Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Ok
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Personally I find that if I skip breakfast I more than make up for it later in the day, and usually with not nearly as healthy food. I need to spread my calories more.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This clearly shows how different people react differently to eating breakfast. The bottom line is cases can be made for both eating and not eating breakfast. It's all down to what works for you. I have breakfast, i eat more later. Some people eat breakfast, they eat less later on.

The only thing that remains constant is that calorie deficit is what makes weight loss, and that breakfast being the most important meal of the day from a biological standpoint is wrong. From a personal standpoint, how it may help you control calories later, it varies person to person.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It is an interesting concept that I disagree with. I guess one of the most interesting things is that in your statement you refer to losing weight but not long term weight loss/weight maintenance.

Another interesting concept is that health census information has shown that most people in the healthy weight range eat breakfast. Could be coincidence of course but interesting all the same :)
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    What's best depends on you. Ultimately you want a daily calorie deficit and eat healthy. Everyone's metabolism is different and in general, there's no stong evidence that shows eating breakfast reguarly is "best" for your metabolism. If skipping breakfast has an adverse affect on how you diet and your mood, then don't. If eating breakfast doesn't feel right for you, then there is no reason why have to eat it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I find when I have breakfast I feel ravenous again mid morning, but when I've missed breakfast I can easily wait until lunch without feeling like I'm starving. Very odd.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It is an interesting concept that I disagree with. I guess one of the most interesting things is that in your statement you refer to losing weight but not long term weight loss/weight maintenance.

Another interesting concept is that health census information has shown that most people in the healthy weight range eat breakfast. Could be coincidence of course but interesting all the same :)

It's an interesting concept because there are more people who eat breakfast because they *think* they are supposed to. Therefore you have more people overall eating breakfast, so of course you will have more healthy people regardless if it doesn't matter or not. People can eat a healthy breakfast, and then eat like crap the rest of the day.

Your arguement is invalid.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    :noway: I don't agree with skipping breakfast altogether....in fact, I eat a small breakfast, hit the workout, have some kind of post workout item..but I usually have a big lunch..but of course this is trial and error..I have learned what is best for me..so it depends on you..but if you skip breakfast..first and foremost..you are not able to think clearly as your body is trying to grasp at anything to keep it moving..

Again...the car thing.. if you drive on an empty gas tank..are you going to make it far? Of course not!..Your body needs fuel!!!

And no matter what time of the day/night you wake-up..that is considered your breakfast...therefore calling it "break fast", as your body is not eating during the time your sleeping.. Hope this helps you...
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    me personally think its a bad idea. u should have 3 balanced meals and a snack between meals as fruit
    Holding onto that idea may make you talk like Tarzan.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

How can my argument be invalid when I didn't argue anything? Just posted some interesting research results...
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    This clearly shows how different people react differently to eating breakfast. The bottom line is cases can be made for both eating and not eating breakfast. It's all down to what works for you. I have breakfast, i eat more later. Some people eat breakfast, they eat less later on.

The only thing that remains constant is that calorie deficit is what makes weight loss, and that breakfast being the most important meal of the day from a biological standpoint is wrong. From a personal standpoint, how it may help you control calories later, it varies person to person.
    Damn you for saying it WAY better than I did.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

It's an interesting concept because there are more people who eat breakfast because they *think* they are supposed to. Therefore you have more people overall eating breakfast, so of course you will have more healthy people regardless if it doesn't matter or not. People can eat a healthy breakfast, and then eat like crap the rest of the day.

Oh also, I'm not entirely sure that there are necessarily more people eating breakfast than not - although I agree that more people think they should (but we all know that doesn't necessarily equal doing it)
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    ..but if you skip breakfast..first and foremost..you are not able to think clearly as your body is trying to grasp at anything to keep it moving..

Maybe "you" are not able to think clearly, but I haven't found the case with me, and you can't presume that to be the case with the original poster.
    Again...the car thing.. if you drive on an empty gas tank..are you going to make it far? Of course not!..Your body needs fuel!!!

Here's the thing. If you had a full meal the night before, your "tank" won't be empty.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options

Your post is interesting.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've read many places the best thing is to get protein in your body within the first 15-30 minutes of waking up. Increases energy and boost metabolism.
  • backtoeden
    Options
    Ohh no breakfast is the best meal of the day. It replaces the energy and wakes you up from sleep. gets you started for the day. Alight breakfast is so much better than no bfast. Actually skipping any meal puts the body into starvation mode and it holds on to any other meal nin anticipation of more fast so eating regularly small meals or healthy snacks is better
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. I always eat breakfast. I wake up hungry. My hubby eats a late night snack and is never hungry in the morning.

I did a small experiment: when I ate breakfast (within an hour of waking up) everyday for a week (not changing anything in my workout or diet), I dropped more pounds than when I skipped breakfast for a week!!

Its said to be the most important meal of the day, and I agree. It jump starts your metabolism and gives you energy. But breakfast doesn't have to be something extravagant. Sometimes I just boil and egg and have some coffee, or I eat a piece of cheese (I know, heaven forbid!). If I don't eat breakfast, I don't feel the extreme hunger until about lunchtime, but that's because my metabolism is slowly starting up for the day. If I skip breakfast, I feel tired and sluggish! Its all up to you and what you feel!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ohh no breakfast is the best meal of the day. It replaces the energy and wakes you up from sleep. gets you started for the day. Alight breakfast is so much better than no bfast. Actually skipping any meal puts the body into starvation mode and it holds on to any other meal nin anticipation of more fast so eating regularly small meals or healthy snacks is better

assuming this is true (your body goes into "starvation mode" if you skip breakfast) how to explain the boost in metabolism for approx the first 48hrs during fasting?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

How can my argument be invalid when I didn't argue anything? Just posted some interesting research results...

You didn't even post any research lol. Where are your cited studies at? Oh wait, you didn't post anything.
  • budkid
    budkid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    dont do it!!

Get a good protein filled breakfast will keep your hunger down during the day.