What the h^ll is better than candy and cigarettes? (Seriousl

Options
I've eaten *some* candy every day since forever and am trying to cut out refined sugar and white flour....While simultaneously quitting smoking.

Basically I'm going insane. I've been trying to ride through the cravings with gum and diet sodas but I read aspartame makes sugar cravings worse! Broke down and ate a bunch of my friend's frosted miniwheats while I was at her house. I'm at that point. It's sad.

Any suggestions for good sugar alternatives? My friend said snap peas and I nearly hit her. I want a gummy candy and a Marlboro!!! Helppppp

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I won't tell anyone if you quit one thing at a time.

It may be easier to make it stick if you quit one thing, and then the other later. Instead of ending up still addicted to both cause you can't quit them both at once.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Same here, i quit smoking 2 months ago and decided to stop with my Coffee intake as of saturday,hasnt hit me yet, but it will!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    try quitting one at a time. i would say candy first.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Try sugar-free gum or check the nutrition section of your local walmart/pharmacy. They have diabetic candies/treats that are no-sugar added. Fairly low-cal and come in nearly evey candy type (chocolate, peanutbutter, coconut, butterscotch, gummies, sour things)
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    wellbutrin for the nico-cravings & pickles kill sweet cravings...and plz don't kill me:sick:
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    I use stevia... I just quit smoking 5 weeks ago...went to a hypnotherapy session with my friend, a private one, not in a bar lol. Has worked really well for both of us, just really took the edge off:) Was $150 each for 2 sessions...something to check out if you are having a hard time! Good luck!
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try making green smoothies to end the sugar cravings. The cravings are a sign that your body needs vitamins and minerals, not candy. You can google green smoothie girl for recipe ideas.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Gala Apples, We like fresh Sugar Snap peas as well. Silk Drk chocolate Almond milk. 35 cals a cup and makes great popsicles. (molds at wal-mart) Hershey's special dark mini bars, only 73 cals per little bar.
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would pick one thing at a time to quit...they are both very big addictions....
  • ginjanija
    ginjanija Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not a big candy person but i am a smoker and in process of quiting for the 2nd time, the 1st was so much easier but, try some extra dessert gum and go for a walk. The gum is good and will help the sweet tooth and walking will take your mind off the smoke!! But if all else fails pick one or the other just not both
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Nothing is better.

But you know that you need to quit the cigs permanently and candy should not be a regular thing.

Sorry - but it's worth it! October 1st I have been one year since I quit - you can do it, too!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    wellbutrin for the nico-cravings & pickles kill sweet cravings...and plz don't kill me:sick:

Pickles? Really? Sweet pickles? Or any pickles? Somehow I don't see myself enjoying a pickle when I'm craving chocolate!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ok, don't swing!! Instead of veggie snacks try fruit since they have sugar, munch on grapes or strawberries. If you just need to have something to chew on try cherrios or 100 calorie popcorn, something you can just slowly eat that isn't high calorie.
    I don't like diet sodas but i love the zero calorie waters or the mio water flavors. good luck!!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Honestly........I think I'd give up one at a time - cigarettes first. Give in to the candy if you have to give in to something. Just don't give in to the cigarettes!! When you get past the nicotine cravings, then gradually cut back on the sugar. THEN swap the white flour out for whole grains.

The cigarettes can and probably should be stopped cold turkey. If you have stopped those, congratulations and keep it up. But have a little chocolate. Take a small bite, savor it, see how long you can make it last.....then one more bite. Close your eyes and concentrate on it and enjoy it. Then stop and save the next bite or two for 3 hours.

You can get through this without making yourself crazy.
  • Dblackie
    Options
    I discovered Balance Bars. They are low glycemic and I count the calories on my calorie counter. Satisfies my sugar fits.

For the smoking, try brushing your teeth and gargling with Listerine after every meal.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear! That sounds pretty tough. Personally, I think giving up two different habits at once is a recipe for failure. Start with the cigs, and then worry about the sugar. One thing at a time, Sweetie! Slow and steady winds the race, and all that. Why don't you distract yourself in Candyland for a bit till your solid on your feet with the smoking. Snort it up in lines off a mirror if need be! No need to *kitten* with your body chemistry so much all at once.

When you do get to quitting sugar, I have a few ideas. I've had to quit sugar completely for about a month, and now I'm slowly letting it back in to see how I react to it. (I've had adrenal fatigue, and that's part of the deal). The cold turkey thing works really well for me as long as I know that its only for a limited time. Now, returning to sugar, I find moderation is a hell of a lot easier, and I let myself have a little sweet stuff once or twice a day, in small amounts. I may never get to have coffee again, though, and I think I may have to throw a little memorial service for Coffee and our star-crossed love...

On the other end, just try limiting it to a certain number of indulgences per day. Gradually decrease that number, but always keep a little room for those treats you love. And please go slap that woman who suggested snap peas. What?!
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I've actually been using one of the e-cigrettes, it's allowing me to take what I need when I need it, but I find that without the thing burning and just taking a hit when the urge hits and it's getting less and less as I go on, plus I play with it in my hand when I start feeeling twitchy. It might help.
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I Quit Smoking two month ago.about the Same Time i Starter this Journey. Whenever i have the Feeling i Need a cigarette or Candy i take something better. I take 5 min for me, Witting on the Sofa doing nothing (perhaps Read something) and that is so much better. Chose something that you would Not allow. I think it is importanz to get the Feeling that you deserve Special Things because you a doing something Great. Stop Smoking is such a good Thing and will live you the Feeling you can do anything. I quitt After Smoking 13years and i always thought i couldNever ever. Be proud because you made such a good decision.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    As most have already said, quitting a bunch of stuff at once is really tough (unless you are locked up). Why not tackle one at a time?

You said you were quitting smoking. Does that mean you have quit? Have cut back? Thinking about quitting? Quit and slipped up a few times? I know for me, one of the things I had to do was change my language. Either I had quit smoking or I had not. Same with you. You decide. If you haven't already quit, pick a date - a reasonable date - that you will be smoke free. Stick to that quite date, no matter what. Psyche yourself up as the day approaches.

If you have already quit smoking, phrasing it as "quitting smoking" may be a subtle way for your brain to give you an out.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would do one at a time...my fiance uses the electric cig, and loves it!