Financial fitness group Part 1

Options

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I am a financial advisor and would be glad to give any advice. Everyone already knows the big tips like "Don't charge something you can't afford to pay cash for" or "Know the difference between wants and needs" or even "cook at home instead of eating out." Those are all wonderful tips. I also like to focus on little things and things people don't think of like shop around for insurance and don't have comprehensive on an older car. Turn your thermostat 1 degree hotter in summer and cooler in winter and you could save up to 20% of your heating/cooling costs. Also, one of my favorites is every penny counts. Things add up fast. I have clients who say "Well you showed me how to save $5/day but that's nothing when I'm $5000 in debt." True, $5/day is a drop in the bucket. But in a month that's $150. In a year it's $1825. In 10 years it's over $18,000. The problem is people are often unable or unwilling to think that far into the future. We're a society of instant gratification. If the debt can't be erased immediately then why does it matter if I buy another new pair of shoes? If the scale didn't move enough this week then why does it matter if I have this pizza? Think back 10 years (assuming you were old enough to have a real job 10 years ago). Do you think you could have saved $5/day starting 10 years ago? What about $2/day? If you had saved even $2/day 10 years ago you'd have $7300 today and that's if you stuck it in a mattress and didn't earn any interest at all.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input Bahet. I can not wait to get from debt reduction to saving!

Hinezie, that really sucks about your credit! Collection agencies are the devil LOL Hang in there lady it sounds like you are making some good steps!

Pantera, save save save! Glad to hear you got your credit card paid off!

Tmacs: LUCKY! I want to be a stay at home mom! guess I gotta get to being a mom first lol

Kap: I would really check out Dave ramsey's financial peace university work book. It has a lot about budgeting and stuff. I am really glad that hubby and I decided to to this no spending month because i think it will really make me more mindful of using the debit card. Just by even talking about doing it I realized that we have at least $100 extra that I should be spending

Everyone else: Good luck and welcome aboard! Does anyone have any goals for the month?
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I want in!!! I'm always trying to find ways to better my financial situation. I just today (coincidently) downnloaded an excel budget program to help me track my spending & keep on top of all of my expenses. I am 35 & paid off my house 5 years ago, 2 years ago, I paid off all my credit card debt and am currently close to paying off my truck one year early. I keep an "anti-credit card" account & I also have additional savings that I use to accumulate money for christmas, taxes, house & vehicle maintenance so as to be prepared for those unexpected costs when it comes time for car repairs and renovations.

Unfortunately this month I had to charge about $3000 in dental bills and I am planning a destination wedding next spring. My plan is to keep that under $4000. So at this point, I need to decide how to pay for those things without getting off track on my plans to pay off the truck in November, and my plans to save for a down payment on a new (used) car next summer. Any advise is appreciated.

I already do all those little things to save money, coupons, shop around, visit flea markets, repurpose old things, grow a garden. But there is always unplanned things that come up, birthday parties, gifts I have to buy, friends selling fundraisers, etc. Up to this point, I was comfortable with what I budgeted for my bills, expenses & savings & just get by on what's left for spending. I want to get a lot more detailed with tracking my gas & grocery & extra spending cash because I know there is more room for savings!! I've become obsessed with saving & after going for a couple of years with no credit card debt, I am freaking out that I am carrying a balance again!!! It's only $3000 now, but will soon grow when I book my wedding trip!! That is why I downloaded the excel budget plan I mentioned. Ok, yeah, it did cost me $15, but I definately plan to put it to good use. Anyone interested in it, there is a free demo you can check it out before you buy.

http://www.simpleplanning.net/Financial Calculators/BudgetPlanner.html?gclid=CICujbOnz6sCFYK-zAodCCN0Tw
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    jbdown: Welcome! I totally feel you with being obcessed with savings. My word of advice is "don't use your card." If you have savings is it earning more interest than you are paying on your card? If you have $4000 in savings at 2% then it makes no since to put 4,000 on a card at 11+/-....Granted I don't know what interest you have on your card or savings account but for my percentages it simply wouldn't make since for me to use my card for something when I have money in savings.....that being said, (I am only speaking for myself, so do whatever you want) I don't use my savings unless it is an emergency. I keep 1000 in savings and until I am out of credit card debt I always keep it at 1000 just for emergencies. For us this meant honeymooning in DC rather than Puerto Rico and it meant having our wedding on the beach here in NJ rather than flying out to CA with the family. With wedding planning it came down to what is more important to me: being prepared for a family by getting debt paid off or having an awesome honeymoon? FOR ME it was getting things paid off. For you having the destination wedding may be more important but do ask yourself the question. BTW, I think it's fantastic that you're not planning on going overboard. I was appauled to find out that 10,000 is considered a "budget" wedding
  • Bahet
    Options
    @ hinezie -- Contact the credit agencies directly and submit a copy of the paid debt along with a letter stating what you said here. Then report the debt collection agency for breach of fair debt collection practices. They cannot dictate the terms at which you repay. The fact that you pay it off whether it's an amount they like or not, is what matters.
  • Bahet
    Options
    Credit cards aren't the problem. Buying things on credit that you can't pay off every month is the problem. I buy EVERYTHING on my Discover card. It's like getting an automatic 2-5% discount (part of that whole $5/day thing :wink: ) BUT I pay the card off every month. So my money stays in the bank earning interest for an extra month on top of everything else. If you can't pay it off and have a high interest rate, call them and ask them to lower it. If you have good credit and a good history with them they will probably oblige. They'd rather lower your interest rate than lose you as a customer.

Jb, check into renting a wedding dress. My sister did that when she got married 10 years ago. She got a Vera Wang that would have cost more than some brand new cars for $200. You might also be able to borrow a dress from a friend. Don't pay too much mind to flower decorations either. When we got married we didn't get any flowers for the church. The wedding before us did and they were still there when it was time for our wedding. If you are going to invest in something make sure the food is good. People still talk about how good the cake and food was at our wedding 18 years ago but even I can't tell you if there were flowers on every table. We also did it buffet style which saved a lot of money.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    EmilyRanae22: I'm with ya on the not using the card thing. I do use my card because of the points my (soon to be) husband gets for Cabellas Merchandise. Over the years he has earned over $1200 worth of expensive hunting gear. BUT I always pay it off & we don't carry a balance. I charged the dental bills & actually haven't received the bill yet. I have almost enough to pay it off, but it will interfere with my plan to pay off the truck & other financial plans I have made. I guess my original plans need to change & I haven't decided what my plan of attack is yet!!! My boyfriend is working alot of overtime so we have some extra cash coming in & I'm hopeful we will bet back on track with saving instead of paying debt.

As for the wedding thing, I know people that spend $30,000 and up on a wedding. That is too much if you are just starting a family. In my case, I did the family thing first, we've been together 12 years, we both have kids from previous relationships & they are older now. We put off getting married for a long time, our kids, house, life, etc took priority but now it's time for us finally & I'm not interested in breaking the bank to get married. We are just going to run off together & do it. Ideally we would like to spend $3000 on an all-inclusive resort, but I understand it may go up to as much as $4000, but that is my limit. Some of the resorts offer complimentary wedding ceremonies. The alternative is a quick justice of the peace before we go off on a honeymoon. I'm buying a cheap dress too!!! Just want a simple white sundress & I'm going barefoot!!
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    My goal by the end of this weeked is to re-evaluate my budget, determine how I am going to move forward on paying debt & continuing to save, develop a plan to stick to it!!!
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    @ hinezie -- Contact the credit agencies directly and submit a copy of the paid debt along with a letter stating what you said here. Then report the debt collection agency for breach of fair debt collection practices. They cannot dictate the terms at which you repay. The fact that you pay it off whether it's an amount they like or not, is what matters.

Thank you so much!!! I am definitely going to take your advise and do what you said.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    My goal by the end of this weeked is to re-evaluate my budget, determine how I am going to move forward on paying debt & continuing to save, develop a plan to stick to it!!!

Sounds like a good goal. It sounds like you are not "carrying a balance" on your credit card so if you know you're going to pay it off I wouldn't let it stress you out. But i know how putting things on cards can cause anxiety. I wish I could use cards for the benefits but i'm no good at it so I just stick to cash
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Sounds like a good goal. It sounds like you are not "carrying a balance" on your credit card so if you know you're going to pay it off I wouldn't let it stress you out. But i know how putting things on cards can cause anxiety. I wish I could use cards for the benefits but i'm no good at it so I just stick to cash

JM and EM!!!!!
    Love that you guys know each other!! WOOT WOOT!!! Financial Party on MFP!!!!!!
  • jbdowns35
    Options

[/quote

I only got good at it once I finally got to the point that I paid off all my credit cards & had a zero balance. For the first time in my life Im debt free, (except for the truck payment) And moving ahead, finally starting to accumulate a savings & putting away ahead for things like xmas, taxes, car & house repairs. I was able to avoid charging anything I couldn't pay for by planning ahead for those things. That's why I'm frustrated, torn between carrying a balance or stripping my savings to the bone!!! I want to pay off my card (which is 8% interest I think) AND continue to save!!! Hoping to do both.
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    *BUMP* for later, I would like to join this thread too.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    im down. i love dave! i listen to him while im at work.

I was doing so good on the budget and then i went on vacation and have been slacking ever since. I have been wanting to get refocused and this thread is all the more reason why i should.

I have a profile on mytotalmoneymakeover.com also. Im known as boojie feel free to send me a friend request.
  • allykat25
    Options
    Hello, I just discovered this topic and am glad to have found it. I love Dave Ramsey and read his financial peace book a long time ago. My trouble is I don't have any credit cards, I just can't seem to spend wisely which leads to NO SAVING. I will check out the website this evening and post more later.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Welcome to the new girls! We are glad to have you on board! I feel like budgeting is one of the hardest things to do but we're all in it together! My position in the Coast Guard is a little precarious right now (I THINK I'll be out in July but I really have no clue) so hubby and I are in overdrive to try and get out of debt before that happens.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    We also are doing a "no spend month." (see link for more information) http://smallnotebook.org/2008/07/01/july-is-no-spend-month-whats-it-about/

I have done this before a few times...with a twist. The day after paying rent, car payment, etc., I will start a ten day, no-spending "spree." Let's just say that I hope that I had some foresight and had groceries.

The last time I did this was in July--middle of the summer, so there was plenty to do, right? I had a full tank of gas when I started, but my commute drains it by about day eight or nine--so I had to be chary of my car usage. In fact, I did end up carpooling one of the days.

Going even three days without spending a red cent was terribly difficult; however, I did make a minor concession--I could use the barter system for anything that did not include cash. For instance, I swapped records and CDs at my local record store...that's about as close to the "shopping experience" as I got.

I'll probably do another "ten day challenge" in mid-November...possibly leading up to Thanksgiving.
    -wtk

Postscript: Emily, you have an absolutely electric smile in your profile picture!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

Postscript: Emily, you have an absolutely electric smile in your profile picture!

I agree! She is lovely and so is her smile!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Awe thanks guys, you make me smile even more :) My hubby makes me happy, I can't help but beam with joy whenver he is around :)

10 day challenge of not spending AT ALL sounds like a good idea too. Maybe we will do that from time to time. Gas would be hard for that, during the summer I can ride my bike to work but those days are getting few and far between because it's so freaking cold! I may need to bundle up and do it anyway a few times this month though. We have a trip to Philly coming up so I need to make sure we have $30 for gas that day
  • Bahet
    Options
    When doing a no spending challenge I tell my clients that that means no spending unless it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise you are left sitting in the dark with no heat or AC and food rotting in the fridge if you want to get right down to it. You are spending on electricity, rent, mortgage, etc every day. Those are necessities so they don't count. It's not really about no spending at all. It's about spending ONLY what you absolutely MUST have.

I find that otherwise people who must fill up the gas tank twice a week don't even bother to participate or people who don't realize they are halfway through the last bag of diapers stop halfway through. The point isn't to not buy gas or diapers. The point is to not buy a new shirt or candles or a candy bar. You want to avoid going into stores as much as possibly and only go in if you absolutely need something and only buy that item thta you absolutely need. If your son drops the milk jug and you run out of milk go buy milk. just don't buy milk and a box of cereal and some bread and that product the sample lady was giving out. You want to go to the sotre, get the milk, and walk out with nothing else. You also don't want to feel guilty or that you failed the challenge because you needed gas in your car or milk. You not only didn't fail, you absolutely succeeded if those are the only items you bought.

By doingthe challenge like that you can do it much more often as well. It helps you learn to make shopping lists and stick to them. That's a major budget blower right there -- impulse buys. By doing the challenge and succeeding you can learn how good it really does feel to resist buying things you didn't really need or want.