DEFINITELY!!!

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
It's "definitely."

Not definatly, definately, deffinetly or any other bastardization.

The word is made up of the prefix "de," meaning "completely."

The root word is "finite," from the Latin "finitus," past participle of "finire," meaning "to limit, set bounds, end."

That makes it "definitely," meaning "completely precisely".

Don't worry. I ain't mad atchya. :flowerforyou: Just a friendly PSA in the guise of a snarky forum complaint.

::hugs::

Replies

• SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    **LIKE** it annoys me too!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    God, that one really winds me up when I see it spelt wrong.

Is it bad that bad grammar and spelling offends me??
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I always say "def." so I don't spell it wrong. LOL! I am fine with any error BUT "loose" and "lose". Grrrr
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    and IRREGARDLESS is NOT A WORD :)

Thought I'd add to it :)
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    So is it color or colour? How about neighbour or neighbor?

Though I agree spelling can at times be frustrating, but remember it is not everyone's mother tongue...for example I'm actually afrikaans =)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I always say "def." so I don't spell it wrong. LOL! I am fine with any error BUT "loose" and "lose". Grrrr

LIKE THOSE ADS.... "Loose with Lichi"!!!!!!!!

That makes me mad EVERY time I see it!!! These things are so annoying :(
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    and IRREGARDLESS is NOT A WORD :)

Thought I'd add to it :)

People really say that???? Wtf?!
  • WBish3
    WBish3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Love this post.
    Bad spelling really irritates me.
    My daughter keeps telling me I should have been an English teacher instead of a nurse.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Though I agree spelling can at times be frustrating, but remember it is not everyone's mother tongue...for example I'm actually afrikaans =)

Chill out. She said it was a helpful reminder, not an attack on anyone's intelligence. Now you know.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Yeah but those are accepted spellings in different parts of the world.

"Definately" is just misspelled.
  • chugglebunny
    Options

Depends if you are English or American...English with "U" American without....no idea why!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Your right...
  • Evermore1971
    Options
    I get really irritated at the use of "your" for "you're" . Another one I have seen lately that makes me shake my head is the use of the word "are" instead of "our". I am not perfect by any means and I do make spelling or grammar errors from time to time, but I do find it ridiculous that I correct my daughter and tell her that "more better" is not proper grammar only to hear the very same words coming from the mouth of a teacher at her school. WHAT!?!?
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options

To add a 'u' or not. I think it depends which side of the Atlantic you're on. For me it's Colour, neighbour and tyre (as in on your car, never tire), cheque not check. I'm sure there's a million others.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Growing up in Canada it is spelled coloUr and center is centre. Those words you cant fault people for , however definitely is definitely no matter where you are. Unless its another language of course.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm really thinking that a my fitness pal sister site should be set up , my grammar pal where people who really give a crap about spelling and punctuation can go on and "offer support" with their unworldly spell check skills or get help for misspelling words and not leaving enough spaces.

I’m thinking there could even be a ticker with like 3 days proper punctuation
    Ah who am I kidding I couldn’t give a rats I’m here for fitness not English but hey good luck with that I’m sure it’s a huge help
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm really thinking that a my fitness pal sister site should be set up , my grammar pal where people who really give a crap about spelling and punctuation can go on and "offer support" with their unworldly spell check skills or get help for misspelling words and not leaving enough spaces.

I’m thinking there could even be a ticker with like 3 days proper punctuation
    Ah who am I kidding I couldn’t give a rats I’m here for fitness not English but hey good luck with that I’m sure it’s a huge help

Sure, it's only important if you actually want to communicate. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
  • irishgal44
    Options
    Your right...

hahahahaha!!!!! They're funny, ain't they?

PS...bad grammar is what made me gain weight in the first place. Awareness people...grammar awareness. It kills!
  • irishgal44
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • irishgal44
    Options
    double post