sf creamer etc -- better than starbuck.

If you like fruity -- diet v8 splash and crystal are great mixers.

Most protein doesn't taste all that good just mixed with plain water.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is my favorite brand.. I feel they have the best flavors, tastes, and consistency.

I 2nd this. I've used the strawberry and now using the milk chocolate. High protein, low carbs and has amino acids for recovery.

GNC online has it for pretty cheap. Don't buy in store. The Whey protein is alot easier on my stomach. Less farts. haha
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    MissMaryMac33 is absolutely right! Everyone's tastes are different. You can get lots of free samples...I'd try that. Personally, after trying about a zillion different things, I go to Costco and purchase the meal replacement 100% Whey pre-mixed shakes by Premier. 160 calories, 6 carbs and 30 grams of protein per 11 ounces. I have one for breakfast every day and I will have one as a snack if I am low on protein for the day or need a low carb snack at the end of the day. I have been drinking them for almost a year now and, so far, have not gotten sick of them.

As a lapband patient, they are a critical staple for me. I also purchased the 100% whey protein powder from Bariatric Advantage and really loved the banana and strawberry, but it is so much more convenient to just stop by Costco. EAS is another brand and I have purchased the powder and pre-mixed shakes, but didn't like them as much as Premier or Bariatric Advantage, so my husband drinks them. Lots of people in my support groups love the lite version of Muscle Milk. I have a box of it sitting on the floor because the chocolate flavor is too dark for me and it has the taste of coconut, which is not appealing to me.

I love not worrying about my breakfast anymore. I look forward to my shake every day! But, there are LOTS of things you can make with a good vanilla or unflavored protein power....mixing them with fruit, you can make all kinds of delicious smoothies. If you check out some of the bariatric surgery support sites, there are tons of great low calorie/low carb recipes. Just because they were intended for surgery patients doesn't mean they are not great for people just improving their overall health and diet!

Best of luck to you!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure, it's carb and sugar free which suits me. I mix it with milk, banana, peanut butter,chocolate powder and Ice. I don't think it tastes all that great, but I don't think any of them taste that great. Mixed with other stuff makes it easier to swallow and I add some sweetner if it's needed, but a banana is usually enough. :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Right now I have ON Nitrocore 24, it's a combination of casein and whey proteins. It's more for people looking to bulk up, I believe, but it's a high protein count (24g per scoop) and I use it either to replace a meal entirely (usually breakfast) or as a post-workout drink to help w/ muscle recovery.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Best brand in my opinion, it mixes easily in a shaker cup, doesn't get clumpy or taste chalky. I love the chocolate flavors, never tried the others. They have whey protien and oats and whey which is what I use now.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Completely relative. You have to try around but it never hurts to start with the one most (including myself) will recommend: Optimum Nutrition: Gold Standard. I've tried TONS and they all range from waaaay to foamy, or have the consistency of tar, or the flavor is just bad... This is my favorite as well. There's a reason it's the number one seller on bodybuilding.com
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Right now I have ON Nitrocore 24, it's a combination of casein and whey proteins. It's more for people looking to bulk up, I believe, but it's a high protein count (24g per scoop) and I use it either to replace a meal entirely (usually breakfast) or as a post-workout drink to help w/ muscle recovery.

Double post I know... Sorry.
    :(

The point of combining the whey and casein proteins is simple: whey protein is fast acting and breaks down with your amino acids faster to boost muscle recovery and casein protein is a slower releasing protein to keep you fuller, longer while helping your bodies nitrogen retention. Whey is best taken immediately before or after workouts but casein is best taken between meals or even right before bed to help maintain an anabolic state. By combining them together you get a solid meal replacement that also acts fast to recover damaged muscle tissue if you take it immediately after a workout. So you get the benefits of not needing to eat quite as often from the casein but with the fast muscle building power of whey!
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of these http://eas.com/product/advantedge-carb-control-ready-to-drink they are low in cals, carbs, fat, no sugar and 17g of protein and they don't taste awful, I like the strawberry
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yasmin,
    I have tasted sooo many shakes and am very particular...I've tried about 12 different brands. The only shake that I actually like is JRobb. No artificial sugar (no apsartame, acsulfame), it's sweetened with stevia, no animal hormones, etc..I mix with either coconut milk or almond milk but any milk will do. There are samples that you can purchase at a vitamin or health food store. If you can't find it, just email me your address and I'll send you some sample packets. The flavors are choc, vanilla, and strawberry. They also have pina colada and orange cream, but those flavors do not come in the sample packs.

much love ♥
    Felicia
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I have to agree with cownancy. I get the shakes from Costco. They have vanilla and chocolate. Premier Nutrition High Protein. I have it in my coffee to get the protein. I can't drink coffee black, so this substitutes for my creamer and sweetener. I just add a little Stevia if it's not sweet enough.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I thank you all for your great suggestions!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS vanilla because it is $30 for 5lbs at Sams Club (and I'm pretty sure at Costco as well).
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really like the Body Fortress Chocolate from WalMart. You can't beat the price and it tastes great blended with skim milk and ice.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Hydrowhey by Gold Standard in turbo choc