Protein Shakes: What to add to them?

Options
I plan on drinking a protein shake after my workout and i was wondering if you guys have any advice on what acceptable to add to them.

My diet is literally going by the calories suggestion by my fitnesspal. Its been working so far but today i will be adding exercise with it.

Any tips would be appreciated. Mine is a chocolate flavor but other flavor ideas are welcomed.

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would add in a serving of veggies- like kale or spinach. But I like to think of shakes as an option to boost my veggie intake
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people adding bananas and or peanut butter. I just have mine with soy milk. Not all that creative lol
  • xhaller
    xhaller Posts: 95
    Options
    Bananas and peanut butter are good ideas.

Or a ton of fruit.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Pineapple :-)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I add water. Simple!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I would add in a serving of veggies- like kale or spinach. But I like to think of shakes as an option to boost my veggie intake

Why would you add a complex carb for a post workout shake? You simply want a simple carb to aid in transport of nutrients and replenish glycogen levels.

Good post workout shake and delicious
    - Choc whey
    - Skim Milk
    - Banana
    - Peanut Butter
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk and frozen berries! Makes it like a yummy thick milkshake without all the sugar and calories! And I use chocolate or vanilla protein; both taste great!

Peanut butter, banana & ice is also a yummy combo!
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    you can try, fruits, peanut butter, sugar free syrup, sugar free jello
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Why would you add a complex carb for a post workout shake? You simply want a simple carb to aid in transport of nutrients and replenish glycogen levels.

- Choc whey
    - Skim Milk
    - Banana
    - Peanut Butter

or I could have a serving of veggies for my overall health?
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ground flaxseed, maybe some spinach, greek yogurt, PB, skim milk....
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I always have one after I workout and this is what I USUALLY put in them. Sometimes I change it up a bit though...

Protein powder, almond milk, frozen fruit like raspberries and blueberries, a few slices bananna, a tsp or two of natural pb, spinach or kale, baby carrots and about 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've been adding in yogurt that is NOT homogenized along with whatever fruit, unsweetened almond milk and vanilla protein powder.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just drink it as is - most of the "add ins" I like - like bananas, peanut butter, chocolate - add a lot of calories that I rather spend on something else. So I have 20 grams of protein for 90 calories and rather eat a banana afterwards.
  • vpinion
    Options
    Here is my favorite Smoothie recipe: 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use Syntha 6), 1/2 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1 6 oz. carbmaster yogurt (kroger's) 1/2 cup skim milk. A total 26 grams of protein! and only 305 calories!!
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I get 100% whey protein.....if i get vanilla kind, i usually mix it with almond milk
    ive been getting chocolate now, so i'll mix that with my shakeology, or peanut butter, frozen strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango...anything..... yogurt, egg whites.....lots of ice
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots??? Hmm, never thought of adding those.

I add fruits, skim milk/almond milk/coconut milk to my vanilla whey - even spinach sometimes. If it's around breakfast I will add oats.

I have recently used chocolate whey, skim milk or coconut milk with a tsp of decaf instant coffee with ice for a frappe-ish drink.
  • allymorin
    Options
    mix with egg whites and cook on the pan :) mmmm
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

- Choc whey
    - Skim Milk
    - Banana
    - Peanut Butter

or I could have a serving of veggies for my overall health?

I would add the veggies to a shake as a snake at another time of day. The beauty of whey protein and having it post workout is that it gets to work quickly on muscle repair. Adding complex carbs slows that process down. So, you could just as easily eat a regular meal (non-shake) if you aren't trying to reap the benefits of whey protein.
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would also get some vanilla and then add frozen fruit like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries...you get the idea. The dark-colored fruits are very high in the stuff your body needs and it makes it delicious! So, skim milk + yogurt + protein + frozen fruit. Yummy goodness!
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    I do mine in a blender. 2-3 ice cubes, 3/4 cup of fat free milk, 1 scoop of chocolate protein mix and usually a banana but sometimes strawberries or natural peanut butter.