Workout Before Breakfast = ???

Options
So I have heard several times and on different reports including one time where I saw Dr. Oz on one of the televisions at the gym that working out around 6:35am was the best time to work out and 7:35am was the best time to eat breakfast. So you are working out before you even really have anything you in stomach.

The question is: Should you eat like a piece of fruit, protein bar, or at least something small to have in your system after sleeping for 8-10 hours to help start your metabolism when you start working out? Or not?

Thoughts on Working Out and Breakfast?

Replies

• CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do morning runs on an empty stomach all the time - I perform better than having breakfast first.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning I don't have breakfast until after.

I don't have time to wake up, eat, and wait 1.5 hours before I workout and get to work!

If I worked out right after I ate I would probably puke all over the place.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Anytime is the best time to work out because you are working out and burning calories. I feel that you should definitely eat something before you exercise. I also think you should eat something with in an hour of waking up. Having breakfast will boost your metabolism especially if it involves fruit and or protein!!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    personally i can not eat before i workout. not even somethings small. it causes me to have severe cramps within five minutes of starting my workout and gets progressivly worse as my workout contuines. so i workout first this in the morning and then eat a high protein/fiber breakfeast. this works best for me but everyone is different
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    My trainer does that, too. She says the only thing you need to do is drink water before your workout. As long as you eat breakfast within 1-2 hours of getting up, it is supposed to be fine. I've tried it myself, but find I'm too creaky in the morning to get an effective workout. The days I did it, I did not notice any energy crash or adverse effects on my metabolism.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have learned the hard way, that I personally cannot workout before eating. I get dizzy and about pass out. When I was heavier, I could workout before eating....not anymore!
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    I usually work out before breakfast.... Sometimes that is the only time I have free. Like today I just came back from great run before any of my family even get up. I eat like couple strawberries beforehand or even piece of gum.
    Also like to go for a run before going to bed...sleep like a baby :)
  • TheDudette
    Options
    It depends on you. I get sick if I exercise on a completely empty stomach, so I'll have something super small like 1 slice of whole grain toast. My husband gets sick if he eats anything an hour before working out. You gotta figure out what works for your body. Best of luck!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    there is an ideal time to eat breakfast ????

whatever next !
  • rider777
    Options
    Do cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach...your body is hungery after 8 hours sleep and is in PRIME fat burning mode. Do not give it anything to eat before a run and you will be burning like crazy...then you have an hour after you run to refuel your body....its a very positive thing to do cardio on an empty stomach in the morning! I do it DAILY!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I can not eat before I workout. It makes me sick to my stomach and I do not perform well at all.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I perform better at anything on an empty stomach, exams, studying, exercising... i agree that if you could workout in the morning do it, cuz it gets your metabolism going and your body temp up so early.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Before my morning run I only drink a glass of 1% milk. I eat breakfast right after.
  • rcb722
    rcb722 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always run on an empty stomach too- eating before makes my tummy upset, but you have to find what works for you. On longer runs, I'll eat something smaller and dry, like a bagel. Lots of people eat bananas, but they don't work well for me. I'm up to run at around 530, and usually don't eat anything until around 730...
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always eat a little something before I work out, but that is just me, I can eat breakfast and go right to the gym and jump all around, and be fine lol.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My experience is that it depends on what I'm doing. If it's cardio, I don't usually eat anything and I still feel great. But when I do weights, I don't really feel like I'm doing my max if I don't eat something first and then work out an hour later. So you have to test your body out to see what works for you.
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think I work out better in the evening. I try to work out in the mornings but somehow my stomach keeps grumbling & throat feels dry (despite drinking a glass of water on waking up)..
  • FitnessDynasty
    Options
    Maybe a little extra information here:

I wake up around 8:00am every morning and I get to the gym around 8:45-9:15am. I work out for about 30-45 minutes in cardio (either running, the elliptical trainer, or a mix of both) and then between 30-45 minutes weight lifting. I feel by the time I'm done with my cardio I'm almost out of energy about 50% of the time before I get to the weights. So just trying to see how to increase my energy for that second part of my work out.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep them coming.
  • lefleri
    lefleri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only eat something before my weight-lifting days; I'm looking for energy to fuel my muscles during the hardest times, then I eat immediately after on those days.

Before cardio days, however, it's switched. I don't eat anything before or 30 minutes after. A lot of people can't do exercise on an empty stomach, but your body burns more calories since it doesn't have any immediate carbs/sugars to run off of so it feeds on fat. Then after cardio your body is still running excess post-exercise oxygen consumption and burning calories so it's best to wait and not immediately eat after cardio. There are plenty of studies on this; if you need them I'll see if I can find them.
  • FitnessDynasty
    Options
    Oh, and I always drink about 32 ounces of water before I get to the gym and finish a second 32 ounces of water by the time I finish my cardio 30-45 minutes into the work out.